Re-Worked entry for LPS3

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited April 15, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
i re-worked my entry applying some skills ive read about in the tutes and doing some stuff that makes no sense to me, but felt right to do...
i think my reworked entry shows more depth and also "pop" out a little more.... was curious what anybody else thought - the competition in this particular challenge is at a very high level and of course we all got to make it our best....

141987073-L.jpg

143864061-L.jpg

troy

Comments

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    I hope you take this the right way, but I think you went the wrong way with it. The reworked sky seems brighter to me and the colors a little duller.

I tried darkening the sky and bringing out more more color and drama. I used two methods.

In the first, attached here, I added a gradient fill layer which darkened the clouds. I think I may have made a slight saturation and contrast bump. I also rotated the image slightly which I felt made the horizon "seem" Straighter.

I think this strengthens the composition. The bright spot in the stormy sky where the sun is breaking through is on a third, the ray of sunshine is beaming down, drawing the eye to the small mountain bathed in light which is also close to third.

I hope it is ok to show you what I mean. If not let me know and I will remove it.
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    In the secon attempt, I used a layer mask to select just the sky and then made a levels adjustment to just that selection. this seemed to have a little less drama, but a little more detail in the sky.

I made the same saturation, and rotation adjustments. Here is the result.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    clap.gif I love Greapers redo of your photo! That's the one to enter for sure!!!