Help!!

wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
edited April 27, 2007 in Cameras
Was shooting tonight at a girls lax game using my Digital Rebel (300d). It is about 3 years old, has about 20,000 shots on it. Never a problem. All of a sudden the camera will not auto-focus. Because the the focus won't lock--the shutter doesn't release either. I've tried several different lenses--same thing. It just jumps back and forth and won't focus--near or far.

I can't see anything wrong. Any ideas?
Regards

Will

Comments

• Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    wmstumme wrote:
    Was shooting tonight at a girls lax game using my Digital Rebel (300d). It is about 3 years old, has about 20,000 shots on it. Never a problem. All of a sudden the camera will not auto-focus. Because the the focus won't lock--the shutter doesn't release either. I've tried several different lenses--same thing. It just jumps back and forth and won't focus--near or far.

I can't see anything wrong. Any ideas?

Does it work after the game?

Maybe its at the end of its life.

I'd say send it in to canon for a check-up :P.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    wmstumme wrote:
    Any ideas?
    Use your backup body, and send this for a repair estimage. But b prepared for a new camera, it could be anything.
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Use your backup body, and send this for a repair estimage. But b prepared for a new camera, it could be anything.

Thanks. I was hoping you might have some magic vodoo words for me--but I really expected hear what you said.

Any recommendation on places to take the camera to have them look at repairs? Also, any idea on what just an estimate normally runs? I'm not eager to buy a new body at the moment, but also don't want to throw too much cash at repairing an entry level, no longer produced body...
    Regards

Will
    Will,

Do you have any of the "patches/hacks" applied? If so, try the MLU function. That may allow you to cycle the mirror and shutter without a lens attached. See if that helps the situation.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Will,

Do you have any of the "patches/hacks" applied? If so, try the MLU function. That may allow you to cycle the mirror and shutter without a lens attached. See if that helps the situation.

No patches/hacks. Took it to the local camera shop today. They couldn't figure it out either so it's heading out to the Canon repair shop for a diagnosis/estimate. We'll see what they say.
    Regards

Will
    wmstumme wrote:
    No patches/hacks. Took it to the local camera shop today. They couldn't figure it out either so it's heading out to the Canon repair shop for a diagnosis/estimate. We'll see what they say.

Just found out it's going to be $200 to fix. I'm not exactly certain what the problem was, but I figure I can't easily replace this camera (even used) for that kind of cash. I've treated this one pretty gently, but I would have no idea what kind of care the previous owner would have given to whatever I found... So, I'm writing the check.

In the meantime, I did go get a 30d on wednesday. WOW--what a difference! I got to get out yesterday afternoon, and I'll try and post a few of my first shots from my daughter's game in the sports forum this weekend. Even though I was having to keep remembering how all the functions were laid out differently on this body--it was really a nice step up. The Rebel (300D) will have to be content as the backup!
    Regards

Will
    The 300D was a great bargain when introduced, but time has caught up with it and the 30D and the 400xTi are much better cameras today.

You will find the 30D much more satisfactory in many ways.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin