Options

GREECE: Santorini

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited April 14, 2007 in Journeys
Santorini
133683304-M.jpg
Small church in the village of Oia, Santorini, Greece. There are well over one hundred Greek Orthodox churches on this island with a population of 7,000. The village of Oia still retains some of the charm of the past, not completely ruined by the tourism trade.

135834860-L.jpg
A cab driver on the island of Thira, Santorini Greece, epitomizes the tough, proud but open and kind people of Greece.

Story and Photos by Thomas Hyde
© 2007, All Rights Reserved

I read a travelogue once where a woman said, "Ah Greece, it hurts me so."

I didn't understand at the time but I do now - the scenery, the people, the food, the lifestyle, the history everywhere you turn - Greece can take your breath away. Leaving can tear a hole in your heart, a longing that can only be satisfied by once again ambling down thousands-year-old marble mule trails that wind through the Greek countryside, your dusty feet and sandles tracing the same paths that were there before the time of Christ.

We traveled to three of the islands in the Cyclades - Santorini, Milos and Sifnos - each with its own charm. The group of islands named Santorini, with the island of Thira being the primary and most visited, are one of the most photographed and stunning islands in the world. Sitting at the juncture of two continental plates, Santorini is volcanic. Around 1500 B.C. the island exploded and the resulting tsunami may have led to the demise of the Minoan civilization on Crete and given rise to the legend of Atlantis. Today Santorini is a group of islands surrounding the 6-mile volcanic caldera now filled with the sea. Sheer cliffs of red, black and brown rise hundreds of feet out of the painfully rich blue waters of the Caldera.

We flew into the island from Athens, which afforded an incredible bird's eye view of the Greek Isles stretched across the Aegean. It helped that my wife and I were traveling with my brother and his family. In the early 1980's they spent five years living in Athens and teaching at the American School there. They return now to Greece with my nephews every few years and have visited more than 30 islands. They lament some of the changes as globalization begins to strip away the rich cultural heritage. For instance, the once common sight of old men playing backgammon at the ouzeri was not seen once by us on this two week trip.

133679543-M.jpg
The city of Fira perches on the edge of the caldera at Santorini Greece. The caldera of the ancient volcano stretches out welcoming the many cruise ships that come here. Tourism has ruined Fira. The islands population of 7,000 can swell to more than 80,000 as the largest cruise ships in the world, often two or three or more at a time, disgorge their thousands of passengers all at once to descend on the island.

Hordes of tourists descend on Santorini's main city of Fira and have all but ruined this ancient city. Nearby though, all is not lost. Further down the island the village of Oia perches on a spine of the island stretching toward its famous sunsets over the Aegean. Most of the village has been rebuilt after much of it was destroyed in a devastating 1956 earthquake.

133682906-M.jpg
The Spine of Oia. Homes of traditional cubic architecture, many with rounded rooftops, straddle one end of the island of Thira in Santorini, Greece. Traditional cave houses descend down the cliffs giving stunning views of the caldera. Many can be rented for reasonable charges although there are very expensive resorts interspersed throughout.

133683260-M.jpg
Village of Oia, Santorini, Greece.

Oia's white houses cling to the cliff face. We stayed in a wonderful traditional cave house at Delfini Studios (highly recommended).

The months of July and August are often the busiest and hottest. August winds can be strong. Many smart travelers come here in June or September, but the low humidity and patchy clouds at sunset make October the favorite month of photographers. While we spent five days in Santorini in early July, the crowds were minimal as the World Cup played out in living rooms throughout Europe. When we left Santorini for the island of Milos on a ferry, however, the world's two largest cruise ships sailed into the caldera and thousands of tourists rushed through the streets to take in as much as they could in the short time allotted.

That's the difference between a tourist and a traveler. The tourist grabs as many experiences as fast as they can, often taking pictures of people paparazzi style, and never really experiencing a place. Travelers, on the other hand, take their time, get to know people, talk to residents and ask to take their picture. Travelers gain a more rich experience through immersion. It can be difficult at times to be a traveler; to come out of your shell and cross barriers of culture, language and our own insecurities but the rewards are many as we realize we are all citizens of the world.

From my Amercian perspective, Greece is a wonderful place to start world travels. The people are very kind and open, although you must often make the first gesture to open communication. Crime is almost nonexistent and costs are reasonable if you stay a bit off the beaten path. Greece is an EU country so the exchange rate for U.S. dollars does put a dent in the wallet but this can be offset by staying in Class B or C properties.

Photography, for me, has also been a means to better experience a place. It helps me to "see" more and can be a bridge between cultures if approached well. I do, though, at times have to force myself to put down my camera.

That was especially true in Santorini. It is an incredibly magical and special place. I will do anything and everything to return to Greece as soon as I am able.

133683233-M.jpg
Roundhouse Dawn. Traditional houses restored in the village of Oia, Santorini, Greece.

133687560-M.jpg
Traditional house overloooking the caldera of Santorini in the Village of Oia, Santorini, Greece.

