can't uninstall beta CS3... wah!

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited April 19, 2007 in Finishing School
:cry wah... no CS3 for me yet!

I have anxiously waited and waited for CS3-- even pre-ordered the download from Adobe in advance last month.

Now it won't install because the beta CS3 is installed. And I can't uninstall the beta CS3! Wah!

I'm running it on windows, and going to control panel, add/remove programs, the beta CS3 isn't even listed. But it's on the machine because it will boot up and run just fine. Is this a windows deal?

Any ideas on uninstalling beta CS3 so I run the full-blown newly released CS3 that I've been waiting, waiting, waiting on?

Rumor is there's some sort of Adobe Clean-Script in the works for stuff like this, but it won't be available for a couple of days. Please say it ain't so-- why do the beta testers have to wait while someone who just purchases an upgrade can get it right away? :cry wah!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 16, 2007
    Pete, you're not alone.

After I installed the beta PSCS3 it would not work either, but it did decommission my PSCS2 that was a legit copy!! So I could not use anything but my older PSCS version!!

I finally reformatted my drive to get rid of that nonsense!!

Welcome to the club. I do have a paid version of PSCS3 in the mail as we speak. I hope I like it better than the beta version!!

Good luck!!

It is not unique to Windows as I run OS X 1.4.9 on a MAC
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Yeah, guess I just need to take a deep breath and wait some more. My CS2 still runs, so does the beta CS3, but today's new release of CS3 doesn't (even though Adobe charged me for it). headscratch.gif

I'm just getting tired of using beta CS3 then having to close it and open CS2 to resize.

You'd think Adobe would somehow reward their beta testers by giving them first dibs on software upgrades (esp. when they pay for them). But if I gotta wait for Clean Script, well that tells me I should have avoided the beta and just bought the full release of CS3. Live and learn...

Here's where I got my info on clean-script:

http://photoshopnews.com/2007/04/16/uninstall-cs3-betas-before-installing-gm-version/

• andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    CS3 Beta uninstaller
    Although it does not seem to help the windows users, this post on adbe talks about the need to remove the beta b efore proceeding to install the production version

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=72&catid=626&threadid=1259989&enterthread=y

Andy
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
    edited April 16, 2007
    Although it does not seem to help the windows users, this post on adbe talks about the need to remove the beta b efore proceeding to install the production version

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=72&catid=626&threadid=1259989&enterthread=y

Andy

Okay, so how do I remove the beta? It's not listed in my add/remove programs and that's how Adobe says to remove it:
    77281720.jpg

edited April 16, 2007
    adobe's response
    Just got a hold of Adobe on the phone about this. They tell me the clean-script will be available from their website tomorrow morning-- that should enable a clean removal of the beta so the regular CS3 can be installed.

In the meantime, if you want to manually remove everything from your registry, here is the info on that:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=kb401492

• erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    I have XP and I was able to uninstall CS3. I guess it only works for some.... Thanks for the links though. I was fully prepared to use the manual process.

I'm downloading CS3 right now but it's painfully slow at 60 KB/sec

Erich
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    I had ps3 beta on my mac. I didn't rtfm before trying to install the full version and had to manually uninstall the beta.

Having read the manual, you have to deactivate the beta and uninstall it with the uninstall prog in utilities before installing the full version.

D'oh !!!
    edited April 17, 2007
    erich6 wrote:
    I have XP and I was able to uninstall CS3. I guess it only works for some.... Thanks for the links though. I was fully prepared to use the manual process.

I'm downloading CS3 right now but it's painfully slow at 60 KB/sec

Erich

Lucky you-- I still haven't had the time to manually remove it and Adobe-- despite what they told me yesterday-- has not yet posted the clean-script on their site.

Is this what I get for beta-testing and purchasing CS3? If I had a beer, I'd cry into it.

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Seamus wrote:
    I had ps3 beta on my mac. I didn't rtfm before trying to install the full version and had to manually uninstall the beta.

Having read the manual, you have to deactivate the beta and uninstall it with the uninstall prog in utilities before installing the full version.

D'oh !!!

What do you suppose happens if you don't deactivate the beta before uninstalling it? I successfully uninstalled the beta from my laptop yesterday, but didn't know to deactivate it. I would have presumed that the beta licensing was completely separate from CS3 licensing so I'm not sure why the two have anything to do with one another.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Is this what I get for beta-testing and purchasing CS3? If I had a beer, I'd cry into it.

Beta testing is like that. If I have any doubts about a beta it is quarantined on a sacrificial extra hard drive with its own system to boot from, because I cannot afford to have it screw up the system components on my production machine.
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    What do you suppose happens if you don't deactivate the beta before uninstalling it? I successfully uninstalled the beta from my laptop yesterday, but didn't know to deactivate it. I would have presumed that the beta licensing was completely separate from CS3 licensing so I'm not sure why the two have anything to do with one another.

headscratch.gif , I don't honestly know, it's in the instructions, I didn't do it either.
    edited April 17, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Beta testing is like that. If I have any doubts about a beta it is quarantined on a sacrificial extra hard drive with its own system to boot from, because I cannot afford to have it screw up the system components on my production machine.

That is a very good idea. Very good. Now why didn't you post this several months ago when the beta came out? :D

Next time that's what I'll do. Ironically, I even have a spare XP OS on a spare drive... so why I didn't use your method is beyond me. headscratch.gif Guess I didn't think it would be such a pain to uninstall!

edited April 17, 2007
    Clean-script to remove beta CS3 now available for macs:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

This is one of the few times I wish I was a Mac user!

• erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    All,

I didn't "deactivate" beta CS3 before I uninstalled it...didn't see that in the instructions until after I had already unistalled it. I also did some of the manual uninstall steps in addition to the uninstall ap.

I installed CS3 without any problems and it's running just fine so I don't think the beta deactivation matters. Take that for what it's worth since these installations appear to be workstation dependent.

One note: if you want RAW to work in Bridge you have to first open CS3, activate it, use RAW and then close it. Now you can open Bridge and get the option to use RAW within Bridge. Also, in my computer I had to turn hardware rendering OFF in Bridge so I can see the preview image.

Bridge is much faster than in CS2 and the new Camera RAW is awesome! clap.gif

Erich
    edited April 19, 2007
    Well, I did the manual uninstall (plus an extra step mentioned on the adobe forums) and managed to get CS3 fired up and working thumb.gif

Now, though, Bridge is struggling! It crashes if I try to access any other HD's than the one CS3 is loaded on. And yeah, I've (several times) reset the preferences (ctrl-alt-shift when starting bridge).

Why do I feel like I'm still running the beta? :D To be honest, the beta was a lot easier to get running than CS3!

Anyone else have any issues with bridge? I see the info listed just above-- any ideas why it would crash trying access another harddrive?

edited April 19, 2007
    Clean-scripts for both windows and mac now available:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

It figures since last night I went through the manual process of deleting everything!