Direclty uploading attached image files from an email

papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited April 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Friends and family who have not yet "bought in" to the idea of using SmugMug still, from time to time, send me jpg images attached to emails.

Is there a way to upload the files to a SmugMug gallery directly from the email without first having to save the file to a folder on my hard-drive, and then upload from there?

Don't these image files reside already in a temporary folder somewhere that is associated with the email? If so, how do I find it? (I tried using the search files function using the IMG_xxx.jpg file name in the attachment, but the search turned up squat!).

I also tried using the the standard uploader, "copied" the file name from the email by highlighting and hitting Copy...but Pasting on the Green Smuggy did nothing as far as I could tell.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    Friends and family who have not yet "bought in" to the idea of using SmugMug still, from time to time, send me jpg images attached to emails.

Is there a way to upload the files to a SmugMug gallery directly from the email without first having to save the file to a folder on my hard-drive, and then upload from there?

Don't these image files reside already in a temporary folder somewhere that is associated with the email? If so, how do I find it? (I tried using the search files function using the IMG_xxx.jpg file name in the attachment, but the search turned up squat!).

I also tried using the the standard uploader, "copied" the file name from the email by highlighting and hitting Copy...but Pasting on the Green Smuggy did nothing as far as I could tell.
    Hello Papajay, it sure depends on your system and your email. For me, I can drag from an email, in my Mac, right to the Green Smuggy :) Your system may be different.

Then, it depends on how you have your mail client set up, html inline images, or only attached as files.

Finally, some mail clients keep the mails on a server, and there's no copy on your computer until you say so.

Honestly, the easiest and most reliable way is just to save it to a folder on your computer then drag to the Green Smuggy.

I hope this helps.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Sounds like a reasonable excuse to buy a new MacPro. mwink.gif
    edited April 13, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Sounds like a reasonable excuse to buy a new MacPro. mwink.gif
    No kidding. Having used PCs for 24 years, then switching a couple years ago, I can't imagine ever going back thumb.gif
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    No kidding. Having used PCs for 24 years, then switching a couple years ago, I can't imagine ever going back thumb.gif

A couple of Mac Smarty-Pants, for sure!....just so happens I bought a new Dell laptop last week...Maybe next time.

For now, I decided to drag to an "upload folder" on my desktop, then grab again to upload to SmugMug.

Thanks for trying the suggestions...serious and tongue in cheek.
    Papajay
    edited April 13, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    A couple of Mac Smarty-Pants, for sure!....just so happens I bought a new Dell laptop last week...Maybe next time.

For now, I decided to drag to an "upload folder" on my desktop, then grab again to upload to SmugMug.

Thanks for trying the suggestions...serious and tongue in cheek.
    Papajay
    It's against the law in your parts to buy a Mac, isn't it naughty.gif