Options

NYC Shooting Venues (by private message)

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
We don't answer private messages here. Why? Because this is a public forum. YOU ask the questions, and the community answers them. Asking me, only lets me answer you, and benefits ONLY you.

If I or anyone is going to help, and take the time to respond (and think of how many questions I answer in a day ....), then let's do it in the open so that others benefit. AND YOU benefit, too, because a) I've been wrong (once or twice.... hehe) and b) there are OTHERS who know plenty, too :thumb

PM wrote:
Why not ask the expert, no?

I will be going to NYC for memorial day weekend and though about going to the Bronx Zoo and grand central station to take some pics. I'm looking for color contrasts, unusual architecture, NOT going to times square, etc.

Any places you can think of? Saw that you live in NYC so thought you might know.

Thanks man.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Some favorites:
    1. South Street Seaport
    2. Battery Park
    3. Chinatown
    4. Wall Street
    5. East River Bridges
    6. SoHo (and great shopping too!)
    7. Central Park (lovely in spring)
    8. Upper West Side
    9. Cathedral of St John The Divine
    10. The Cloisters
    11. oh so much more...
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    There's some kind of bridge there, no? :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We don't answer private messages here. Why? Because this is a public forum. YOU ask the questions, and the community answers them. Asking me, only lets me answer you, and benefits ONLY you.

If I or anyone is going to help, and take the time to respond (and think of how many questions I answer in a day ....), then let's do it in the open so that others benefit. AND YOU benefit, too, because a) I've been wrong (once or twice.... hehe) and b) there are OTHERS who know plenty, too thumb.gif

Point taken. Sorry about that. And thanks for the list too.
    Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 17, 2007
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    I'll be in NYC on friday with a full day (sunup to 6pm) free to shoot. I won't have access to a car, I'll be hoofing it mostly unless I feel brave enough to figure out the subway. I'll be staying at a place near Walker & Broadway in Manhattan. Any reccomendations of places to shoot near there?
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Thats right near my job so I know their are plenty of places to shoot near their since I am always doing that too.

First their is china town your almost right their in it or near it (also theres and awesome restaurant near by their) Second the manhattan bridge is near by and if you want to walk it the brooklyn bridge is a little ways away or you can hop on the train for 1 or 2 stops. Third their is the Soho area thats right near where I work, plenty place to shop (my favorite store the mac store on prince street near broadway) and plenty places to eat.

Another place if you do happen to check out the brooklyn bridge is on the manhattan side underneath or near it is southstreet seaport. Couple of old ships and more places to eat and shop. And always a quick ride by train up to times square or central park is great too.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions, Soho and Chinatown sound like a lot of fun.

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Some favorites:
    1. South Street Seaport - check
    2. Battery Park - check
    3. Chinatown - check
    4. Wall Street - check
    5. East River Bridges - check
    6. SoHo (and great shopping too!) - check
    7. Central Park (lovely in spring) - check
    8. Upper West Side
    9. Cathedral of St John The Divine - check
    10. The Cloisters
    11. oh so much more...

Looking back, I didn't realize that I'd hit nearly all of these spots Andy had suggested. Didn't get all of them nearly as much as they may have deserved, but still had a great time and got some good shots nonetheless. Still have to go through all of my shots and pick out the winners, hopefully will have some to post later tonight.

• Options
    andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Looking for similar advice, but a little different

I will be arriving in NY on friday 27th. Have a pretty good list of things to do and see (and photograph!), but was wondering if the locals know of anything going on that might not be covered by the usual tour guides etc. Markets, festivals, shows etc that might only be on this coming weekend etc

Thanks for any input

Andy
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Looking for similar advice, but a little different

I will be arriving in NY on friday 37th. Have a pretty good list of things to do and see (and photograph!), but was wondering if the locals know of anything going on that might not be covered by the usual tour guides etc. Markets, festivals, shows etc that might only be on this coming weekend etc

Thanks for any input

Andy
    What calendar are you using?
  • Options
    andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    What calendar are you using?

The one that doesn't work well with fat fingers rolleyes1.gif

I wll edit the previous message, thanks for noticing
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    IMHO, the best place to shoot the Brooklyn Bridge is from the Manhattan Side, about 200 meters north of Pier 17. Great for pre-sunrise and sunset photos.
    Cave ab homine unius libri