Slim or regular filter for an ultra wide angle?

TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
edited April 16, 2007 in Cameras
I just got the Tokina 12-24 and need to pick up a B+W UV and circ polarizer. Can any Tokina owners advise on the need to get the slim version of filters for this lens (or any UWA for that matter) to minimize image quality interference/degradation?
Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 11, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    I just got the Tokina 12-24 and need to pick up a B+W UV and circ polarizer. Can any Tokina owners advise on the need to get the slim version of filters for this lens (or any UWA for that matter) to minimize image quality interference/degradation?

Trust the manufacturers' recommendations. If there is nothing in the documentation that came with the lens, shoot them an e-mail.

Considerations include the filter size and the angle-of-view along with the mounting distance from the front element.

Slim filters are usually a safe bet unless you need to stack filters, which is generally not recommended on SWA/UWA lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Slim. SUPER slim deal.gif
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Actually, in this case, not so much. Remember that the Tokina 12-24 is for crop bodies (yeah, it will fit on the 1.3 and FF, but it vignettes over most of it's range anyway).

I have the 12-24 and have used a standard B+W CPL with no vignetting. Head over to maxsaver.net and get the 77mm B+W KSM CPL--it's only $10 more than the non-KSM, so why not? ...huh, maxsaver just renamed & set up a new website; business must be good. Anyway, here's a direct link to what you want: http://hvstar.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=36 deal.gifthumb This is the exact filter I'm using with no vignetting.
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Yeah, but what about that day years from now when that full frame dslr is in the same price range that you paid for the 1.6 crop? You'll want that thin CPL then. That's why for my 10-22 I bought the thin even though a regular would of been fine.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 14, 2007
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Khaos wrote:
    Yeah, but what about that day years from now when that full frame dslr is in the same price range that you paid for the 1.6 crop? You'll want that thin CPL then. That's why for my 10-22 I bought the thin even though a regular would of been fine.

That's assuming I WANT the FF DSLR, price notwithstanding. I know most 5D users cannot fathom this, but I *don't* want one. The compromises vs the crop bodies (1.6 or 1.3) went the wrong way. Believe it or not, not everyone is drooling for a 5D. ne_nau.gif

Also, that 10-22 won't be any good on a FF, much less the 12-24 being discussed, and a CPL on those (even crop bodies) is of questionable use since the FOV is still too darn wide for them to work effectively.

Also, choosing the Tokina over the Canon, often budget is part of the choice with a $150-200 difference; avoiding the extra cost of a slim filter may figure fairly large.