Options

Pocket camera with waist level capability

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited March 12, 2005 in Cameras
The designs that allow one to shoot waist level seem to be on their way out. I'm interested in a camera that still has this capability (like old coolpix or f828 or Canon Pro), but I want it small and bulletproof. I'm afraid that >5mp sensors will make it useless in low light, which wouldn't be worth it. I already have the higher res thing covered.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 31, 2005
    i picked up a discontinued display-unit Coolpix SQ at the local Ritz for just this reason (helluva deal too): Small, pocket size, waist shooter. But you're right, I'm not sure many of these are on the market right now. The Canon A's have the flip out screen, but not really pocket size.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    The designs that allow one to shoot waist level seem to be on their way out. I'm interested in a camera that still has this capability (like old coolpix or f828 or Canon Pro), but I want it small and bulletproof. I'm afraid that >5mp sensors will make it useless in low light, which wouldn't be worth it. I already have the higher res thing covered.

How about this? :D I will be in Japan in a couple of weeks and could probably pick it up for you.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    How about this? :D I will be in Japan in a couple of weeks and could probably pick it up for you.
    I've seen these before on the web. They are so cool, but somehow I don't think it's actually what I'm after.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I've seen these before on the web. They are so cool, but somehow I don't think it's actually what I'm after.
    the 2mp fixed focus 9mm lens for $400 doesn't appeal to you? What a shock rolleyes1.gif But it is really cool isn't it.

Seriously then. Wouldn't any of the dcams that have a swivel lens work for you?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    the 2mp fixed focus 9mm lens for $400 doesn't appeal to you? What a shock rolleyes1.gif But it is really cool isn't it.

But they are getting fewer and further between.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    But they are getting fewer and further between.
    Pentax OptioX???
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    do you want to check out my SQ? if you really don't need much resolution, I can't think of a more svelte waist shooter. That pentax looks like it would fall apart if you dropped it.
    Erik

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Pentax OptioX???

I don't know if this is what you mean, but the new Kodak Easyshare One looks pretty cool. Swivel LCD, 3" screen 4mpx, stylus for editing...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:

I've actually got the medium format film version on its way to me :D

$40, but I don't think it will fit in the pocket.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I've actually got the medium format film version on its way to me :D

$40, but I don't think it will fit in the pocket.

Dave
    Has the world really come to that. A Roliflex for $40? Maybe we should all reconsider this digital thing...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Has the world really come to that. A Roliflex for $40? Maybe we should all reconsider this digital thing...

It's not a real roliflex, but a damn good replica. Roli is keeping *some* value due to its name and cult following. But film cameras have depreciated to almost nothing.

I bought an excelent condition Nikon FG & 50mm f/1.8 for $40 this weekend. I've already ran some film through it, and it works like new.

With these prices, I've decided to have some fun with film.

Dave
  • Options
    SchockwaveSchockwave Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2005
    I have the Canon Powershot S1 IS, which has the swivel out screen, that will turn 360 degrees and use a digital LCD screen shade on the swivel out screen, which improves visibility outside.thumb.gifwink
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    J: This is a new one from Sony. It is 1" thick.

From Steve's:
    "There are several angles you can capture with the F88's rotating lens including waist level and above-the-head shots. Its ability to rotate makes the camera perfect for hard-to-obtain low angle candid shots and for taking above-the-head close-up shots during crowded events. Creative shots can also be captured with the camera’s self-timer feature. Set the camera on table, angle the lens as needed and trigger the self-timer for steady self-portraits."

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/f88.html

An F88 gallery:
    http://www.pbase.com/xers/07001

H: Or you might now find a good deal on a Kyocera (or Contax):
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/sl300rt.html

But act fast. Kyocera/Contax is going out of digital camera production.

J&H
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    sony definitely has the market for stealth hip shooters. i hadn't seen this one yet... thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    sony definitely has the market for stealth hip shooters. i hadn't seen this one yet... thumb.gif
    J: And I had forgotten about the neat little SQ. nod.gif

H: The swivel is a really great concept.
    J&H