CHAMP Car anyone??

F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited April 18, 2007 in Sports
Sharpshooters,

Here are a few images from the inaugural Las Vegas Grand Prix which took place here last weekend. Great fun and as always, great people!
Off to Barber Motorsports Park next week for more Superbike racing (ooooh baby). Enjoy these and of course, all comments are welcomed and appreciated :nod

143750263-L.jpg

143750924-L.jpg

143751651-L.jpg

143751929-L.jpg

143752685-L.jpg

143753956-L.jpg

143754749-L.jpg

143754914-L.jpg
Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
www.christophersedgwick.com

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Excellent ! Really great set there. #2 is only missing the sound thumb.gif
  • TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Hi there Chris,

These are a great set of images. I agree with Gus on #2 its definately my favorite of the bunch.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Gorgeous shots. The only thing I wish is for more of a feel of Vegas. Love the everything you try here, Chris.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    great series and nice variety. I like #2 the best, also.

ironic that the traffic lights are red.
  • F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Thank you very much everyone for the comments!

Gus,
    The sound is still ringing in my ears from being so close to that shot ( I forgot my ear-plugs!).

Nipprdog,
    I think the red lights add a finishing touch to the image too.

Wxwax,
    Almost every photog a the event had the same complaint...not enough Vegas scenery. The course actually went around the downtown core because of the "Fremont Street Experience", which is only a street for pedestrians now.
    The strip and most of the iconic Las Vegas sights were actually blocked off by all the required logistics such as paddock location, pits having to be right next to the start/finish straight etc. but all in all they did a fantastic job in course design...just a bit more work required for scenic shots!
    Cheers,

• asylumxlasylumxl Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    they are awesome! so fresh and different to most photographs from motorsport photographers :). good stuff!
    "If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" (Steven Wright)
    gear.LIST
    Canon EOS 350D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Tamron, 55-200mm, Canon EF 50MM MKII
  • crgphotographercrgphotographer Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    absolutely fantastic shots there!

did you have media access, or did you find a way to shoot between a fence?

ps. go will power! :D
    craig coomans | crgphotography | automotive | landscape | motorsport | weddings
    [
    crgphotography.smugmug.com ]
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Awesome fotos. They spent a lot of money on that race here. They had to remove the center dividers and all those palm trees for goodness sakes! Love the pan shots, I love it when people drag their shutters! Cool images. Nice to see another Dgrinner from LV. thumb.gif
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Great shots Chris! You got some terrific captures there. I only wish these guys ran closer to me - with Nazareth gone, I may have to go to Watkins Glen to catch the IRL crowd this year.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 17, 2007
    These are pretty cool shots. I like the close ups and especially those
    with motion.

Could you compare the course to San Jose? In SJC, it's pretty cramped for
    the drivers and spectators.

As for ear plugs, I just got a set of something similar to these.
    It's nice because they function both as a speaker and block a fair amount
    of noise (of the wind/helmet variety).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    great pics, I really like no 2.
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    WOW these are fantastic
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    These are pretty cool shots. I like the close ups and especially those
    with motion.

Could you compare the course to San Jose? In SJC, it's pretty cramped for
    the drivers and spectators.

As for ear plugs, I just got a set of something similar to these.
    It's nice because they function both as a speaker and block a fair amount
    of noise (of the wind/helmet variety).
    \

San Jose is my hometown, the downtown course is very much the same at the downtown course here. I'd say about three car lenghts at from street to street, very cramped indeed. I'd say they're very much similar (including the prices for tickets, yowza!)

They cleared the middle dividers to make room for the course, which aided in making it larger. Lots of work and money was spent on that race. I dont remember if they hauled away the center dividers in dtSJ though.
  • maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    mr peas wrote:
    \

San Jose is my hometown, the downtown course is very much the same at the downtown course here. I'd say about three car lenghts at from street to street, very cramped indeed. I'd say they're very much similar (including the prices for tickets, yowza!)

They cleared the middle dividers to make room for the course, which aided in making it larger. Lots of work and money was spent on that race. I dont remember if they hauled away the center dividers in dtSJ though.

The first year at SJ was good - I was shooting with LAT and the cars jumping the tracks was quite something (hearing the gearboxes chunk out the tarmac was another...) IMO I feel the San Jose course lost some of the spark from the initial event...(I think Iposted some on here oddly enough).

Andrew
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

• F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Thanks very much mates!

Crgphotographer,
    Yes, I did have media credentials...and I found a way to shoot some of the images through the fence!

Mr peas,
    Both of us living in Las Vegas means we should meet up some time!
    I'm not scheduled for any more events in Las Vegas this year but maybe one day we can meet for a quick lunch and talk shop! I've only met a couple of photographers here in town who are into racing.

Ian408,
    I haven't been to Long Beach before so I couldn't compare the races. I'm originally from Toronto and have been to the Molson Indy (now Toronto Grand Prix) a few times, so compared to TO the Vegas race is very similar but Toronto offers more back drops with the Princess Gates, CNE and Lake Shore Blvd. The course in Las Vegas seemed to be a little wider which makes for a better race but hard to tell how the fans' areas would compare. My guess is that any race in a big city's down town core would be cramped! BTW, thanks for the ear-plug tip!

thumb.gif everyone!
    Cheers,

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 18, 2007
    maczippy wrote:
    The first year at SJ was good - I was shooting with LAT and the cars jumping the tracks was quite something (hearing the gearboxes chunk out the tarmac was another...) IMO I feel the San Jose course lost some of the spark from the initial event...(I think Iposted some on here oddly enough).

I think you're right. I know the city spent a lot of $$ on repair. Especially
    for the light rail crossing :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?