Options

Want a 5D, have a 350D and 70-200...

ericgtrericgtr Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited April 11, 2007 in House of Canon
EDIT: I have decided to buy the 5D and will not be selling my lense. I will take offers for the 350D though.

This looks like the right place to ask, mods please feel free to move if not. The reason I am not starting a WTT thread is because I would like some feedback on this proposal first.

I am interested in a 5D. I am wondering how close of a match my 350D with my 70-200L IS lense would be. My first guess is that it's still not enough for the 5D (new or used, or trade) but would like to get your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 10, 2007
    Eric, way I see it, you don't have much to lose by asking. So I'm gonna move you straight into House of Canon where people with a 5D might see this thread. Worst that can happen is that you won't find any takers, right?

If you do think that you need to come up with extra money to make the trade happen, do some research and decide how much you're willing to add. You can research new prices easily, and a little bit of searching here or on ebay (or the like) might give you some costs for recent sales of used 5D's, 350D's and 70-200's. Good trades happen when both parties are well-informed.

good luck, you never know who's out there looking for what.

edit: I put some more info in your thread title too
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    dbaileydbailey Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 10, 2007
    ericgtr wrote:
    This looks like the right place to ask, mods please feel free to move if not. The reason I am not starting a WTT thread is because I would like some feedback on this proposal first.

I am interested in a 5D. I am wondering how close of a match my 350D with my 70-200L IS lense would be. My first guess is that it's still not enough for the 5D (new or used, or trade) but would like to get your thoughts.

Well, even if you were to get the brand new retail price on those items, I think you are short several hundred dollars for a used 5D... my humble opinion.. One other thing, it may be hard to find someone wanting to trade a 5D to a 350D... maybe you would fare better selling the items seperately or at least sell the 350D and dangle the 70-200 IS plus cash for a trade.. good luck!
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2007
    dbailey wrote:
    Well, even if you were to get the brand new retail price on those items, I think you are short several hundred dollars for a used 5D... my humble opinion.. One other thing, it may be hard to find someone wanting to trade a 5D to a 350D... maybe you would fare better selling the items seperately or at least sell the 350D and dangle the 70-200 IS plus cash for a trade.. good luck!

That's what I am thinking, if I get around $2000 I can shell out the rest. If I could convince my wife I would just by it :D
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    ericgtr wrote:
    That's what I am thinking, if I get around $2000 I can shell out the rest. If I could convince my wife I would just by it :D

what about buying a used 20 or 30D and saving that sweet @%% lens???? if/when you get that 5D you'll need that top shelf glass even more. just my $0.02

*or*

I have a trade for you...a sigma 70-200 2.8 macro plus a 350D kit for your canon lens? ;)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    F4 or F2.8. You didn't specify and it makes a big difference!

Good luck!
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Which 70-200 lens??
    HiSPL wrote:
    F4 or F2.8. You didn't specify and it makes a big difference!
    Absolutely -- now that Canon has four different 70-200 lenses, ya gotta be dead-on specific. Is this the 70-200 f/4L IS or the 70-200 f/2.8L IS? (I'm looking to buy one of the latter, myself -- if you actually decide to sell, feel free to drop me an email.)

(I'm guessing that it must be the 2.8L lens if you hope to get anywhere near $2K for the lens plus 350D body)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    I have decided (in other words got approval) to purchase the camera so I won't be selling my lense after all, for the record though it is a 2.8L IS. Thanks for the input everyone. Mods feel free to relabel as you see fit.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 11, 2007
    ericgtr wrote:
    I have decided (in other words got approval) to purchase the camera so I won't be selling my lense after all, for the record though it is a 2.8L IS. Thanks for the input everyone. Mods feel free to relabel as you see fit.
    Why don't you just toss an edit in your first post with an update.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]