LPS#3 - "Terrace at Sainte Adresse by Monet" By Pyro

pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
edited April 12, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Due to the lack of wild enthusiasm for my other picturesque contenders, I had to completely revise my approach. Considering how many awesome looking landscapes have been entered, I started thinking about what I can do. And so I decided to take the meaning a little more literaly.

These shots were taken in "Grounds for Sculpture" in New Jersey. There is an area set up that resembles "Terrace at Sainte Adresse", a painting by Monet, including a statue of Monet painting it. I could not resist.

Here are 2 different angles (3 levels of postprocessing in each). The first angle is more pleasing visually, while the second one represents the concept better. I'd love to hear some feedback. Thank you.

Orignal painting for reference: http://www.impressionist-art-gallery.com/terrace_at_sainte_adresse.html

#1 increased saturation
small_picturesque_left_Saturation_resize.jpg

#1 retro colored
small_picturesque_left_retro_resize.jpg

#1 retro colored + aggressive noise removal that makes this look like a painting
small_picturesque_left_retro_no_noise_res.jpg

#2 increased saturation
small_picturesque_center_Saturation_resiz.jpg

#2 retro colored
small_picturesque_center_retro_resize.jpg

#2 retro colored + aggressive noise removal that makes this look like a painting
small_picturesque_center_retro_no_noise_r.jpg

----
Edit: Found an official description of this piece:

Copyright Violation!! depicts a portrait of the artist Claude Monet (1840-1926) as he paints the sculpture by Johnson entitled If It Were Time, which is in turn based on Monet’s painting entitled Terrace at Sainte-Adresse. When an edition of If It Were Time was on view at the Corcoran Gallery of Art during Johnson’s exhibition, Beyond the Frame (September 2003 - January 2004) it included this portrait of the French artist “violating” Johnson’s copyright. Through this installation the viewer is playfully confronted by the question of what constitutes an original work of art.
pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    I'm familiar with Grounds for Sculpture and don't live too far from there. It's a great idea to present this scene as an entry. It suits picturesque well, IMHO.

I prefer #1 because the differences in the season between what you actually see and what's on the artist's canvas are less noticeable. But what this scene needs is a reshoot at a time of day when the sun is casting its light on the human figures. Your best weather this week for a reshoot will be on Friday and Saturday. mwink.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    I'm familiar with Grounds for Sculpture and don't live too far from there. It's a great idea to present this scene as an entry. It suits picturesque well, IMHO.

I prefer #1 because the differences in the season between what you actually see and what's on the artist's canvas are less noticeable. But what this scene needs is a reshoot at a time of day when the sun is casting its light on the human figures. Your best weather this week for a reshoot will be on Friday and Saturday. mwink.gif
    Which variation of 1 though? I'm particularly fond of the second one.

Also about "when the sun is casting its light on the human figures". What angle of the sun are you thinking about?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    #1 is better, imho. Saturation is wrong, though..
    What angle of the sun are you thinking about?

I'd say: same as on the painting...deal.gifmwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 11, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    #1 is better, imho. Saturation is wrong, though..

I'd say: same as on the painting...deal.gifmwink.gif

You're gonna have to be more specific on "Saturation is wrong, though.." :D

hmm looks like maybe 10-11am, you think?
    edited April 11, 2007
    You're gonna have to be more specific on "Saturation is wrong, though.." :D
    I simply don't like the colors, they all look oversaturated to me, at least water and skies... ne_nau.gif
    hmm looks like maybe 10-11am, you think?
    [/quote]

Dunno. Where's the North at? (in this image I mean:-)
    edited April 11, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I simply don't like the colors, they all look oversaturated to me, at least water and skies... ne_nau.gif
    Dunno. Where's the North at? (in this image I mean:-)[/quote]

Hmm I'll play around with it (I was going for a painting type look, but I guess I overdid it). I'll prolly have a couple versions out later tonight. Besides the saturation issues do you like the "retro" colored one in the first batch? I was thinking of working off that one.

