one dark photo is brightened by SmugMug

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited April 15, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have read in the past all the great info on color spaces and sRGB and 2.2 Gamma and all that and have made the changes necessary. I live in a veritable color paradise now—thanks.

However, this morning I uploaded a particularly (intentionally) dark photo and I believe the built-in color correction algo has brightened it and I'm not pleased! The photo doesn't show the same issue on my Flickr site so that's what I'm chalking it up to. All exporting from Aperture makes sure the files are sRGB.

Is there any way to work around this, if it is indeed the problem?

Notice the high grain visible and too much detail in the tail number:

143902630-M.jpg

(Flickr photo removed—sorry)

Comments

• PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Uh oh—something is rotten here. I checked it in Firefox and they look identical, and both are wrong. Something has changed in the system.

AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!
    edited April 15, 2007
    Okay, weird:

I simply sent the photo out of Aperture into Photoshop CS3 beta and it asked me to convert to the working space, which is sRGB IEC61966-2.1. My camera is set to "sRGB" not Adobe as it's working space but for some reason Photoshop sees the incoming photos as Adobe RGB. What's going on?

Having just done that conversion, it looks better:

143922423-M.jpg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Pindy, we don't alter your photos :) There is no "built-in" color correction that is applied to your displayed photos.

Have a read here:
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2007/02/14/this-is-your-mac-on-drugs/

Fire back any questions you have :)
    edited April 15, 2007
    Hi Andy, I was referring to the "i2e" that you use.
    Andy wrote:

Yes, this is the page I was referring to.

I think what is happening is the export profile from Aperture was set to "sRGB" not sRGB 61xxxxx-2.1" and for some reason this seems to have a huge effect on the output.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Pindy wrote:
    Hi Andy, I was referring to the "i2e" that you use. Or is that only for prints?

i2e is our Auto Color correction at the lab, for prints, yes.
    edited April 15, 2007
    It's so strange. if you look at the "photo info" for both the photos on my SmugMug site, the info is identical except for the file size, as there's less detail in the intended photo. Both claim sRGB.