Options

Suggestions? Headed to Utah tomorrow

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
So it's time for a road trip!!!

Leave tomorrow for 1400 mile road trip to Utah. Never been there. I know it's a month early from prime time but I can go now. I was going to visit Arches and maybe Bryce but the upcoming Muench trip (wish I could afford this!!!) inspired me to try something different.

I'm going to base camp at Goblin Valley State Park and explore. I have three full days there, if I hoof it on the commute. I have a four-wheel drive pickup.

Suggestions for shooting locations?

P.S. I'm taking donations for gas ;-)

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 11, 2007
    Ask the park rangers at Goblin Valley to tell you the way to Little Horseshoe Canyon ( I think it is called ).

It is a little slot canyon you can hike into that wends its way into the San Rafael Swell. It is just a few miles from Goblin Valley.

72497165-M.jpg

Here is Nightingale gandering about at the beginning, from last spring in Utah.

Southern Utah has so many places to shoot it is hard to know what all to include. Some of the areas that are available can be seen here
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Southern Utah has so many places to shoot it is hard to know what all to include. Some of the areas that are available can be seen here

Yeah, that's known as an embarrasment of riches. I spent a two week vacation traipsing around southern Utah and still missed a bunch of stuff I wanted to get to.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    Thanks for suggestions. Nice pics pathfinder! Very helpful.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 12, 2007
    Just be very careful in the slot canyons...this time of year they can flood from a storm 20 miles away.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Just be very careful in the slot canyons...this time of year they can flood from a storm 20 miles away.

Hah, no kidding! That's why it took 3 years before I got to do the Narrows hike at Zion--thunderstorms in Idaho made it unsafe. :cry
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    If you're goint to Arches, I urge you to look at Canyonlands while you're there! Several of us extended last year's Smugmug Shootout and that was one of my favorite places - certainly one I'm planning of going back to and spend a couple of days at!

Enjoy!
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    pauly632pauly632 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Better late than never
    My wife and I spend a bunch of time in and around Moab. If you are up for some sport/landscape photo go down Kane creek rd in Moab and when you get to the first major bend in the road look up for falling humans. It is a very popular and legal BASE jumping site. The contrast of the canopies and the rocks are un-real...

Pauly
    No matter where you go there you are!

Canon Rebel XTI
    Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
    Tamron 17-35mm 2.8
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    ... look up for falling humans...

eek7.gif When you first read that bit, the first thing that comes to mind is "WTF?! This is COMMON?!" Must be a lot of:boozeinvolved...
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Do not miss Dead Horse Point State Park which is about 20 miles north and then west from Moab.

It provides views into Canyonlands that are better than what you see when you're in Canyonlands.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    When you get to Utah, stop, and look around in a circle. You'll see something to take a picture of! :Drolleyes1.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:
    When you get to Utah, stop, and look around in a circle. You'll see something to take a picture of! :Drolleyes1.gif

I tried that but I didn't see anything in Cathedral Valley.

146346174-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:

Very true. I've used that comment about the Queen's Garden trail at Bryce...stop every 5 feet & turn around, you'll see something else cool & photo-worthy. Makes that trail take a loooong time.
  • Options
    pauly632pauly632 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Only after
    eek7.gif When you first read that bit, the first thing that comes to mind is "WTF?! This is COMMON?!" Must be a lot of:boozeinvolved...

Yes it is very common in Moab. It is one of the few places in USA to jump where it is legal. I would guess that over 500 folks a year travel there from all over the world for BASE jumping. As of now there are over 200 places there (Moab) to jump from. I am usually there in Oct. for the weather. If you have ever seen Stunt Junkies on tv, the gril that jumped from the moving tractor trailer (Marta) is one of the best jumpers in the world and she and her husband live in Moab. The beers come after the jumps.......

If any one wants more information when they go there send me a pm or e-mail and I can set you up with some jumpers, it is a great photo op........

Pauly
    BASE #632thumb.gif
    No matter where you go there you are!

Canon Rebel XTI
    Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
    Tamron 17-35mm 2.8