133685706-M.jpg
Travel thousands of miles, check your bags on the airplane, then have them carried through the village of Oia in Santorini, Greece, in the ancient way.

133687141-M.jpg
Exploring the labyrinth of old donkey trails and paths leading through the village of Oia can yield discoveries of old cave houses not yet converted or restored for tourist lodging.

133687291-M.jpg
A traditional cave house in the initial process of restoration in the village of Oia, Santorini, Greece.

133682272-M.jpg
A good morning view from the balcony at our cave house in the
village of Oia, Santorini, Greece. Here is our perfect breakfast and perfect view of the caldera of Santorini. Greek coffee, orange juice, yogurt and honey, and a little pastry from the village bakery just down the street.

133681750-M.jpg
Early evening view from our traditional cave house in the village of Oia, Santorini, Greece.

133683125-M.jpg
The sun rises onto the village of Oia.

133684989-M.jpg
Sunday morning on the narrow, marble "main street" in the village of Oia, Santorini, Greece.

133685544-M.jpg
Widows traditionally dress in black for seven years. Here, two yia yais (grandmothers) walk to Sunday morning services.

133685972-M.jpg
Morning stroll in the village of Oia.

133686105-M.jpg
Morning on the narrow main street in Oia.

135835973-M.jpg
Morning on the narrow main street in Oia.

133686218-M.jpg
View of the caldera from the main street of Oia, Santorini, Greece.

133686742-M.jpg
Thousands upon thousands of stairs wind through a labyrinth of pathways in the village of Oia, Santorni, Greece.

133682798-M.jpg
A young boy looks out a window in village of Oia, Santorini, Greece.

133682746-M.jpg
Traditional fishiing boats in the small village of Ammoudhi, Santorini, Greece. The fishing village with several wonderful seafood tavernas is located below Oia down a winding switchback trail of 200 steps or so

133682656-M.jpg
These fisherman worked in their boat just 30 feet from where we ate lunch in the outdoor taverna. Village of Ammoudhi, Santorini, Greece

133687992-M.jpg
Boats in the other small fishing village of Armeni located at the base of the village of Oia. Santorini, Greece.

133685321-M.jpg
Blue and white, blue and white. The most predominant colors in the Greek Isles.

133688800-M.jpg
Night descends on Oia, Santorini, Greece.

133686340-M.jpg
Most photographed. Sunset over the Aegean with the windmills of Santorini.

133684855-M.jpg
The Waiter's Closet. Village of Oia.

133687778-M.jpg
Sunset in Oia.

133687857-M.jpg
Night scene in Oia.

133688353-M.jpg
Moonrise over the Caldera in Oia, Santorini, Greece.

133688260-M.jpg
Dinner with a view. Oia, Santorini, Greece.

133681936-M.jpg
Night scene in Oia.

133688747-M.jpg
The moon and the cat. Village of Oia, Santorini, Greece. Good night.

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Nice journey you just took me on, seastack. Such a beautiful place. Great pictures.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Wow, fantastic colors. Thanks for the trip!
    Chris
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Excellent work, just beautiful images! Thanks for sharing these! clap.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 11, 2007
    Wow! Amazing pics T.
  • Options
    nwilkinsnwilkins Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Breathtaking pix!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!
    Nancy Wilkins
    Canon 5D
    Canon 40D
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 11, 2007
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    your images and story make me yearn to visit the Greek Isles. I've actually developed a friendship with a fellow forum member who is greek and threatens to take me to his greece in a couple of years. bsvirginianthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    your images and story make me yearn to visit the Greek Isles. I've actually developed a friendship with a fellow forum member who is greek and threatens to take me to his greece in a couple of years. bsvirginianthumb.gif

Don't think twice! The airfare was half our travel cost so once you get there it's not too bad. Greece was just incredible, I could spend a lifetime there. I'd just bought my first digital SLR (5d) when I went last year, I'm so glad I did.
  • Options
    pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Thanks for posting these great pictures. I went to Santorini a long time ago. Greece is a fascinating country to experience, that's for sure.
  • Options
    sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Lovely pics.! Went to Santorini in June 2004 with my Greek boyfriend and decided I had to marry him :D - absolutely loved it! Did you get to go to the red beach near the southern rim (near Akrotiri?) It's quite amazing.

Cheers, Sunita
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    sunita wrote:
    Lovely pics.! Went to Santorini in June 2004 with my Greek boyfriend and decided I had to marry him :D - absolutely loved it! Did you get to go to the red beach near the southern rim (near Akrotiri?) It's quite amazing.
    Cheers, Sunita

Congratulations! I wish I had checked out that beach but I didn't. Looks like I'll have to go back!

Tom
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    What a wonderful series of images, thanks for sharing, I must get back to Greece and all the wonderful little islands. I love the donkey and suitcase image, I should imagine that would be a nice little earner as a stock image.

Charlie
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Awe inspiring!!!!

