Industry Secret

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited April 20, 2007 in Cameras
Ok, I can't figure it out...

I am currently using a Canon 20D with a 10-22 lens for interior shots of real estate. When I compare my photos with those of the professionals in magazines, mine create an undesirable depth to the rooms. The photos in the magazines almost seem to be a wide angle with a telephoto feel. They keep perspective and flattening of the image to a very desireable level. Is this technique or lens selection, or both? Are they using a tilt/shift lens?

Thank you in advance for any insights or thoughts you have.

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    some examples would help us understand what you are describing...
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    shatch wrote:

I am currently using a Canon 20D with a 10-22 lens for interior shots of real estate. When I compare my photos with those of the professionals in magazines, mine create an undesirable depth to the rooms. The photos in the magazines almost seem to be a wide angle with a telephoto feel. They keep perspective and flattening of the image to a very desireable level. Is this technique or lens selection, or both? Are they using a tilt/shift lens?

Many professionals use tilt-shift lenses for architecture work. That gives them a wide angle with limitied distortion and greater control over depth of field.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Look up hugin(hugin.sourceforge.net)
    There is an excellent step by step tutorial which you can try on your test shot, and if you like the results, you can use this software. Its Open source, hence free download.
  • XHawkeyeXHawkeye Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Also use two row panoramics with a non t/s lens.
    I Shoot Canons
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    shatch wrote:

The photos in the magazines almost seem to be a wide angle with a telephoto feel.... Are they using a tilt/shift lens?
    Yes. Or maybe shooting medium format, either way, neither is possible with your current equipment (unless you can use photoshop really well :P).
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    I believe DxO can do some nice corrections for lens distortions.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    TS-E and / or multi-row panos are the key thumb.gif
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    Yes. Or maybe shooting medium format, either way, neither is possible with your current equipment (unless you can use photoshop really well :P).

That was my thought. A medium format with a wide-angle tilt-shift would make a huge difference from a 20D/10-22. Recall that a 20D equivalent to the classic 35mm camera 50mm "normal" lens is about 34mm, while a 645 medium format is 80mm and a 6x7 is 100mm. So they can go "wide" and still get a more telephoto look than a crop DSLR on a normal lens.
  • padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    I own a 4x5" view camera (still learning), but I can see why view cameras are very popular among pro (read magazine) architecture and interior photographers.
    Beyond it's incredible high resolution, the camera movements allow a very good control of perspective and DOF. Well, DOF is more complicated, but I believe I could perform some of the perspective control on photoshop... need to do some tests.
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Thanks!
    Sorry, been out of town for a couple of days. Just got back and read all of your replies. Thank you!!! Lots of great ideas. Looks like I need to start perfecting panos and start saving sheckles for the TS-E.

Thanks again to all who provided feedback. Very helpful indeed.clap.gif
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    shatch wrote:

It's inherent to the APS-C format that the DOF is much greater
    with the same lens and settings than in the FF Format. Example:

Take a shot with a 5D at 35mm and f2 -> the DOF will be somewhat shallow. If you cut out the center of this image matching the frame
    the 20D would've taken @ 35mm, you simply crop away alot of what
    makes the shallow DOF. So the smaller the format the seemingly "greater"
    the dof.

Just one quick remark to multi row panos. If you do that you will end up
    with a sperical focal plane where the centerpoint = the nodal point of your
    lens. Sth to think about if you want shallow dof at a geometic interieur.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston