Can portraits be picturesque?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited April 12, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
The best photo I've taken in this contest period is a portrait. Do you think a potrait can be considered picturesque?

Elaine
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    My own personal opinion would be, no.

Here's the definition I found on www.m-w.com (Merriam-Webster):

Main Entry: pic·tur·esque
    1 a : resembling a picture : suggesting a painted scene b : charming or quaint in appearance

2 : evoking mental images : VIVID

That's what I personally was looking for when I approached this theme.

But, based on what the judges have previously selected in the last rounds, I think they each have their own definitions, so it's possible they'd pick a portrait. ne_nau.gif
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    I think my initial reaction would be "no" as well. But...I also found these definitions:

having pleasing or interesting qualities; strikingly effective in appearance

strikingly expressive

Maybe these could work for a portrait? Hmmm...I don't want to completely miss the boat here, but I also would like to submit my best work. This is tricky! eek7.gif

Elaine
    Elaine

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    I think my initial reaction would be "no" as well. But...I also found these definitions:

having pleasing or interesting qualities; strikingly effective in appearance

strikingly expressive

Maybe these could work for a portrait? Hmmm...I don't want to completely miss the boat here, but I also would like to submit my best work. This is tricky! eek7.gif

Elaine

destructing the word picturesque itself implies the image of a perfect picture. i think 100% this can be interpreted as a portrait. angelic, perfect, beautiful, etc.

then again, i can't shoot anything worth the paper its printed on if its NOT a portrait of some sort. fwiw
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited April 11, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    destructing the word picturesque itself implies the image of a perfect picture. i think 100% this can be interpreted as a portrait. angelic, perfect, beautiful, etc.

then again, i can't shoot anything worth the paper its printed on if its NOT a portrait of some sort. fwiw

Thank you! thumb.gif
    Elaine

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 11, 2007
    I think it's possible but would be very dependent on the setting of the portrait. To me the subject alone would not be enough to meet the definition.
    edited April 11, 2007
    truth wrote:
    I think it's possible but would be very dependent on the setting of the portrait. To me the subject alone would not be enough to meet the definition.
    oh you mean a girl with long golden curls, in an infinite field of daisies, with a deep blue sky plus a rainbow and a long calico dress? rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited April 11, 2007
    truth wrote:

So, do you mean it would have to be a portrait in a "picturesque" setting, not just a portrait subject by him/herself...a person cannot be picturesque, in other words? Just wanting to have a clear understanding of your view...

Thanks!

Elaine
    Elaine

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    I have plans for a portrait myself Elaine, and in my case, I hope the setting will evoke a sense of being picturesque. It's actually a portrait I've been planning for a while, but I think it might work.
    edited April 11, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I have plans for a portrait myself Elaine, and in my case, I hope the setting will evoke a sense of being picturesque.

yeah count the portrait shooters, all together now....
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited April 11, 2007
    The phrase "pretty as a picture" comes to mind in regards to portraits (or maybe handsome-as-a-picture with males) and sometimes shots that evoke that thought or feeling can be very simple and not necessarily in a dramatic setting. Do I sound like I'm justifying my own agenda here? mwink.gif

The themes have certainly been on my mind, and I have shot pictures with the contest in mind, but the one I like the best (the portrait I shared in the People category) was not necessarily pre-meditated for the contest. I think that's OK, as sometimes you just happen across something good that's unplanned.

Since it's my own son, I know it evokes more out of me than perhaps it would the judges, but I also think it's just a way better picture than I have already entered. And isn't this about doing your best at any given time?

Rambling here...:D

Elaine
    Elaine

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Elaine
    Why not.. I even tried:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 11, 2007
    I guess it just depends on your interpretation of the definition of picturesque. For me a portrait or person in and of themselves does not work.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    A picturesque portrait ?
    Check out this Wikipedia page on William Gilpin, best known as one of the originators of the idea of the "picturesque"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gilpin_%28clergyman%29

based on his 3 esays on the subject I don't think a portrait could be considered picturesque.

"sorry"

Winston
    edited April 11, 2007
    Well, this has turned into an interesting discussion! :Deek7.gif Seems there are some people who absolutely think a portrait can be picturesque, and some people who absolutely think a portrait can not be picturesque. Hmmm... If any judges agree with the latter, all portraits would be thrown out immediately. On the other hand, if any judges are moved by a portrait and think along a more open definition of picturesque (having pleasing or interesting qualities; strikingly effective in appearance; strikingly expressive) then a portrait could be considered.
    I guess I'll just have to go with what moves me the most. I am uninspired by my first entry, so that doesn't bode well for it. I feel a change a comin' and it will probably be a portrait! Gotta take some risks! :ivar

Elaine
    Elaine

edited April 11, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Gotta take some risks! :ivar

Elaine

risks: good. overthinking: bad.

good luck!!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    I guess its nothing to do with dictionary here.
    Depends on what the judge thinks to be picturesque.
    Yuo can shoot a lovely potrait and it may or may not fit the topic.
    To be on the safe side shoot a landscape.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Shay said it: "So when choosing the theme, look up in the dictionary "irregular" and look up "picturesque" to see if any of the definitions spark an inspiration. Go out and shoot to that inspiration, and then see if you can work it deeper, work around it, or even redefine it."

Why not a portrait if that is your insiration?

Virginia

Email
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Shay said it: "So when choosing the theme, look up in the dictionary "irregular" and look up "picturesque" to see if any of the definitions spark an inspiration. Go out and shoot to that inspiration, and then see if you can work it deeper, work around it, or even redefine it."

Why not a portrait if that is your insiration?

Virginia

Totally! deal.gif
    Just remember the mantra: great picture first, theme compliance second.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Yes
    Portraits can be classical, impressionistic, even surrealistic. So, I think they can also be picturesque.

Jill
    Jill
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    I think a portrait can be picturesque, but most are not.

I think stressing over what the judges will think is a useless endevor.