Options

Marlow Bridge - CC please

Roy MathersRoy Mathers Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited April 14, 2007 in Landscapes
Comments on this picture - negative or positive - would be very welcome.

Comments

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Well not very good at this but here goes.

Photo is too busy to me looks like the church and the bridge are great subjects but not together.ne_nau.gif

Maybe different angle or framing the church little different

Fred
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    It's definitely busy.

On the plus side, an excellent exposure, love the sky.

It seems to me the bridge and steeple are fighting each other. The bridge doesn't feel like it comfortably frames the church, it's too tight maybe.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    Well not very good at this but here goes.

Photo is too busy to me looks like the church and the bridge are great subjects but not together.ne_nau.gif

Maybe different angle or framing the church little different

Fred

I understand and appreciate your comments, but don't some of your own pictures (such as http://www.riverbendphotos.com/gallery/350921/1/4699278/Medium) display more business? This is not said unpleasantly, but in an effort to understand what you mean.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    I understand and appreciate your comments, but don't some of your own pictures (such as http://www.riverbendphotos.com/gallery/350921/1/4699278/Medium) display more business? This is not said unpleasantly, but in an effort to understand what you mean.

Just trying to add my .02$ thats why I stated I am not very good at this:D

As far as the photo (my photo) your right its almost the same.
    I am always trying to get better...I think I amne_nau.gif

Also I am not the best house keeper...I should go thru my site and cut out some of dead wood.:D

Fred
  • Options
    LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    An interesting concept, and I think it would work well if you could manage to get the steeple construct entirely within the bridge uprights rather than havint it "cut" by one of them.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    LilleG wrote:
    An interesting concept, and I think it would work well if you could manage to get the steeple construct entirely within the bridge uprights rather than havint it "cut" by one of them.

Fair point - perhaps I'll have to go back and do it againmwink.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    You need to pick a subject. Neither the bridge or the church seem to stand out as the primary and they don't compliment each other. Work on the bridge when the time of day where the sun will give you those cool shadows from all its parts. Also work with some leading lines. Bridges are full of them. And try some different angles to see what works best.

Here's one I just posted in another thread and recently took. I lead you into the shot and use the time of day to get some contrasty shadow work to help compliment the bridges design. This is just one of many angles I could of chosen. Go have some fun and experiment and show us your results.

141715012-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Khaos wrote:
    You need to pick a subject. Neither the bridge or the church seem to stand out as the primary and they don't compliment each other. Work on the bridge when the time of day where the sun will give you those cool shadows from all its parts. Also work with some leading lines. Bridges are full of them. And try some different angles to see what works best.

Here's one I just posted in another thread and recently took. I lead you into the shot and use the time of day to get some contrasty shadow work to help compliment the bridges design. This is just one of many angles I could of chosen. Go have some fun and experiment and show us your results.

141715012-L.jpg

Thanks for the comments Keith. Oh my, this is all so subjective isn't it? One of the points made about my picture was that it is too 'busy'. Now, I love your picture of the bridge, but couldn't that jusfiably be called 'busy' as well - arguably, in fact, 'busier'. As I say, I like the picture, but wouldn't the same people who thought my picture busy think the same about yours?
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Thanks for the comments Keith. Oh my, this is all so subjective isn't it? One of the points made about my picture was that it is too 'busy'. Now, I love your picture of the bridge, but couldn't that jusfiably be called 'busy' as well - arguably, in fact, 'busier'. As I say, I like the picture, but wouldn't the same people who thought my picture busy think the same about yours?

To me, busy is a lack of a focal point or primary subject. If you ar not consistently drawn back to a certain area, then the photo is too busy. If your eyes wander everywhere and nothing seems to stand out, then that's too busy. It's not having too many things in the shot, but more of not having one thing being the main subject.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Khaos wrote:
    To me, busy is a lack of a focal point or primary subject. If you ar not consistently drawn back to a certain area, then the photo is too busy. If your eyes wander everywhere and nothing seems to stand out, then that's too busy. It's not having too many things in the shot, but more of not having one thing being the main subject.

Thanks Keith