Options

graphics card question

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited April 25, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
For photography purposes only, is there any advantage to having two PCI Express x16 graphics cards on a motherboard? I currently have one-- but will it speed things up in photoshop to have two? The PCI Express cards can be 'daisy-chained' to work together. Is this mostly for gamers? Do photographers see any advantage?

I'm updating my current system (an AMD 2.4 processor with 2 gigs RAM) to an AMD 2.4 dual core processor and 2 more gigs of RAM (4 GB total) plus yet another HD. Should I throw in another PCI Express graphics card too? Does this need to be the same brand/model I currently have (a GeForce 6800... which appears to be discontinued at newegg anyway).

Anyone? My goal is to make CS3 run as fast as my pocketbook can afford at this point. I realize the dual-core processor probably won't speed CS3 up, but at least I can run multiple apps without bogging everything down.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Anyone? My goal is to make CS3 run as fast as my pocketbook can afford at this point. I realize the dual-core processor probably won't speed CS3 up, but at least I can run multiple apps without bogging everything down.

If i'm not mistaken, I could have sworn I read somewhere that CS3 is supposed to be multithreaded, which means that it would take advantage of a dual-core...

But, I could be totally wrong...
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Bendr wrote:
    If i'm not mistaken, I could have sworn I read somewhere that CS3 is supposed to be multithreaded, which means that it would take advantage of a dual-core...

But, I could be totally wrong...

Well that's good. I'm definitely going dual-core for other reasons. So if CS3 can use it, that's fine with me!

Anyone know about the dual graphics cards? Does CS3 care about stuff like that?

• Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    I havn't seen anywhere that Photoshop (including CS3) supports SLI (dual/quad video cards), but then again I havn't looked explicitly for it. I highly doubt it does, though, especially since dual video cards could theoretically introduce color inaccuracies.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    I havn't seen anywhere that Photoshop (including CS3) supports SLI (dual/quad video cards), but then again I havn't looked explicitly for it. I highly doubt it does, though, especially since dual video cards could theoretically introduce color inaccuracies.

Thanks LuckyBob. That's my hunch too-- sounds like the dual cards are more for gamers. The RAM and dual-core processor sounds like the only upgrade I'll need to make right now, so that's cool.

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    You're not going to gain anything by using two video cards. Photoshop isn't pushing the frame rate at all (it's usually only one static frame), which is the advantage SLI gives you.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    You're not going to gain anything by using two video cards. Photoshop isn't pushing the frame rate at all (it's usually only one static frame), which is the advantage SLI gives you.

Thanks Chris! :D

• Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Thanks Chris! :D

For performance, a dual card (SLI) is only useful for gamers, to increase the frame-rate in games.

However, if you have 2 monitors and one monitor hooked up to each of the video-cards (instead of 2 monitors to 1 video-card), you may be able to calibrate both monitors independently.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    For performance, a dual card (SLI) is only useful for gamers, to increase the frame-rate in games.

However, if you have 2 monitors and one monitor hooked up to each of the video-cards (instead of 2 monitors to 1 video-card), you may be able to calibrate both monitors independently.

Yeah, good point. Though I can barely keep up with my post-production as it is-- maybe I need to be working on two images at once to speed things along? :D

I do have two monitors, but one is just for palettes, a second browser, music, etc. I'm sure one day we'll all have four or five monitors surrounding us as we work... or some giant projection type screen... until then, I think the single graphics card will be adequate. Thanks again for the replies!

• Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Photoshop won't notice nor use the 2nd card. But what I would do instead of trying to find a 2nd old geforce card would be to get something like the 8600gt or gts or gtx or whatever they're calling it. Or some form of the ATI x1950- both in various configurations are $200 or less and both would be likey almost as fast as 2 of your cards in SLI. If you want to do vista gaming:D that is.

I think the nVidia (8600 cards) at directX10 ready too.

Gene

dogwood wrote:
    For photography purposes only, is there any advantage to having two PCI Express x16 graphics cards on a motherboard? I currently have one-- but will it speed things up in photoshop to have two? The PCI Express cards can be 'daisy-chained' to work together. Is this mostly for gamers? Do photographers see any advantage?

I'm updating my current system (an AMD 2.4 processor with 2 gigs RAM) to an AMD 2.4 dual core processor and 2 more gigs of RAM (4 GB total) plus yet another HD. Should I throw in another PCI Express graphics card too? Does this need to be the same brand/model I currently have (a GeForce 6800... which appears to be discontinued at newegg anyway).

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    kini62 wrote:

I think the nVidia (8600 cards) at directX10 ready too.

Gene

Yup, that's what they say on the Newegg spec sheets. :D