Open a Lightroom photo directly into PS?

Roy MathersRoy Mathers Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited April 17, 2007 in Finishing School
Does anyone know if it's possible to open a photo being edited in Lightroom directly into Photoshop? Do the two programs interact with each other?

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Does anyone know if it's possible to open a photo being edited in Lightroom directly into Photoshop? Do the two programs interact with each other?

Yes. In Lightroom, there is an "Edit in Photoshop" option. That brings up a dialog which lets you decide whether you want to edit the orginal or a copy. If you are working with RAW you have to make a copy. In turn, Lightroom can open some but not all PSD files.
  • Roy MathersRoy Mathers Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Yes. In Lightroom, there is an "Edit in Photoshop" option. That brings up a dialog which lets you decide whether you want to edit the orginal or a copy. If you are working with RAW you have to make a copy. In turn, Lightroom can open some but not all PSD files.

Thanks LiquidAir - got it!
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    I'll add...it is a complete mystery how you get back to Lightroom....that is until you just do it and realize Lightroom has somehow figured it out, and imported and stacked the .psd into Lightroom.

This is the only instance of Lightroom actually automatically importing anything in eek7.gif
  • ericgtrericgtr Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    It's a strange application, I don't get why you can't simply open photos without all the import stuff and it seemed to auto doctor my raw files upon import and I'm not sure I like that. I probably need to work with it some more but it's a little confusing.
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    ericgtr wrote:
    It's a strange application, I don't get why you can't simply open photos without all the import stuff and it seemed to auto doctor my raw files upon import and I'm not sure I like that. I probably need to work with it some more but it's a little confusing.
    You have to import, because Lightroom is not a browser. It works off a database of referenced files. So, it needs to import the file information into its database before it can display anything. Building Lightroom around a database was a fundemental decision made by the designers to gain the advantage of rapid image processing (i.e. sorting and searching through images and quickly applying changes to a large group of images.) Had they made it a browser, you wouldn't have to import, but you would lose many of Lightroom's other key features.

There's no reason for Lightroom to auto correct your files on import. Make sure that in the import dialog, under "Information to Apply", "Develop Settings" is set to None. That should bring RAW files in with default develop settings.