Using IS Function on Lens for Sports????

dkeithdriggersdkeithdriggers Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited April 18, 2007 in Sports
I have been told that you should not use the IS function for sports. What is your opinion? I realize it slows the lens down a bit...Is this the reason? Please advise. I am having the most trouble in extremly low light even opened up to 2.8, ISO 1600, etc. Any advice would be great!!
"The opportunity of a lifetime must be responded to in the lifetime of the opportunity"

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Bump.

I dont own an IS lens but from what i have read you dont want it on whilst panning or following a target.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    The thing about IS is that it stabilizes you. That's fine, but it only stabilizes you, so it only solves half the problem. The other half is the subject, which in sports is usually moving quickly. IS cannot do a thing about that. IS compensates for a slow shutter speed but cannot raise it. Therefore you still cannot raise the shutter speed enough to stop the action, so the action is still blurred. The only way to stop action in low light is to have either a lens with a big enough aperture to allow raising the shutter speed, or have some powerful strobe units around the field that your camera sets off.

Panning is a little bit different. A cheap IS lens can't do much about tracking subjects as you pan. A more expensive IS lens will have two IS modes. The other IS mode is designed for panning. As I understand it, it's really for panning to follow subjects moving across your field of vision, like runners or race cars. I don't know how much that might help other situations like low light levels.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Typically, the shutter speed required to stop most sport's action will also stop hand shake. Therefore no need for IS.

For most night time sports you'll need a fast lens (2.8 minimum) and high ISO (ISO 1600 is common).

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed