5D, 30D, or what?

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited April 22, 2007 in Cameras
First off let me say that the 5D will stretch my budget to the max, so the new mark III is out.

That said, I now have a Canon XT and an XTi.
The XTi was going to last a couple of years with no need to look at camera bodies.
Well, after using this camera for about 8 months, I'm starting to think that the XT gives me better shots at ISO 400,
and it seems like I'm on ISO 400 all the time.

So I'm thinking of selling the XTi and getting a 5D or a 30D.
I have a Tamron 17-50 F2.8, a Tamron 18-200, 3 kit lens that won't work on the 5D.
But I do have a Canon 28-300is, a Canon 70-300is (non DO), and a Canon 400L f5.6 that would work on both cameras.

Most of the shooting I do is nature a long ways away, so with either camera I would be fine.
I'd just have to crop the shot myself instead of having the camera do it for me if I get the 5D.

No, the biggest need for me to change is to get a better shot at higher ISO's.

I've read that the 5D is really clean at the higher ISO's (800, 1600), but I've been reading lately that the 30D is just about as good.

So, I'm leaning hard towards the 30D. My Tamrons will work on it, it still has the 2.5 inch screen that is a big help for the old eyes,
and it will save me about $1500, and that's not even adding in the price of a 17-40 or 24-70 lens.

So this post comes down to this. How clean are the shots from a 30D at higher ISO's? Can they compare to the 5D's?
Both of these cameras are getting on in age, I'm really going to hate it when I buy one of them, and the new model comes out a month later.:cry

TIA.
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 15, 2007
    davev wrote:

So, I'm leaning hard towards the 30D. My Tamrons will work on it, it still has the 2.5 inch screen that is a big help for the old eyes,
    and it will save me about $1500, and that's not even adding in the price of a 17-40 or 24-70 lens.

So this post comes down to this. How clean are the shots from a 30D at higher ISO's? Can they compare to the 5D's?
    Both of these cameras are getting on in age, I'm really going to hate it when I buy one of them, and the new model comes out a month later.:cry

TIA.

I suggest you go with your gut. The noise "is" less on the 5D, and you have more pixels to work with, but the cameras share more than they differ. The 30D is still an awesome camera, and a bit more responsive than the 5D. Since your stable of lenses is more compatible with the crop camera, and since the crop gives you effectively longer lenses, I think you would be very happy.

Plus there are reports that the 5D may have some issues with wet and even damp weather, so not my first choice for outdoor photography.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=58806
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    I have never even seen a 5D but i have a 20d & 30d which share the same sensor. This is an ISO 1600 shot from my 20D & the cameras always impress me.

I found this for you if you wanted to have a read.

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Thanks guys.

I ordered the 30D. For what I do, ,I think it's the best choice.

I'm guessing the 40D will be out next month. :D
    dave.

• PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    davev wrote:
    Thanks guys.

I'm about to do the same thing and have the same worries. I won't care much about an incremental update (8MP to 10MP for example—BFD) but I'll be mad if Canon compete with the D200 in terms of sealing, build, etc.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    davev wrote:
    Thanks guys.

You will not be sorry.thumb.gif
  • howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    I think you'll be very happy with the 30D. I use the 20D and here's a recent shot at ISO800 with a dose of Noise Ninja

77270026.s7uJIEHT.IMG_7976_1.jpg
    davev wrote:
    Thanks guys.

edited April 20, 2007
    Got the 30D tonight. It's quite a bit bigger then the XT or XTi.
    It's going to take some time to get used to the 2 screens also.

ISO at a 1/3 of a stop, spot meter, larger viewfinder, all good things.

I took a couple of shots in the backyard. I thought I show em off.

All full framed (no crop) all with the 28-300is.

ISO 3200 (just because)
    145156664-L.jpg

The kid next door
    145156670-L.jpg

My faithful dog.
    145156676-L.jpg

Thanks for the help guys.
    dave.

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    davev wrote:
    The kid next door
    145156670-L.jpg

Nice test shots, I'm impressed with the toddler pic (since I know how hard that can be).

Congratulations on the new camera! I'm going to hold out for at least the 40D. I think I need new glass more than a new body right now.
    Chris
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Bought the 30D today as well. The size difference is striking, although I'm happy to have more to grip on to. I'm happy to have a nosewheel again and my larger lenses, like the 17-55 look less outsized on this body. Congrats Davev.

I look forward to Canon's 40D announcement tomorrow morning! mwink.gif
    edited April 22, 2007
    Pindy wrote:

I look forward to Canon's 40D announcement tomorrow morning! mwink.gif

It's disgusting that we feel that way.
    I think the 30D is a good cam, and hopefully one that I can use for years.
    I just noticed today that I have a stuck red pixel near the center of the sensor. Other than that, the cam works flawlessly.

I need to do a check to see if there's a way to program that pixel out. (kind of like the dust spots

Enjoy the cam Pindy.
    dave.