Private vs. Password link

MyDashaMyDasha Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 14, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm a new Smugmug user. I am having difficulty with the password protection option.

On my smug page I've got 2 categories, 1 containing 2 galleries and 1 containing a bunch of galleries. All are password protected. My site is private as well. This seemed to work but when I logout and go back to the direct link to one of the categories it won't even show my smug page. It says that the reason may be because the account is private. That we know.

If I click in the categorie and pick one gallery I can use that direct link. What I would like to do is send out the direct link to the categorie so when parents click in that they can see all the different galleries to choose from. As it is set up now if I have to use the direct link from one of the sub galleries when they use a password to get in that they only see that gallery and have to navigate back to other galleries. As picky as that sounds, I'm dealing with parents here and can only imagine that for some it is mind boggling to click on more than a few areas to see what they want to see.

Is there a way to make the password log in show up for the categorie?

Thanks!

Comments

• BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 12, 2007
    MyDasha wrote:
    I'm a new Smugmug user. I am having difficulty with the password protection option.

On my smug page I've got 2 categories, 1 containing 2 galleries and 1 containing a bunch of galleries. All are password protected. My site is private as well. This seemed to work but when I logout and go back to the direct link to one of the categories it won't even show my smug page. It says that the reason may be because the account is private. That we know.

If I click in the categorie and pick one gallery I can use that direct link. What I would like to do is send out the direct link to the categorie so when parents click in that they can see all the different galleries to choose from. As it is set up now if I have to use the direct link from one of the sub galleries when they use a password to get in that they only see that gallery and have to navigate back to other galleries. As picky as that sounds, I'm dealing with parents here and can only imagine that for some it is mind boggling to click on more than a few areas to see what they want to see.

Thanks!

Hi :)

Welcome to DGrin wave.gif

There is no way to password a category, it is gallery by gallery; however, Sharegroups to the rescue:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/share-groups

See if that would work out for you. Seems perfect for what you are wanting to accomplish.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    MyDasha wrote:

Thanks!
    If you have a password on your whole site make all the galleries public and
    they will show on your homepage. From there you'll be prompted for any different password to enter any galleries.

If your site is passworded you don't need any other passwords on galleries
    unless you want different ones for some galleries.

I think this is the way it is.:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    MyDasha wrote:

Thanks!
    the fact that you made galleries private is why you can't see em. "private" is more like "unlisted".... i.e. when looking in the phone book (smugmug homepage) you don't see unlisted numbers (galleries), but if you know the number (url), you can still use it.

as mentioned already, if you password the account, then "unhide" the galleries by making them "public" ... (the password will keep the public out)
  • MyDashaMyDasha Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 14, 2007
    Thanks!
    Thanks to each of you who answered my question. I made the changes and even created a sharegroup. It's working nicely!

Thanks,
    Karie
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 14, 2007
    MyDasha wrote:
    Thanks to each of you who answered my question. I made the changes and even created a sharegroup. It's working nicely!

Thanks,
    Karie

Hi Karie :)

Great! Be sure and let us know if you have any further questions.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign