Options

PS Curves

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited February 5, 2005 in Finishing School
Well, I convinced myself to buy Photoshop, so now I'm starting to use it more. Question about curves.

1) I know that film has a non-linear response, whereas digital is rather linear. This accounts for some of the difference in look between the two. Is there a "standard" curves adjustment to change the digital image to a response more like film? Is it worth doing?

2) Do people have a "standard" curve they use for most images they have? A "try this first" type of edit that you put in an action? I made an action to simply drage the mid-point from 128 down to 120 to make a mild change to the image. I haven't played with S-curves or more drastic curves yet.

3) I have already noticed to not use the shadows and contrast sliders in ACR, and use Levels instead. Am I on the right path?

Thanks.
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    Howdy Bill,

I strongly recomend you pick up a copy of Photoshop CS Studio Techniques by Ben Willmore. Hands down the best treatment of Curves that I've read. Even if you don't read any other chapters you'll get your moneys worth.

Short term to answer your questions:
    1. I don't know of a film look curve, but I'm sure they are out there.
    2. I don't really have a standard curve. - You mentioned making an Action. IMHO actions and curves are not a good mix. Since every image is different, every image will need a slightly different treatment. The exception that I see is if you have a bunch of studio shots with identical lighting and you want to make the exact same adjustments to every image.
    3. I use ACR's Shadows adjustment almost every time I import a RAW image. I also use the Exposure adjustment most of the time. I don't use Contrast as often, but I do use it. IMHO you have to use the controls in ACR to get the most out of your RAW images. You just need to be aware of what your adjustments are doing to the image that will wind up inside Photoshop.
  • Options
    CMasterCMaster Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    Intro to curves
    I was actually going to create a new thread here on Curves, but then I saw this discussion here. So I hope you guys don't mind me posting this.

I've seen several posts here by the folks I admire talk about curves. Some odd reason, everytime I'd open up the photoshop curve dialogue, I'm like a deer in headlights. What should I do? What do those eyedroppers really do? Why when I move the curve am I getting a funky effect? headscratch.gif

I felt completely overwhelmed, so I decided to hit the net and see if I couldn't find something helpful. I found this tutorial on Guru's Network. It's a very good introduction to curves. I highly recommend anyone who's been nervous about curves and how to effectively use them to read through this and download the test images and play around. I hope this helps others out as well.
    -- Paul (pmack.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    CMaster wrote:
    I was actually going to create a new thread here on Curves, but then I saw this discussion here. So I hope you guys don't mind me posting this.

I've seen several posts here by the folks I admire talk about curves. Some odd reason, everytime I'd open up the photoshop curve dialogue, I'm like a deer in headlights. What should I do? What do those eyedroppers really do? Why when I move the curve am I getting a funky effect? headscratch.gif

I felt completely overwhelmed, so I decided to hit the net and see if I couldn't find something helpful. I found this tutorial on Guru's Network. It's a very good introduction to curves. I highly recommend anyone who's been nervous about curves and how to effectively use them to read through this and download the test images and play around. I hope this helps others out as well.

Whew! Good link! I'll have to study it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    thanks
    a very good link, thanks CM
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    Good link cmaster.. I don't think you can ever stop studying curves.. I learn something new everytime.. I think if you shoot in raw curves is essential..I find Scott Kelbys photoshop book really easy to follow as well.:D