Options

San Fran and San Diego

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
I'll be traveling with my family through San Francisco and San Diego in a couple weeks. I'm looking for suggestions on what to go see (and photograph) in both places. Well, we have a fairly tight itinerary, so I won't be able to fit in much more, but I could use some ideas, especially for San Fran. Thanks in advance.

Elaine
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Can't help with San Fran since I have still never been. San Diego has a lot to offer though. Zoo, Wild Life Park, Botanical Garden, the flower fields in Carlsbad, Balboa Park, as well as beaches, architecture, and the maritime museum. Lots to choose from so you can have a plan or just wing it- either way you will have opprotunities.

I will be in San Diego April 28th - 30th and I am going to the flower fields, Balboa Park, and doing a sea kayak / snorkeling tour of the caves in La Jolla.

Have a great trip and look forward to seeing your photos.

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Can't help with San Fran since I have still never been. San Diego has a lot to offer though. Zoo, Wild Life Park, Botanical Garden, the flower fields in Carlsbad, Balboa Park, as well as beaches, architecture, and the maritime museum. Lots to choose from so you can have a plan or just wing it- either way you will have opprotunities.

I will be in San Diego April 28th - 30th and I am going to the flower fields, Balboa Park, and doing a sea kayak / snorkeling tour of the caves in La Jolla.

Have a great trip and look forward to seeing your photos.

Aaron

That's exactly when we'll be there! We're starting in Carlsbad, then going to SD the nights of the 28th and 29th. We're hitting Legoland, Padres vs. Dodgers, Sea World and the Wild Animal Park. Would Balboa Park have some nice night time photo opps? Probably won't have time for much else in the Carlsbad area, although the flower fields sound nice. I'll have to look up the botanical gardens.

We'll have two nights in San Francisco on the way down (1 full day), and we don't have anything planned there yet. Hope to have nice weather!

Thanks for the ideas and enjoy your trip as well!

Elaine
    Elaine

• Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    How funny- which game are you going to? I am going to the Saturday game at 7 pm. I am not sure how lit up the buildings in Balboa Park are at night but there is a church just off the freeway that is lit up at night- I plan to shoot it either after the game on Saturday or late Sunday night. You could also take the drive over the bridge to Coronado Island and shoot the San Diego nightscape from over there.
    Elaine wrote:
    That's exactly when we'll be there! We're starting in Carlsbad, then going to SD the nights of the 28th and 29th. We're hitting Legoland, Padres vs. Dodgers, Sea World and the Wild Animal Park. Would Balboa Park have some nice night time photo opps? Probably won't have time for much else in the Carlsbad area, although the flower fields sound nice. I'll have to look up the botanical gardens.

We'll have two nights in San Francisco on the way down (1 full day), and we don't have anything planned there yet. Hope to have nice weather!

Thanks for the ideas and enjoy your trip as well!

Elaine

Aaron Newman

• Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    How funny- which game are you going to? I am going to the Saturday game at 7 pm. I am not sure how lit up the buildings in Balboa Park are at night but there is a church just off the freeway that is lit up at night- I plan to shoot it either after the game on Saturday or late Sunday night. You could also take the drive over the bridge to Coronado Island and shoot the San Diego nightscape from over there.

Same game too! rolleyes1.gif We'll have to share our pics and see if we were in the same place at the same time!
    Thanks for the other tips.

Elaine
    Elaine

• Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    There's plenty of obvious stuff, like the architecture of the DeYoung, Golden Gate Park, plus all the bridges, the waterfront, the ruins of Sutro Baths, but honestly, a lot of that stuff has just been done to death.

Shoot street photography. San Francisco has one of the most broad-based and intermingled cultures of any city in this country, and because the landmass is so tiny, we're all living on top of one another, which makes for a lot of interesting interactions. I'd shoot that (and often do!)
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    There's plenty of obvious stuff, like the architecture of the DeYoung, Golden Gate Park, plus all the bridges, the waterfront, the ruins of Sutro Baths, but honestly, a lot of that stuff has just been done to death.

