Options

Dance Competition

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited April 15, 2007 in People
I did my annual shoot of a dance competition in Cleveland. It never gets any easier. The biggest issue is very uneven lighting. This is a competition and not a professional set up. So when I may be set for perfect exposure one moment, they move to another area of the stage and it either gets me blowouts or under exposure. Always fun. I used me new toy, the 135 L, this time. What an amazing lens. I really like it, but it's such a weird focal length I don't see me using it that much, especially since I have it covered in the fantastic 70-200 2.8 IS L. I hate to sell it, but I just may have to. Too much money to only be used once or twice a year for stage work.

140097158-L.jpg

141718668-L.jpg

140097572-L.jpg

This little kid was amazing. Super talented and what a showman. Really fun to watch.

140097983-L.jpg

They really play to the camera when they see it. It's fun.

141718052-L.jpg

140092703-L.jpg

141718108-L.jpg

141718150-L.jpg

141718183-L.jpg

140097794-L.jpg

140100045-L.jpg

My girlfriend's granddaughter and the reason I was there.

140092264-L.jpg

140088378-L.jpg

141717620-L.jpg

Their outfits were very pretty.

140090342-L.jpg

The stud.

141717491-L.jpg

They were kung fu fightin'...:D

141718838-L.jpg

141719417-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Khaos wrote:
    I did my annual shoot of a dance competition in Cleveland. It never gets any easier. The biggest issue is very uneven lighting. This is a competition and not a professional set up. So when I may be set for perfect exposure one moment, they move to another area of the stage and it either gets me blowouts or under exposure. Always fun. I used me new toy, the 135 L, this time. What an amazing lens. I really like it, but it's such a weird focal length I don't see me using it that much, especially since I have it covered in the fantastic 70-200 2.8 IS L. I hate to sell it, but I just may have to. Too much money to only be used once or twice a year for stage work.
    This little kid was amazing. Super talented and what a showman. Really fun to watch.
    They really play to the camera when they see it. It's fun.
    My girlfriend's granddaughter and the reason I was there.
    Their outfits were very pretty.
    The stud.
    They were kung fu fightin'...:D

Wow Khaos these are awesome mate clap.gifclap.gif
    The folks would be very pleased I'm sure.
    Everyone looks good in all the images, you caught some great performances.

The B&W's look great too.
    I have 2 favourites, Image #9 and the one you titled "The Stud " thumb.gif

You got great results Khaos, and I understand you desire to keep the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS L cause that is one sweet piece of glass :ivar

Thanks for sharing your images .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    monicab28monicab28 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 14, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Wow Khaos these are awesome mate clap.gifclap.gif
    The folks would be very pleased I'm sure.
    Everyone looks good in all the images, you caught some great performances.

The B&W's look great too.
    I have 2 favourites, Image #9 and the one you titled "The Stud " thumb.gif

You got great results Khaos, and I understand you desire to keep the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS L cause that is one sweet piece of glass :ivar

Thanks for sharing your images .... Skippy

May I ask what your camera settings were for these? I do a lot of dance and musical performances, so would be interested in knowing all your settings. These images are fantastic! Thanks!
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    monicab28 wrote:
    May I ask what your camera settings were for these? I do a lot of dance and musical performances, so would be interested in knowing all your settings. These images are fantastic! Thanks!

Thank you.

Most are wide open at 2.0 with an ISO of 800 or 1600. Again, because of the sporadic light quality, things change quickly and there's no panacea for this type of shooting. You can pretty much throw the histogram out the window also. It will almost always be flat with spikes on both the far left and right.

Post processing is the key. If you can get the exposure and focus, using tungsten during RAW processing will even out the white balance and then some LAB work to get the colors and exposure close to what they should be. After that some sharpening and I'm done.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Great captures!! I enjoyed all of them, you right about the outfits, beautiful and looks like you had a blast. clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    You did a great job Keith
    Looks like quite a blast to have all that to shoot...I'll be you took a gazillion images. These are very nice...great lighting, excellent focus and looks like white balance is right on. Nice comps on these too...you nailed it. Love it.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    #1 and #4 are fantastic. The emotion of the moment you captured is what nails them for me. The exposure seems spot on too. The rest of them are real nice technically, but I don't think the subjects offered too much for you. Well done all around.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen