Options

Help with choosing a Mac?

Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
edited April 29, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Hey guys,
I just wanted to know what you pros use for photo editing; mac wise :P.

I recently had a shitty run-in today with my pc, where I almost lost all my back up photos, because windows $@!#ed up bigtime on a write to my external hard drive!!!!!!!!! (The only reason they were saved, is because the Hdd was in raid 1 configuration :P). So I've decided it's time to switch =).

I was looking at the 2.16 ghz (core duo) iMacs, but if I should go for a higher speed processor or better model, please let me know :P..

I'll most likely be buying Photoshop 7 or CS3 when I get my mac, and I'll use it along with various programs like dashboard and safari (maybe simultaneously). I also need lots of processing power (I think) for stitching together panoramas, with 50+ pictures (Just a few :P).

Any help would be greatly apprecated =).

Thanks.
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
- Ansel Adams.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Patch29, a pro who knows a fair amount about this stuff, has given serious thought to an iMac, which tells me all I need to know.

I also know a video editor who has one at home, and cuts video on Final Cut Pro with an iMac, and loves it. Video's a lot more resource intensive than photography.

The iMac line is expected to be revamped, possibly before the end of the year. (Scroll down to find the iMac line) Welcome to the Apple dilemma, wondering whether you should buy not or wait. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Patch29, a pro who knows a fair amount about this stuff, has given serious thought to an iMac, which tells me all I need to know.

I also know a video editor who has one at home, and cuts video on Final Cut Pro with an iMac, and loves it. Video's a lot more resource intensive than photography.

The iMac line is expected to be revamped, possibly before the end of the year. (Scroll down to find the iMac line) Welcome to the Apple dilemma, wondering whether you should buy not or wait. lol3.gif
    Thanks for the info Sid, it gives me alot to think about!

""Striking New Industrial Design"?" Now I'm gonna have to wait a little bit longer lol :p.

P.S. Sid, do you by chance know what specs that pro video editor's mac has?
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

I think you meant month?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    I currently use a Mac Mini (1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 3 250GB USB disks) and it runs Lightroom, C1 LE and PS CS3 tolerably well for my needs. That said, 1.3GHz processor, 2MB L2 cache and the Intel GMA950 video card are limiting factors, so I do not reccomend the Mini.

A lot of people are using the MacBook Pro, but I don't like that as my desktop solution. It certainly has the guts for the job, but the ergonomics are lacking.

Unless you are going to spring for a Mac Pro tower, the iMac is your only remaining choice. The 24" model has the best choice of viedo cards and they all have the guts for the job. Stay with 2GHz or faster and definitely upgrade the RAM to 2GB or more. Tiger needs the memory. IMHO, you don't need to overthink this because there is not much choice. Go with a mid- to high-end spec'ed iMac and you'll be plenty happy.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think you meant month?
    No, I was keeping it general. I haven't seen it teased for next month. ne_nau.gif have you?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Have you thought about possibly getting a macbook pro? Just a thought but you can take it with you and still hook it up to your existing monitor, keyboard, and mouse. While your away from home you can do still do your post processing.
    Carl
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    No, I was keeping it general. I haven't seen it teased for next month. ne_nau.gif have you?

I was just thinking that the end of the year isn't so close...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    carmel6942 wrote:
    Have you thought about possibly getting a macbook pro? Just a thought but you can take it with you and still hook it up to your existing monitor, keyboard, and mouse. While your away from home you can do still do your post processing.
    Thanks for the suggestion Carl, but I it was my windows laptop that screwed up the write, and I really dont need another laptop :P
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    P.S. My Girlfriend is really pushing for a computer, so is there any certain Mac you guys would recommend for heavy photo editing and not too much money?
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    P.S. My Girlfriend is really pushing for a computer, so is there any certain iMac you guys would recommend for heavy photo editing and not too much money?

Well, that's really a personal choice about money/utility.

I wouldn't get less than a 20" screen, and I would definitely get the 24". But if you're tight with money, get the 17". I mean, really, what can we say? They're all pretty good. You spend more, you get more. Pony up and make a decision! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:

Sorry, Mike, I missed this. I'll ask him.
    Sid.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    P.S. My Girlfriend is really pushing for a computer, so is there any certain iMac you guys would recommend for heavy photo editing and not too much money?

For heavy photo editing, the amount of RAM will almost matter more than the CPU. If she's into Photoshop, then a Mac with a couple GB of RAM and a fast second scratch disk (internal or external) should outrun the next more expensive Mac model equipped with only stock RAM and HD.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    Thanks for the info Sid, it gives me alot to think about!

""Striking New Industrial Design"?" Now I'm gonna have to wait a little bit longer lol :p.

Mike,

He has a 24" iMac with the 2.0ghz processor and just 1GB of memory. His software is Final Cut HD.

