Options

Can you identify this dance?

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited April 14, 2007 in People
Cat-Dance_MG_3796.jpg

As I was returning from lunch today I came across this very unusual performance. An Asian girl with cat mask was performing a slow moving dance to the rhythm of her drums. I wonder if anyone can identify the dance and its cultural origins?

Comments

• Options
    frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Great shot Ted, really like the way you've included the guy watching in the background......

The costume looks Japanese, dont know about the dance though.... Saw her as well in Pitt Street Mall .........
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    frg wrote:
    The costume looks Japanese, dont know about the dance though....
    15524779-Ti.gif

Definitely Japanese. I can't think of what festival/occasion it would be. Maybe Shima would know?
    The cat is an often-used symbol in Japan too - I'm sure you've seen these:
    maneki_neko.gif
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Umm....
    The Polka? Sorry, don't know this one. This frame is incredibly busy but for some reason it works. Probably because the contrasting images from stripes to pink. An interesting candid for sure.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Apparently this is not a cat but a white fox called kitsune. Ah well, as they say "you learn something everyday"
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Apparently this is not a cat but a white fox called kitsune. Ah well, as they say "you learn something everyday"
    11doh.gif-and I thought I was good at being unauthoritative!
    "Ki.tsu.ne" means fox in Japanese, but I'm still at a loss for the dance.
    Must ask wife.
  • Options
    kmphuakmphua Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Not sure exactly what dance this is, but it may be related to a traditional event called the "Kitsune no Yomeiri Douchu" (Fox Bridal Procession), held every year in Mie Prefecture in Japan, which is described as:

A magnificent old-fashioned celebration with the men and women of that year in the Chinese zodiac dressed as foxes. It is a festive parade with a red ogre and a blue ogre leading the way, followed by the bridegroom and bride, men carrying the bride's trousseau and other chests, musicians playing flutes and drums, and parade of children.

kitune.jpg
    Canon 300D | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.8 Mk II
    My SmugMug gallery