Options

Starting to get things around!

JenniCob21JenniCob21 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited April 22, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if I need to get a business lisence. I know I need to get a sales tax lisence but I was wondering if I would need a business lisence. It would be great if someone could help me! Also was wondering what else i might need to start everything up? And if there is a website I can look business names and also website name to see if there are used.

JenniCob21

Comments

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    If you are going to sell at festivals, street fairs, etc. you may need a peddler's license. Usually like $75/year. Battle Creek ought to have a city dept dedicated to that. Keep track of all your expenses and file any paperwork/returns in a timely fashion. You may want to contact a CPA who specializes in small businesses for a simple checklist of what is needed in Michigan. Do you have any friends who are sole proprietors? They can point you in the right direction.

Good Luck
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Call your state department of business/revenue if you don't have any friends with small businesses. Typically some kind person will explain tax levels and requirements for licenses.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    chicodawgchicodawg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Last November, I met with our tax preparer about my business venture. She was VERY helpful. She listed the steps I needed to take to register the business name, file with the Florida Dept of Revenue and IRS, and referred to the county tax collector for the occupational license. She included all the websites and, except for the occupational license, everything was done online! In less than 2-hours, I was a legal "business" entity - minus the occupational license.:ivar

Be careful with the occupational licensing - they may have specific requirements for operating from the home (if that's what you're doing) in your area. For example, if your studio is in the home and people will come to you, do you store (photographic) chemicals, do you have adequate fire extinguishers/alarms, are exits marked? This may, or may not, be required in your area.deal.gif

The only costs I incurred with this was from the business name registration and occupational license. Once I had the name legally registered, I was able to go to the bank and open a business account.

KEEP your business finances separate! And, like jdryan3 stated, keep track of everything... receipts, mileage, sales, taxes you (better) impose on your sales, etc. Calculate gross sales (before taxes) and taxes collected. You will tax your services (session fees?), prints (smugmug should already be doing that for you), and anything else you sell - I sold DVD's with a short video. The taxes your customers pay "you", you will have to pay back to the state or tax revenue agency.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Mike
    http://www.thephotosItook.com
    • Canon 20D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro, EF 75-300mm f/4.6 III USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens), 580EX Speedlite
    • 2 Chihuahuas named Chico and Bentley
    • Promaster 17-55mm f/2.8 XL EDO Macro
  • Options
    chicodawgchicodawg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Oh, a couple more things...

For business names, you'll need to check your particular state, division of corporations, or department of state - in Florida, their website makes it EASY to look-up names and register at http://www.sunbiz.org (but, you're in MI, so you'll have to search)

For domain names/websites, use domain lookup services. There are many, but here's 4 (some give you different details about the domain): The domain I *wanted* (ie: my business name) was owned by a guy here in the (tree) stump removal business. I think he's also in the domain name cultivating business. After I registered the domain I have now, he EMailed me and said I could purchase "his" domain for $700. He also offered a free link on his website which promotes business in the local area. The domain I registered cost only $6... he can HAVE my first choice and keep his free promotion!
    http://www.thephotosItook.com
    • Canon 20D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro, EF 75-300mm f/4.6 III USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens), 580EX Speedlite
    • 2 Chihuahuas named Chico and Bentley
    • Promaster 17-55mm f/2.8 XL EDO Macro