Thank You for sharing these, they are wonderful

ann
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    wow, Wow, WOW. Some amazing pictures and a great adventure. Very warm and brilliant colors in your photos.

Thanks for sharing!! thumb.gif

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    allensfotoallensfoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    :wow :wow :wow OMG ... those are amazing .. i am teaching about greece right now .. and would love to go ..
    thanks for sharing .
    Curtis
    Failure is not an option for me,
    So i just keep pressing the shutter and trying again.
    http://allensfoto.net
    :gun2
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited April 12, 2007
    I have always enjoyed the brilliant color of the Greek Islands.

And you hit on one of the keys to traveling. Be a traveler and not a tourist--that observation can really make a difference between a good trip and great trip.

Thank you for the tour!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    These photos are amazing, and you've just solidified that I have to get my butt to Greece sometime soon...
  • Options
    kmphuakmphua Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Beautiful contrast on your photos, it feels like I'm standing in front of the Aegean now! Thank you for the great trip, Thomas! clap.gif
    Canon 300D | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.8 Mk II
    My SmugMug gallery
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    I thought I'd add this one pic because it reminds me of the greatest photo I never took.

We all have those stories of shots that could have been but weren't, often because we just shot the last frame on the roll or broke our rule about always leaving some space on the card just in case - like the nuns in full habit riding down the beach on a bright red moped, frocks flying in the wind, joy on their faces, a net with clams swinging off the back, but that's another story.

In Oia I went to church one Sunday morning. I just wanted to experience it. If you've never been in a Greek Orthodox church they are stunning with religious paintings, icons, brass and gold everywhere.

Before I went in, I took this photo from outside of a man reading morning prayer (at least I assume that is what he's doing).

133683312-M.jpg

As I entered, dressed in long pants and shirtsleeves out of respect, I dropped a donation in the box following the example of other patrons. An old woman dressed in black, her hair covered, looked me up and down, twice, then stepped aside and nodded slightly. I pointed to the camera over my shoulder and spread my hand across the scene in the church. Her vehement head shaking and finger wagging was unmistakable. No photos. I could have tried to explain I didn't have a flash but I doubt it would have made any difference and only have served to interrupt the reverent hush.

I went to the back and sat down. The service was long as several priests swung incense burners on chains, chanting and slowly walking around the gold altar at the front of the church. Behind the altar was a wall of paintings, obviously quite old. It turned out they were a series of panels and doors that could be moved.

An ancient priest dressed in white robes, unlike the others dressed all in black, went to one of these and opened it. He was very old, his long white hair sticking straight out off his head in all directions. Leaving the door open, he went into a small room. The morning sun shone through a stainglass window in the back of the room cutting colored beams through a haze of incense smoke. The ancient priest was backlit, his hair turned to golden flax, his face awash with golden light in a room full of gold chalices, crosses, five-foot high ornate candlesticks, and icons. Smoke curled slowly up from the incense burner swinging slowly from the chain still in his hand. Colors and reflections danced across his flowing white gown. It was breathtaking. I have never seen anything like it.

I looked down at my camera. I turned my head to the left and staring at me, as if sensing my temptation, was the woman who first greeted me. She had a stern look. I smiled, relaxed and sat back into the chair. It's the greatest photo I never took and the image is seared into my memory like few others. I have no regrets. Perhaps that's because respect is infinitely more important than "getting the shot." I passed the ugly American test.
  • Options
    HarpHarp Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    What a great story, I can picture it in my mind, I have never been to Greece but the photos are breathtaking. Thanks for the great visual of the the photo you never took. It's renews your faith in values. I have always remembered one thing that fits here.
    Life is not measured in how many breaths you take, but in the moments that take your breath away.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    You've done two things with your post here:

1. I can't seem to stop thinking things like "wow" and "stunning" when looking through the pics.

2. I can't seem to shake the idea of travelling to Greece now.

Thank you.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    DanspageDanspage Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Great post!
    Did you get to the ancient archaeological site on Santorini?
    If you did please post a few pics.
    If not you have to go back. The dig is under a structure so a good tripod is a must. I can't remember the date but The city was buried during the eruption in 1400bc. The people all escaped the city in a hurry. Talk about a time warp, this place was deserted with almost every thing in place.

Loved your post!
    Daniel
    http://danspage.smugmug.com/
    Scratch Nikon I switched to
    Canon 5d mark II
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Danspage wrote:
    Great post!
    Did you get to the ancient archaeological site on Santorini?
    If you did please post a few pics.
    If not you have to go back. The dig is under a structure so a good tripod is a must. I can't remember the date but The city was buried during the eruption in 1400bc. The people all escaped the city in a hurry. Talk about a time warp, this place was deserted with almost every thing in place.

That's another reason to go back, it was closed for renovation when I was there. So many reasons!
  • Options
    MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    That's another reason to go back, it was closed for renovation when I was there. So many reasons!

Breathtaking pictures! Thanks for sharing them, and the church story too.

I love Greece. Great country with very nice and friendly people.