About North? ne_nau.gif I'm directionally challenged. I shot this around 5:30pm, and the sun was behind and to the left of me. I guess I'm gonna have to add a compass to my photo kit :D

Thanks for the feedback =c)
    edited April 11, 2007
    I shot this around 5:30pm, and the sun was behind and to the left of me.

I guess in that case you were looking towards North. Which means, you probably CANNOT get the same light as the painting, since it would require the sun to be in front left of you...

Scratch that then...

Re: the rest... It's hard to tell.
    I like the ideathumb.gif , but I'm not fond of the execution. ne_nau.gif
    Colors look weird, and the whole thing has definite blue cast. Compositionally: too many focal points, my eyes can't stop moving around.
    Painter. Lady on the bench with the umbrella. Couple. Boat. Trees on the far bank...

OTOH, maybe step back or use WA? Change the vantage point, get lower?ne_nau.gif
    edited April 11, 2007
    OK. Try heading there after 1-2:00 in the afternoon. Your lighting should look similar to that in the photo in the attachment. :D
    edited April 11, 2007
    Linda
    richtersl wrote:
    OK. Try heading there after 1-2:00 in the afternoon. Your lighting should look similar to that in the photo in the attachment. :D
    Ouch... what a harsh light, my eyes hurt... mwink.gif
    iloveyou.gif
    I'd say, forget the sun position, stick to a softer light, early morning or early evening deal.gif
    edited April 11, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I guess in that case you were looking towards North. Which means, you probably CANNOT get the same light as the painting, since it would require the sun to be in front left of you...

Scratch that then...

Re: the rest... It's hard to tell.
    I like the ideathumb.gif , but I'm not fond of the execution. ne_nau.gif
    Colors look weird, and the whole thing has definite blue cast. Compositionally: too many focal points, my eyes can't stop moving around.
    Painter. Lady on the bench with the umbrella. Couple. Boat. Trees on the far bank...

OTOH, maybe step back or use WA? Change the vantage point, get lower?ne_nau.gif

Hmmm, well I guess we'll see If can get a reshoot in. Meanwhile I guess I'll mess around with the colors. Unfortunately my camera seems to have a weird "bug". I was shooting RAW, but when I changed batteries, it seemed to reset it back to JPEG :cry. But we'll see if I can clean it up a bit in PS.
    edited April 11, 2007
    Unfortunately my camera seems to have a weird "bug". I was shooting RAW, but when I changed batteries, it seemed to reset it back to JPEG :cry.
    Ouch, that hurts.
    I had similar misfortune during my Very First Newspaper Assignment last year. Only it was not due to the battery or camera, but due to my very own brainfart (set to green mode to make sure flash works ok). As it turned out, there is no RAW in green mode. Later DavidTo mantioned that he uses it to quickly change to JPEG only mode and then go back to normal.
    At least I learned something... mwink.gif
    edited April 11, 2007
    Pending a reshoot, this is what I'm gonna enter. If anyone has specific PP sugestions I'd love to hear em. So far I messed around with the colors, but didn't crank up the saturation, in fact I desaturated the cyans. Let me know what you think.

lps3_copy_1.jpg
    edited April 12, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Ouch... what a harsh light, my eyes hurt... mwink.gif
    iloveyou.gif
    I'd say, forget the sun position, stick to a softer light, early morning or early evening deal.gif

Yeah, that is harsh rolleyes1.gif, hence the suggestion to get there after 1:00 - 2:00. mwink.gif
    edited April 12, 2007
    Pending a reshoot, this is what I'm gonna enter. If anyone has specific PP sugestions I'd love to hear em. So far I messed around with the colors, but didn't crank up the saturation, in fact I desaturated the cyans. Let me know what you think.

If the weather isn't favorable, then this is the one to go with. I rather like where you took the picture from. It makes for a far better composition than the one I took. And, your picture is better than the posters I've seen advertising the place. mwink.gif
    edited April 12, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    If the weather isn't favorable, then this is the one to go with. I rather like where you took the picture from. It makes for a far better composition than the one I took. And, your picture is better than the posters I've seen advertising the place. mwink.gif

Hehe, thanks Linda, that's quite a compliment =c)