I Took a Fish to the Stadium

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited April 17, 2007 in Sports
Cold, windy, drizzly day in the ATL. I swear I even saw a few snowflakes.

It wasn't enough to cool off the hot Braves, who trounced the Marlins and raised their record to 8-2. What a difference a bullpen makes.

Patch29 and I used some free tix from my work to eat hot dogs in the freezing cold, get chilled to the bone, then climb to the top of the stadium.

This was my first visit to Turner Field since I got the 5D. I wanted to test the 16-35 and the 15mm fisheye and see if I could get the classic stadium shot.

OK, so the weather wasn't exactly picture postcard material.

But when life hands you a fisheye, you make a fisheye piccie.

First, the B&W. Kinda aggressive, but hey, we're not talking Grand Canyon sunset here, ya know? :lol3

144059039-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Yahooooo !! Thats all ive got to say thumb.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    So the fisheye did a better job of grabbing the stadium than did the 16-35, even on a full frame sensor. Color me surprised, I guess.

Speaking of color, here's the color version of the same shot.

144060438-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited April 15, 2007
    Sid that is a very nice shot...i thought i liked it in B&W untill i saw the colour one. Not being in the habit of suggesting things to people without them asking ..buuutt what if you dropped the reds & blues back a gear or two on the coloured one ?
    edited April 15, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Sid that is a very nice shot...i thought i liked it in B&W untill i saw the colour one. Not being in the habit of suggesting things to people without them asking ..buuutt what if you dropped the reds & blues back a gear or two on the coloured one ?
    Funny you should say that... I had taken the reds down, I think it was minus 3 in saturation. But maybe that wasn't enough? I hadn't thought about the blues at all. Back to the drawing board! Thanks for the suggestions, Gus.
    Sid.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Sid,

Nice shots. thumb.gif I, too, think the color is a bit better than the B&W on this. A lot more character in the color on this.
    edited April 15, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Funny you should say that... I had taken the reds down, I think it was minus 3 in saturation. But maybe that wasn't enough? I hadn't thought about the blues at all. Back to the drawing board! Thanks for the suggestions, Gus.
    Suggesting what you should to do with a photo is like me taking coal to newcastle but for me anyway with a jpeg in CS2, i use 'image..adjustments..replace colour' I then choose the colour to reduce with the pointer & then use the sliders.

can i have a go ?

Great photo & well worth the time spent on it mate.
    edited April 15, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Suggesting what you should to do with a photo is like me taking coal to newcastle but for me anyway with a jpeg in CS2, i use 'image..adjustments..replace colour' I then choose the colour to reduce with the pointer & then use the sliders.

can i have a go ?

Great photo & well worth the time spent on it mate.

Sure thing, grab the original. Thanks for asking, first.

I haven't used "Replace Color", I'll try it.
    Sid.
    edited April 15, 2007
    I probably shouldnt be trying this as i dont know your light over there & people here dont wear stuff that is as brightly coloured as the clothes appear.

Anyway i backed off the reds & blues with the method i mentioned.

144113728-L.jpg
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Cool shot, I haven't been to a game in Atlanta since Fulton County Stadium days... Is it my imagination, or is there an ever so slight tilt? Try the measure tool from the corner of dirt past third to the corner of dirt past first. I get .4 degrees or so.
    Chris
    edited April 15, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Is it my imagination, or is there an ever so slight tilt?
    I just lined it up on my ever trusty wires inside my 21" Sony CRT & its dead flat. Man i will miss those wires if i ever replace this monitor.
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Great shot of the Ted! That may be the most interesting shot of the stadium I have seen. And yes...the bullpen has been a huge plus this year for my Braves.
    edited April 16, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I probably shouldnt be trying this as i dont know your light over there & people here dont wear stuff that is as brightly coloured as the clothes appear.

Anyway i backed off the reds & blues with the method i mentioned.
    thumb.gif Good call, I see what you mean.
    Sid.
    edited April 16, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Cool shot, I haven't been to a game in Atlanta since Fulton County Stadium days... Is it my imagination, or is there an ever so slight tilt? Try the measure tool from the corner of dirt past third to the corner of dirt past first. I get .4 degrees or so.
    You're probably right Chris, I have a hard time leveling wide angles. Accentuating any tilt, is that the image isn't precisely symetrical.
    Sid.
    edited April 16, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I just lined it up on my ever trusty wires inside my 21" Sony CRT & its dead flat. Man i will miss those wires if i ever replace this monitor.
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
    edited April 16, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif
    Will it look odd if i draw some in on the new monitor ?
    edited April 16, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Will it look odd if i draw some in on the new monitor ?
    rolleyes1.gif It's all relative, right? Odd compared to what? naughty.gif In your pad, it wouldn't be odd at all. :hide

lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Great pictures Sid! I love them both =), nice job! clap.gifclap.gif
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 17, 2007
    I like this view of the stadium. But by your description, I'd have thought
    you were at Soldier Field lol3.gif

Nice work with the fish thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    WB does it for me...great shotwings.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave