Options

Viewing photos side by side

mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
edited May 15, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Is there software that allows you to view two different photos side-by-side for comparision purposes?

My photo management software is ACDSee and it does not allow this but I figure that someone has to have a product like this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Thanks Chris! I will give this a try!!!!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    It's fast and free... the only thing I don't like about it is that when I rotate a pic 90 degrees, it asks me if I want to save changes. There might be a setting for that, but I haven't dug deep enough yet.
    Chris
  • Options
    Roy MathersRoy Mathers Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Surely Photoshop will do this. You just open both images and place them side by side, at whatever size you like. There is also a facility for automatically matching position and zoom settings for both pics.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    I thought Photoshop Elements might do this but had not been able to find out how yet.

Looking at the website for FastStone Image Viewer I like the idea of being able to view 4 photos at the same time as I usually have 3 or 4 versions of the same photo to evaluate. I'll report back on my thoughts on it.
  • Options
    yowasuphomeboyyowasuphomeboy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 17, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    Is there software that allows you to view two different photos side-by-side for comparision purposes?

My photo management software is ACDSee and it does not allow this but I figure that someone has to have a product like this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

To compare images in ACDSee 9 Photo Manager :
    1. In the Browser, select the images that you want to compare.
    2. Click Tools | Compare Images. Up to four images display in the Compare Images Viewer.
  • Options
    Roy MathersRoy Mathers Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    I thought Photoshop Elements might do this but had not been able to find out how yet.

Looking at the website for FastStone Image Viewer I like the idea of being able to view 4 photos at the same time as I usually have 3 or 4 versions of the same photo to evaluate. I'll report back on my thoughts on it.

I don't use Elements myself (I use Photoshop CS2) but I'm fairly sure that it is able to do what I described, with the possible exception of the automatic zoom and position.
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:

PSE while in the browser, there is a command (can't remember under what drop down- view- I think) for compare photos. You can then compare 2 side by side, match zooms of view them one at a time for a larger image.

I find this a handy way to cull through a bunch of shots and get rid of the OOF ones.

Gene
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Adobe CS Bridge (CS2/CS3) thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Adobe CS Bridge (CS2/CS3) thumb.gif
    To me, the key is SPEED. Bridge does not have it, the FastStone Viewer does... I can have both PS CS2 open and FS Viewer and it works well (especially with dual monitors).
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    To me, the key is SPEED. Bridge does not have it, the FastStone Viewer does... I can have both PS CS2 open and FS Viewer and it works well (especially with dual monitors).

It certainly is fast opening both images. It doesn't appear to want to open more than 2 though. Is that right Chris? (ACDSee will apparently open 4.)
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    It certainly is fast opening both images. It doesn't appear to want to open more than 2 though. Is that right Chris? (ACDSee will apparently open 4.)

Just tried it with 4 and it worked fine for me. 3 works okay, 5 is right out! mwink.gif

Make sure you highlight the four you want with Ctrl-Mouse clicks then hit "P" or scroll to the "Tools->Compare Selected Images"
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Just tried it with 4 and it worked fine for me. 3 works okay, 5 is right out! mwink.gif

Make sure you highlight the four you want with Ctrl-Mouse clicks then hit "P" or scroll to the "Tools->Compare Selected Images"

I was having a highlighting problem, I guess. headscratch.gif Or a senior moment!

Both Faststone and ACDSee work pretty much the same way but ACDSee doesn't have 'compare' in it's right click menu like Faststone does. Faststone might be a hair faster too but it's real close.

Thanks Chris and everyone else that posted!
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Aperture and Lightroom both do a very good job of this. It's a key part of their workflow.
  • Options
    dograttydogratty Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2007
    compare images
    ACD 9 Photomanager, and the previous editions of ACDSee (I had 5.0 thru 8) all had a 'Compare Images' under Tools or select the images and control alt R
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 13, 2007
    Photoshop Elements will let you open as many images as your RAM will accomodate - certainly 4 or 5. Just go to File > Open for each image
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    I've never used this particular plug in, but Beyond Compare ($30) has a free picture viewer plugin that will compare two images and visually tell you what is different between the two images.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    I've never used this particular plug in, but Beyond Compare ($30) has a free picture viewer plugin that will compare two images and visually tell you what is different between the two images.

That looks interesting, thanks!!!