getting your pics on google images

ashsimmondsashsimmonds Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited April 22, 2007 in SmugMug Support
anyone know?

a few specific searches bring up my stuff that i've specifically uploaded to Wordpress, (Ferrari Crash Perth - 348 XOST) but nothing so far in smugmug.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Hi, please see my tips on improving search results here: http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/Pros
  • ashsimmondsashsimmonds Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    yeah my stuff comes up fine in normal search engines, but i'm talking about appearing in google images, i'm yet to see one of my pics from smugmug do that.

do you have any examples of searches that link straight to an image hosted on smugmug?
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    You have a point. Searching for "tawnyflanked prinia" and "orangethroated longclaw" (uncommon search terms) used to bring up images from my galleries. They no longer do.

As you've found, on the main search page these terms hit my galleries on the first page...
    edited April 13, 2007
    I have a feeling that pics no longer appearing on Google Images has something to with the "don't want images to be public" thread???
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    I have a feeling that pics no longer appearing on Google Images has something to with the "don't want images to be public" thread???
    Nope, sorry, nothing to do with that.
    edited April 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Nope, sorry, nothing to do with that.
    Very glad to hear that thumb.gif
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Google Images - no show
    This is quite interesting - I have had a web site in various forms for almost 10 years now, I've never bothered looking in Google images much except to see when someone may be using a pic without permission. However, seeing this thread i thought i would try some random searches, and except where my images are used on other sites, I can't find any reference to me at all. It can't be a Smugmug thing so if anyone has any further info I would be interested to know just how to get listed.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Try my name (Sebastian Hosche) or muskrat leipzig on google images. mwink.gif
    Also a couple of months ago I opted in for the advanced picture search in the google webmasters tools.

This is a "game" google started where you play with a random person in the world and try to find keywords that fit a picture found in google images. Only if the two persons enter the exact same keyword they get points. Of course this is pressured by a timer. They got the idea from another project which goal it was to label all the pictures on the net and use it now for their own database. Free labor, but it's fun too. ;) The labels then are supposed to get used in the search engine

Whatever I opted in for them to be able to use my images in the label game. Maybe that's why there are some more of my photos indexed.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited April 13, 2007
    Wow, is that strange! When I search on Google images, I don't find my images unless I search on both my name and another keyword that I know I have used. If I search on "denise goldberg" plus hawaii, I get 3 pages of images, most of which are mine, and most of which do not match on the hawaii keyword - but while the images are hosted here at smugmug, the links from google images are to my blog pages that reference the photos. If I search on a keyword alone (without my name), I don't see any of my images. And yes, my images are all keyworded; I assumed that would be enough to pull them up. Obviously I don't want people to have to use my name to find my images via search.

Maybe I'll try what Sebastian suggested.

--- Denise
    edited April 13, 2007
    Wow, is that strange! When I search on Google images, I don't find my images unless I search on both my name and another keyword that I know I have used. If I search on "denise goldberg" plus hawaii, I get 3 pages of images, most of which are mine, and most of which do not match on the hawaii keyword - but while the images are hosted here at smugmug, the links from google images are to my blog pages that reference the photos. If I search on a keyword alone (without my name), I don't see any of my images. And yes, my images are all keyworded; I assumed that would be enough to pull them up. Obviously I don't want people to have to use my name to find my images via search.

Maybe I'll try what Sebastian suggested.

--- Denise
    Hi,
    I don't think I can be bothered with this, I just hope anyone who really wants to find me doesn't use google Images to search. For me i think its much more important to get links with local sites and network. I would be interested to know what a real punter looking for something specific thinks of the quality of results - my judgement is colored in this respect.

Caroline

[/URL]
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited April 13, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Hi,
    I don't think I can be bothered with this, I just hope anyone who really wants to find me doesn't use google Images to search. For me i think its much more important to get links with local sites and network. I would be interested to know what a real punter looking for something specific thinks of the quality of results - my judgement is colored in this respect.

Caroline
    You're right, searching for me by name on Google images makes no sense - because people aren't likely to look for me there. People who are searching Google images are probably looking for an image of a specific place or thing. I added my name to the search to see if any of my images would pop up; they didn't when I searched for something else.

This is more of a curiosity for me than anything else... But if my images popped up in the same way that Sebastian's do right now, well that would be pretty interesting.

--- Denise
    edited April 13, 2007
    This is more of a curiosity for me than anything else... But if my images popped up in the same way that Sebastian's do right now, well that would be pretty interesting.
    --- Denise

I agree its a curiosity thing - I did some searches to try and establish what the criteria for listing images is (sorry it was this morning & I have lost the links now), and it seems that either the authors of books on the subject don't know - ha ha, or I'm just not getting very good results.

May be some one else can satisfy our curiosityheadscratch.gif

Cheers
    Caroline

[/URL]
  • ashsimmondsashsimmonds Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    search for "uluru" and "gallardo" in google and every result on the first page is something to do with me.

http://www.google.com/search?q=uluru+gallardo

do the same search in google images... the first pic is one of mine, but it's hosted on my site using Wordpress and doesn't have much at all to do with one of the keywords.

http://images.google.com/images?q=uluru%20gallardo

thing is, my photography is all exotic sportscars, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche... and so many people search for pics of these cars using google images, and i'd like for them to find and use my pics like this.

i'll do some more research, but if anyone has any other ideas about the best way to get results then please post.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    i'll do some more research, but if anyone has any other ideas about the best way to get results then please post.
    The only thing I know of where you have an option concerning Google Images I posted about earlier. Apart from that you can just do the usual - keyword, link to others and get linked to and hope Google Images starts picking it up more.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero