A Matter Of Luck

BobCheongBobCheong Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited April 12, 2007 in Holy Macro
Sometimes butterfly shooting is a matter of luck. And today, the butterfly fairy smiled on me again. I was at this patch of undeveloped land at the northern end of Singapore, and not a butt was in sight. I took to shooting hoppers and dragonflies while hoping a butt would appear, any butt. But no, for more than an hour, the butts seemed all but disappeared into thin air. Then, as if by magic, a butt was sitting motionless right in front of me, and within arm length! I raised my camera to shoot, but that startled it. It flitted away to land a short distance away. I gingerly moved towards it, it stayed. I mount the camera on the monopod and took aim. It looked similar to a Black Banded Silverline, but the color's wrong. But a butt's a butt. I keep shooting and moving forward until I got it full frame. Then I saw that the 2nd & 3rd silvered lines of the forewing formed a V. It has to be a Long Banded Silverline! I've yet to have it in my collection! So I went back home and post it in our butt forum to confirm the ID. And yes, its a Long Banded Silverline. It's the only butt I got all day, but its a +1 to my collection.emteeth.gif

Long Banded Silverline:
070410LBSilverline-PU.jpg

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    That is a beautiful butterfly and a great capture! I don't think it was just luck....you were out there making this happen, so give yourself some credit!!! thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    eek7.gifwow beautiful photos of very beautiful butterfly it seems like it has 2 faces ! eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    I was gonna ask, this looks like 2 butts in one. (that didn't sound right) headscratch.gif

I feel your happiness, you put so much work into hunting this thing! Good for you. Hope you get more of those guys, they're beautiful!clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    BobCheong wrote:
    Sometimes butterfly shooting is a matter of luck. And today, the butterfly fairy smiled on me again. I was at this patch of undeveloped land at the northern end of Singapore, and not a butt was in sight. I took to shooting hoppers and dragonflies while hoping a butt would appear, any butt. But no, for more than an hour, the butts seemed all but disappeared into thin air. Then, as if by magic, a butt was sitting motionless right in front of me, and within arm length! I raised my camera to shoot, but that startled it. It flitted away to land a short distance away. I gingerly moved towards it, it stayed. I mount the camera on the monopod and took aim. It looked similar to a Black Banded Silverline, but the color's wrong. But a butt's a butt. I keep shooting and moving forward until I got it full frame. Then I saw that the 2nd & 3rd silvered lines of the forewing formed a V. It has to be a Long Banded Silverline! I've yet to have it in my collection! So I went back home and post it in our butt forum to confirm the ID. And yes, its a Long Banded Silverline. It's the only butt I got all day, but its a +1 to my collection.emteeth.gif

Long Banded Silverline:

Hi Bob, what a beautiful and odd looking Butterfly.
    I have never seen one of these ever, this is the first one I have seen.
    WOW it looks like two creatures all rolled into one.
    Excellent capture too clap.gif
    The butterly has quite a thick body to go with that odd looking Butt :D
    Congratulations on your capture and thank you for sharing.
    ....... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    I agree with everyone else:D beautiful butterfly and great capture. Hope to see more of your shots.

Jill
    Jill
  • BobCheongBobCheong Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Thanks for your comments folks! There are quite a number of butterflies that have tails and eye-spots to fool predators, heres another, the Common Imperial:
    CommonImperial04.jpg
  • SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Bob, your first butterfly pic is very beautiful. I like the "don't know which way he is going look"...a great defensive camouflage.
    My Photo Playground:
    www.flickr.com/photos/serrator
  • couriermancourierman Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    nice shots ,you have really nice looking butterfly's out there
    Click here to see >>>>My Photos :photo

Canon EOS 40D, MP-E 65 2.8, Sigma EM-140 DG
    Canon EOS 400D Firmware 1.1.1,EF-S 18 55,EF 28 105,Sigma 150 EX DG APO macro,Sigma 70 300 APO DG
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Beautiful capture!! clap.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Beautiful capture- must say - had me fooled- thought it was two butterflies for a short while.
    Brian v.
  • BobCheongBobCheong Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Thanks for your comments Serrator, Courierman, Delantech and Brain V.

Delantech - I love that article on macro shooting, very informative. thumb.gif