Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 ex dg macro Nikon mount

carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited April 19, 2007 in Cameras
I am looking for some user comments on this lens. I am looking for a good low light lens for indoor photos. Mostly parties, family get togeathers, and banquets. the Nikon version is way out of my range right now. Thanks for any input.
Carl

Comments

• asylumxlasylumxl Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    great lens, good colours/contrast and sharpness. only two real issues with it really, firstly that it will block the built in flash, and secondly that the quality control isnt perfect and it may need to be calibrated.

an alternative is the tamron 28-75mm which people like. its sharp, but its shots have a slight warm tint to them, but this can be corrected. this doesn't block onboard flash, but isn't as well built as the sigma.

if you want something most comparable to the nikkor, get the sigma.
    "If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" (Steven Wright)
    gear.LIST
    Canon EOS 350D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Tamron, 55-200mm, Canon EF 50MM MKII
  • carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    asylumxl wrote:
    firstly that it will block the built in flash, and secondly that the quality control isnt perfect and it may need to be calibrated.

trying to get away from having to use a flash, but if I need to, I have an sb800. What needs to be done to calibrate it?
    Carl
  • asylumxlasylumxl Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    carmel6942 wrote:
    trying to get away from having to use a flash, but if I need to, I have an sb800. What needs to be done to calibrate it?

you may be lucky and not need to send it to sigma to get calibrated. if you can buy it in a shop, make sure it focuses properly and is sharp before you leave the shop :D.
    "If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" (Steven Wright)
    gear.LIST
    Canon EOS 350D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Tamron, 55-200mm, Canon EF 50MM MKII
    edited April 15, 2007
    Thanks for the advice, that is a very good idea
    Carl
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    carmel6942 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, that is a very good idea

This may or may not be the same deal with you, but I recently tried one in a store, and the zoom ring is really tight, and provides just a little too much friction for turning imo. But ymmv. :P
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
    edited April 19, 2007
    Shameless bump rolleyes1.gif

does anyone else have experience with this lens?
    Carl