Wedding in the Sunshine!~~

Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
edited May 2, 2007 in Technique
I am taking wedding pictures this weekend in a beautiful outdoor setting. Problem is I am worried about the shadows and the squinting! I am open to suggestions and advise.

"Art Scott"---I'm planning on having fun! :rofl But I want some good shots!

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 17, 2007
    I have two suggestions for shooting outdoors in the sunlight

First - give strong consideration to using fill flash to help fill the shadows and control contrast. Learn how to do this without thinking before the wedding. You might find you prefer to use two strobes off camera on pedestals, rather than just one on the camera also. Look for a nice evenly shaded area to pose in also.

If you are outdoors in the grass, watch out for a strong green cast on white dresses. I shot a wedding on a golf course, so don't ask me how I know about this:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have two suggestions for shooting outdoors in the sunlight

First - give strong consideration to using fill flash to help fill the shadows and control contrast. Learn how to do this without thinking before the wedding. You might find you prefer to use two strobes off camera on pedestals, rather than just one on the camera also. Look for a nice evenly shaded area to pose in also.

If you are outdoors in the grass, watch out for a strong green cast on white dresses. I shot a wedding on a golf course, so don't ask me how I know about this:D

Thank's for your comments. Don't have to worry about a green cast.....we don't have any green grass....right now.
    edited April 17, 2007
    Interesting - it is green as can be here in Indianane_nau.gif

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Interesting - it is green as can be here in Indianane_nau.gif

Yeah I have a full lawn to mow x.x

What part of Western Indiana are you in?

I am not too savvy on shooting people during natural light, but I *love* the way nature looks in natural light. Make sure to get pics of bouquet's and other non-living things with some good natural light settings. They will have a nice glow to them :)
    edited April 18, 2007
    West Central

Just south of Terre Haute

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Rene` wrote:
    I am taking wedding pictures this weekend in a beautiful outdoor setting. Problem is I am worried about the shadows and the squinting! I am open to suggestions and advise.

"Art Scott"---I'm planning on having fun! rolleyes1.gif But I want some good shots!

Fantastic...Glad to hear your gonna have fun....

I concur with Pathfinder on the fill flash..... during a typical(typical meaning in a church sanctuary) wedding you normally would not shoot flash during the ceremony,buuuut this is not typical...so you might want to consider shooting everyting with fill flash{being outdoors it shouldn't be as distracting as it would be in a church} ...unless of coarse you are BLESSED with a mildly overcast day...if so just don't include the sky in the pics............

Good Luck!!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    The exact name escapes me but if there is not enough shade and sun is beating down, try using a translucent reflector over their heads. Makes a HUGE difference.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Interesting - it is green as can be here in Indiana
    It also rained almost ALL winter, was 60 degrees (except for about 6 weeks total), and has rained quite a lot the past week.

Don't ask ME how "I" know thumb.gif
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Nearsighted NinjaNearsighted Ninja Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2007
    Rene` wrote:

"Art Scott"---I'm planning on having fun! rolleyes1.gif But I want some good shots!

If you have to choose between having them facing the sun and squinting or having their backs to the sun and worrying about shadows go with their backs to the sun, and use the already recommended fill flash and maybe a couple of reflectors.

If you want to see everything that can go WRONG at a wedding in bright light let me know and I'll point you to pictures of my wedding.