In Memorium

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited May 29, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
144498246-L.jpg

No, it's not a flying saucer (sorry David). It is a monument to the victims of the savage terrorist attack of 11 March 2004 in Madrid, which killed nearly 200 and injured 1000. The monument is in the train station where the attacks occurred and was opened to the public last month. The view looking up:

144305136-L.jpg

The inscription is the text of a few of the condolence messages left after the attack.. There is a wall containing the names of the victims as you enter the area.

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Regards,

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:

No, it's not a flying saucer (sorry David). It is a monument to the victims of the savage terrorist attack of 11 March 2004 in Madrid, which killed nearly 200 and injured 1000. The monument is in the train station where the attacks occurred and was opened to the public last month. The view looking up:

The inscription is the text of a few of the condolence messages left after the attack.. There is a wall containing the names of the victims as you enter the area.

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Regards,

That is a wonderful memorial.
    I see you commented to David about it not being a Space Ship, that was my first thought upon seeing the first image :D

How nice to have to raise your head and look up to the light to read the names, and how fitting too, for there is no darkness where there is light.

Nicely photographed Richard :D .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Very powerful indeed. You have to look up into Heaven to remember those who is no longer with us. Great image, thank you for sharing. thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Nice. Very nice.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 17, 2007
    Thanks for commenting, Skippy, Marina and David. I appreciate it.

Cheers,
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Very horrible event

Superb photos i really liked them and wonderful work done by craftmeniloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited April 17, 2007
    Very horrible event

Superb photos i really liked them and wonderful work done by craftmeniloveyou.gif

Glad you liked them, Awais.
  • MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Great pics and excellent idea for a memorial !
    Thanks.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Yeah, I saw this image earlier. I think it's extremely strong. You really are drawn into asking what these people are all looking at. And the circular pattern, the empty space in the middle, is intriguing. What's going on, your mind asks?

Good stuff.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 19, 2007
    Richard, that's quite an interesting perspective on a beautiful memorial. Interesting how they lit it up from the sides. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited April 20, 2007
    Thanks, guys. I have mixed opinions about the monument. It is dramatic and moving when seen from the inside, which is on an underground level of the Atocha train station. However, viewed from the street it looks like an industrial gas storage tank:
    144304574-M.jpg
    Unless you go out of your way to view it properly, to my mind it is an eyesore. The glass bricks do provide an ethereal light when seen from beneath, but don't do much for the neighborhood.

Picky, picky.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Well done Richard ... both the photos and the memorial.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited May 29, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Well done Richard ... both the photos and the memorial.

Gary

Thanks a lot, Gary. thumb.gif