In his words, "it flies." And this is a guy who cuts on a loaded G5 with Final Cut Pro for his day job, so he has a fair basis for making a judgment.

He says he just bought CS3 and plans to add 1GB of memory.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

He'll need it for the FCP upgrade....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    He'll need it for the FCP upgrade....
    I don't think that's in his plans. He says he used Final Cut HD, which he describes as being essentially identical to FCP, except that it's designed for DV cams (I think that's what he said.)
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I don't think that's in his plans. He says he used Final Cut HD.

Hmmm. It looks like a beautiful upgrade. Have you seen it?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hmmm. It looks like a beautiful upgrade. Have you seen it?
    Yeah, I peeked after you first posted the link in the other thread. It sounds great. I'm a customer, not a user, so a lot of it is lost on me. But it sure sounds like they've added a lot to the package.

I think cost is a big reason why he's not talking about an upgrade. Plus, I think he believes he doesn't need it.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Sorry, Mike, I missed this. I'll ask him.

Its alright Sid =). Thanks =).
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Mike,

He has a 24" iMac with the 2.0ghz processor and just 1GB of memory. His software is Final Cut HD.

In his words, "it flies." And this is a guy who cuts on a loaded G5 with Final Cut Pro for his day job, so he has a fair basis for making a judgment.

Man, that sounds awesome... I just wish it wasnt $2000 ><. Looks like I might have to head towards a refurbished iMac, PowerBook G4, or the 17 inch iMac instead :/.
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    For heavy photo editing, the amount of RAM will almost matter more than the CPU. If she's into Photoshop, then a Mac with a couple GB of RAM and a fast second scratch disk (internal or external) should outrun the next more expensive Mac model equipped with only stock RAM and HD.

I spent some time a few months researching the 'optimal' (oh, soooo subjective) config for CS2/CS3 and RAM and separate scratch disk were the biggies, even per Adobe. But the iMacs don't seem friendly on adding another disk, except external. Maybe I'm PC brainwashed, but an external scratch disk would almost seem pointless on a PC. I want fast, but think the Mac Pro is overkill (& expensive).

This whole scratch disk thing is keeping me from buying the 24" iMac (or MacBook Pro). Does anyone use an external scratch on the iMac?? eek7.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I spent some time a few months researching the 'optimal' (oh, soooo subjective) config for CS2/CS3 and RAM and separate scratch disk were the biggies, even per Adobe. But the iMacs don't seem friendly on adding another disk, except external. Maybe I'm PC brainwashed, but an external scratch disk would almost seem pointless on a PC. I want fast, but think the Mac Pro is overkill (& expensive).

This whole scratch disk thing is keeping me from buying the 24" iMac (or MacBook Pro). Does anyone use an external scratch on the iMac?? eek7.gif

I don't, but I would think that Firewire would be plenty fast. And on the 24" you get FW 800.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    mrbill62mrbill62 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    Man, that sounds awesome... I just wish it wasnt $2000 ><. Looks like I might have to head towards a refurbished iMac, PowerBook G4, or the 17 inch iMac instead :/.

Keep an eye out for the refurbs, I have bought several refurbs ... all indistinguishable from new. The Apple Store usually updates in the mornings, but not necessarily every morning. Patience can be rewarded.

I have seen the 2.0 GHz Mac Pro for $1899, the 24" iMac for $1699, and my current machine the 20" iMac for $1299.

Occasionally the refurbs come with 'silent upgrades'. YMMV. Mine came with a 500 GB HD, one 1 GB RAM stick (not 2 - 512's), and the 256 MB video card.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2007
    mrbill62 wrote:
    Keep an eye out for the refurbs, I have bought several refurbs ... all indistinguishable from new. The Apple Store usually updates in the mornings, but not necessarily every morning. Patience can be rewarded.

I have seen the 2.0 GHz Mac Pro for $1899, the 24" iMac for $1699, and my current machine the 20" iMac for $1299.

Occasionally the refurbs come with 'silent upgrades'. YMMV. Mine came with a 500 GB HD, one 1 GB RAM stick (not 2 - 512's), and the 256 MB video card.
    nod.gif I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Mac Pro 2.66 refurb.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2007
    Refurbs are smart. Same warranty.

Apple does one kind of sneaky thing. They publish the original price of the unit and the price of the refurb, often ignoring the fact a newer model has replaced at the same cost, with fast processor/better features. Just pay attention.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Refurbs are smart. Same warranty.

Apple does one kind of sneaky thing. They publish the original price of the unit and the price of the refurb, often ignoring the fact a newer model has replaced at the same cost, with fast processor/better features. Just pay attention.
    Yes, I can. FLIPA.gif

I have superpowers.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Yes, I can. FLIPA.gif

I have superpowers.

Took you long enough! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Took you long enough! :D
    lol3.gif
    Sid.