SoCal Macking Waves @ The Wedge

PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
edited April 13, 2007 in Sports
Some shots of the absolutely enormous swell that created 3-4 times overhead surf (15-25 feet) over at Wedge in Newport Beach, CA this week.

The swell was a rather unique one due to its proximity to SoCal and was a monster at nearly every break in SoCal. The dirty ol' Wedge was particularly nasty with some huge bombs breaking through all afternoon Tuesday and all-day on Wednesday.

Here's some shots from Big Tuesday. I'll try to get some shots of Big Wednesday up as they get processed. Thanks for looking :thumb

Macking Bombing Walled Out Wedge
143325103-L-1.jpg

143247113-L-1.jpg

142858455-L-1.jpg

Wrecked
142859216-L-1.jpg

Whitewall
142858943-L-1.jpg

Air drop (He landed it!)
143269783-L-1.jpg

Background is the Newport Harbor entrance. It was breaking!!! Fortunately, no crafts were damaged docking in.
142854648-L-1.jpg
Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
Master Of Sushi Noms
Amateur CSS Dork

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    WOW !! Rough surf ! That last photo is my fav of your set thumb.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Very cool! Up here in Santa Barbara we are getting hammered by 40K North winds. Exciting imagesthumb.gif
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Thanks Gus, you wouldnt believe some of the clean-up sets that rolled in during the session. We've actually had three really solid S swells this month so far. Needless to say, this is starting to make up for a really lackluster winter waves season around here.

Here's a shot from last week's big swell

142350256-L-1.jpg
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited April 13, 2007
    Very cool! Up here in Santa Barbara we are getting hammered by 40K North winds. Exciting imagesthumb.gif

Marc, I hear ya. We've been getting blasted here as well. Today looked more like Victory at Sea with the heavy waves mixed with the nasty wind.

By the way, the usual Wedge circus was in town as always. There was so much white glass on the beach. It felt like a Canon garage sale rolleyes1.gif
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Man ... and I almost went today :(

Nice shots. That guy is flyin' in the next to last shot. What a rush. Anybody get hurt?

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Ohmigosh! Look at that size of that last one compared to the man's head in the water..........those guys are insane! I've lived in O.C. forever and never actually witnessed this. Darn! Why am I always working? rolleyes1.gif Great pics as always!
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Wow
    Well, that made my waves look rather piddlin'. Some fantastic waves shot there!clap.gif
    edited April 13, 2007
    None of the surfers or bodyboarders got seriously hurt during this swell, although two fishermen were swept off the jetty on Tuesday and were never found.

Here's a few shots of Big Wednesday. Needless to say Dee, it felt like a NoCal monster wave (Mavericks) instead of our little waist-high ones this week

Barrels
    143425021-L-1.jpg

Superdrop
    143422029-L-1.jpg

OUCH!
    143422647-L-1.jpg

Backbreaker
    143424712-L-1.jpg

Walled Out Monsters
    143423097-L-1.jpg
    Master Of Sushi Noms