Options

Burning Match

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited April 16, 2007 in Holy Macro
Enjoy. Comments always welcome.

EDIT: Image(s) removed. See my gallery for image(s).

Comments

• Options
    DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    I really like the idea -it looks great! But could you shift the images so that the flame doesn't get cut? Currently the sharp division line of fire to the left and right in the center shots is distracting. Any way to make it look more like a single image of four matches burning at the same time?...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2007
    I really like the idea -it looks great!
    Thanks.
    But could you shift the images so that the flame doesn't get cut? Currently the sharp division line of fire to the left and right in the center shots is distracting.
    Each of the four images is uncropped. Reduced in size for convenience, though. These were shot with the MP-65E @1x, so I couldn't back off at all without losing focus.
    Any way to make it look more like a single image of four matches burning at the same time?
    With the image borders being defined by the flame that might be hard. I don't know if an image blend would work here. I could switch to the 28-70 and attempt a reshoot to give me more flame and background and then see.

Thanks for the comments. :D
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I really like the idea -it looks great! But could you shift the images so that the flame doesn't get cut? Currently the sharp division line of fire to the left and right in the center shots is distracting. Any way to make it look more like a single image of four matches burning at the same time?...

By feathering each image I was able to eliminate a lot of the hard-defined borders.

144295127-L-LB.jpg
  • Options
    DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    By feathering each image I was able to eliminate a lot of the hard-defined borders.

144295127-L-LB.jpg

Much better!! In the first image my eye almost immediately when to the the lines in the center shots. Now I see the image as a whole...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Much better!! In the first image my eye almost immediately when to the the lines in the center shots. Now I see the image as a whole...

15524779-Ti.gif

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    these are wonderful great idea never saw it before thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Enjoy. Comments always welcome.

Wow David these look great .... man how cool are they clap.gif
    How many matches did you go through till you came up with your final set?

The ignition happens so fast, did you just fire off a burst of shots ??

Well Done David clap.gif :ivar ......... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    WOW, Great shot(s) How about trying 1 image with 4 matches, lit one by one?? Hehe, just another idea from this side of the nuthouse.. rolleyes1.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the comments. Much appreciated.
    How many matches did you go through till you came up with your final set?
    Used only 1 match - the one in the image.
    The ignition happens so fast, did you just fire off a burst of shots ??
    Got a "free" tripod - my late grandfather's old SLIK with a ballhead. Mounted the camera/macro/ringlight upside down on the bottom side of the riser. Used the ball head to position the lens. Attached my remote release.

Took the match (a fireplace match that is about 12" (30.5 centimeters for you metric folks) and shoved into a can of playdooh for stability. Focused the lens @1x. Took a piece of steel and got it red hot using the burner from my stove.

Took the red hot steel and touched the back of the match and started pressing the release button. It actually burned slower than I taught it would given that the flash fired for each exposure.