Shoot street photography. San Francisco has one of the most broad-based and intermingled cultures of any city in this country, and because the landmass is so tiny, we're all living on top of one another, which makes for a lot of interesting interactions. I'd shoot that (and often do!)

Thanks for the tips! thumb.gif

Elaine
    Elaine

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    TylerW wrote:

Just why I can't wait to get back up there. Last trip there was no time, and I saw so many good street photography opportunities. :cry
  • Options
    Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    San Diego Ideas
    Elaine wrote:
    I'll be traveling with my family through San Francisco and San Diego in a couple weeks. I'm looking for suggestions on what to go see (and photograph) in both places. Well, we have a fairly tight itinerary, so I won't be able to fit in much more, but I could use some ideas, especially for San Fran. Thanks in advance.

Elaine

My wife and I just visited Cabrillo National Monument. What a wonderful place. We got a bonus and were able to see a Submarine come back to port while we were there. Here are some of my pictures (not sure the pictures do justice though).
    http://bassett1976.smugmug.com/gallery/2708488

I would also say that Sea World is a great place. I find that the water makes it hard to get good pictures because of the reflection of light off of the water. Depending on when you go you can see a night time show with fireworks.

I usually like to take pictures at the zoo. It's much nicer than many of the zoo's that I've been in. You can also go to Seaport Village and walk down to the USS Midway.
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    We're hitting Legoland, Padres vs. Dodgers, Sea World and the Wild Animal Park. Would Balboa Park have some nice night time photo opps?

Elaine

Legoland is pretty fun- be sure to spend time in the mini land it is quite impressive.

86340548-L.jpg

86342061-L.jpg

Sea World night shots from the Shamu show-
    (I was learning- only had my dslr for a month and they are handheld)
    86337033-L.jpg

86337152-L.jpg

Aaron Newman

• Options
    SDJamesSDJames Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:

Great shot of the skyline! I would recommend Coronado in general. The Hotel Del Coronado is good shooting. My shots from downtown and the island were pre-digital and not on smugmug.
    Balboa park is lit up at night and has a large fountain near the IMAX and Reuben H. Fleet Science Center

While in Carlsbad, try Knockout Pizza! It's NY style, really...I've been to NY. If y'all want any other recommendations for food in North County, let me know...or anything else I can help with.
    40D, 400 f5.6L, 70-200 f2.8L, 50 f1.8, Tam 17-50 f2.8
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    I thought for sure we had directions to get this angle on the Golden Gate Bridge, but I can't find them in this forum. headscratch.gif Hmmmph.

56490434-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Golden Gate Location
    Here's the location. It's an iconic spot. The Marin Headlands in the
    Golden Gate National Recreation Area is rich with photographic locations.

I've also marked other locations on Google Maps.

Have a great time in SF and SD.

Alvin

wxwax wrote:
    I thought for sure we had directions to get this angle on the Golden Gate Bridge, but I can't find them in this forum. headscratch.gif Hmmmph.

56490434-S.jpg
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    a110p0 wrote:
    Here's the location. It's an iconic spot. The Marin Headlands in the
    Golden Gate National Recreation Area is rich with photographic locations.

I've also marked other locations on Google Maps.

Have a great time in SF and SD.

Alvin

Thanks for that link, i'm going to explore those other sites, too. Looks like I get a couple of days in SF before moving on to Sebastopol for a few days next month. :ivar I'll have at least one day up there to drive around, probably hit Bodega Bay & the surrounding area again.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2007
    Just got back from the trip. That map sure was a help. While I didn't get to hit every spot I wanted to, that just leaves something for next year. I'll post some photos once I sift through them all (between my own stuff in S.F. and surrounding area and the show I shot, I have 12,000 shots to look at. eek7.gif).
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    Glad to hear that the map was helpful. Looking forward to seeing your
    images.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery