In Camera Viewing of Pictures

macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited April 12, 2007 in Cameras
I was reading a book by Susan McCartney and in it she wrote that viewing images by camera playback degrades them. Is this reported other places? Has anyone seen this happen to images?
Joe

www.joemcdowellphotography.com
www.joemcdowellphotography.blogspot.com

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 10, 2007
    macmac wrote:
    I was reading a book by Susan McCartney and in it she wrote that viewing images by camera playback degrades them. Is this reported other places? Has anyone seen this happen to images?

No way! The only possible interaction would be if you were reviewing images while the buffer was still dumping. I have heard of minor problems occuring with some older cameras (very old digital cameras), but nothing produced in the last 7 or 8 years seems to be affected.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    Maybe she meant that the playback image on the camera LCD is degraded when compared to the image stored in memory.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited April 10, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Maybe she meant that the playback image on the camera LCD is degraded when compared to the image stored in memory.

Good lateral thinking! thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    That makes sense. Good translation!

Never trust the image in the little LCD screen. If you have a histogram, use it. if your camera gives you blinkies for overexposed bits, trust them.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Quote from book: "Do be aware that each time you play back a digital image in teh camera, it may degrade the final result..."
    Joe

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    macmac wrote:
    Quote from book: "Do be aware that each time you play back a digital image in teh camera, it may degrade the final result..."
    That is just dum :)

You may safely ignore that deal.gif
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:

You may safely ignore that deal.gif

I haven't read the book, but it makes you wonder what other info is offbase.rolleyes1.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    eek7.gif ...and this is a PUBLISHED book? I'd either demand a refund or at least round file that book. She obviously has no clue how digital cameras actually operate--Andy was being kind with his comments. I'd expect that kind of nonsense claim in some forums (not here, though), but not in a book.

Huh, frighteningly Amazon shows 11 books by her, though the last one is ironically appropriate considering this bit of misinformation. Out of sick curiosity, which book was it you found this in?
    edited April 11, 2007
    I GET IT!!! What she 'MUST' be referring to is the JPEG compression. And that every time you open and work on a JPEG file ... the compression methodology employed will eat away at the total information. Hence degrade.

What do you guys think?

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    I GET IT!!! What she 'MUST' be referring to is the JPEG compression. And that every time you open and work on a JPEG file ... the compression methodology employed will eat away at the total information. Hence degrade.

What do you guys think?

Gary
    Maybe, but what does that have to do with in camera viewing? ne_nau.gif
    edited April 11, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Maybe, but what does that have to do with in camera viewing? ne_nau.gif

Absolutely nothing ... which is why macmac is confused. The statement is just plain wrong.

This illustrates how people can make statements and claim themselves an expert in areas which they really haven't the knowledge ... and still make money. (Pretty sad state of affairs, where I, a person with very limited and purely practical computer knowledge, knew more of the subject than the author.)
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Agreed. Sounds like someone who doesnt really know what she's talking about.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
    edited April 11, 2007
    If that is true, with regard to jpg compression, then you shouldn't open and close the files on the camera or the computer...???

I would assume raw would not suffer any degrading since they are not compressed.
    Joe

edited April 11, 2007
    I just found an interesting article on this subject.

A quote from the article: "Important warning to readers: loading and saving a JPG repeatedly will accumulate the small errors introduced, so that the image can seriously degrade. Working copies of images should be kept in a lossless format."

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/jpg_vs_gif/JpgCompTest/index.html

The title of the article is "How Bad is JPG?"

ne_nau.gif
    Joe

edited April 11, 2007
    macmac wrote:
    If that is true, with regard to jpg compression, then you shouldn't open and close the files on the camera or the computer...???

I would assume raw would not suffer any degrading since they are not compressed.

Just opening and closing a JPG file does not "recompress" the image, and it is the compression and recompression that does the damage, because JPG is a "lossy" type of compression. If you open a JPG file and change it and then save it again as a JPG file, you are recompressing the image and can seriously degrade the image in the process.

Other compression algorithms are "lossless", like RLE and ZIP that can be used with TIF files. Most RAW image files "are" compressed, but they use a "lossless" compression that completely recovers all the original data.
    ziggy53
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    macmac wrote:
    I just found an interesting article on this subject.

A quote from the article: "Important warning to readers: loading and saving a JPG repeatedly will accumulate the small errors introduced, so that the image can seriously degrade. Working copies of images should be kept in a lossless format."
    'and saving' is the important part here.

Just looking at the jpg in camera, doesn't save anything again.
    edited April 11, 2007
    This has turned into a very educational thread...Thanks! I've learn a lot about jpg...what to do and what not to do.

1. Viewing jpg image on camera is ok. It does not hurt the file.
    2. Viewing jpg on computer is ok. It does not hurt the file because you are not resaving the file therefore it is not being recompressed. - which will degrade the file.
    3. When making changes to an image file always use a copy so as not to recompress the original....always a good idea...work with a copy for changes.
    Joe

• BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Jpeg degradation by repeated saving was discussed historically. Unfortunately, Shay has removed the pics he referred to.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=14922

I don't where that author got the notion from that viewing degrades the image, but as already mentioned it's total rubbish. The unfortunate thing is that because it is now "in a book" it is taken to be gospel.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    macmac wrote:

No way..deal.gif

Thanks for the info though! thumb.gif (...adding the book author to the black list...)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    I don't where that author got the notion from that viewing degrades the image, but as already mentioned it's total rubbish. The unfortunate thing is that because it is now "in a book" it is taken to be gospel.

That's the part that is troubling. So now a lot of newbies are going to read that & take it as fact--and we are going to have to convince them the book is indeed incorrect. Worse, some of her books are published by Anherst. :nah

Makes you wonder if an editor even *read* the manuscript? I'm still curious which book this misinformation appeared in.