Question about Element 5

Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited April 21, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm still learning Elements. I figured out how to import a RAW picture and also edited it but I'm missing one important thing.

How can I save it as a jpg file (or something similar) so that I can upload it to smugmug?

Thanks (I'm clueless :rolleyes)
bassett1976.smugmug.com
www.fitmet.com

Comments

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    I have elements 4, but it should be the same.

Across the top were it says File. Click that, then move down the list to where
    it says "save as" click that.

Then a window will come up where you can change the name, where you want it saved on your computer, and what file format you want it in.

Then when you click "save" a new window will ask "JPG Options" (if you're saving it as a JPG) and you can choose
    how compressed you want your file to be.

1 = small file in size, but low quality.
    12 = large file size, great quality.

I normally do a 7 or 8 for web stuff, 12 if it's going to the printer.

Hope this helps you out.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    davev wrote:
    I have elements 4, but it should be the same.

Across the top were it says File. Click that, then move down the list to where
    it says "save as" click that.

Then a window will come up where you can change the name, where you want it saved on your computer, and what file format you want it in.

Then when you click "save" a new window will ask "JPG Options" (if you're saving it as a JPG) and you can choose
    how compressed you want your file to be.

1 = small file in size, but low quality.
    12 = large file size, great quality.

I normally do a 7 or 8 for web stuff, 12 if it's going to the printer.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks, when working with the RAW files I cannot find the way to save to JPG.

My choices are:
    Photoshop
    JPEG 2000
    Photoshop PDF
    Photoshop RAW
    PNG
    Photo Creation Format
    TIFF

What do I do?
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Thanks, when working with the RAW files I cannot find the way to save to JPG.

My choices are:
    Photoshop
    JPEG 2000
    Photoshop PDF
    Photoshop RAW
    PNG
    Photo Creation Format
    TIFF

What do I do?
    This is a poor usability design choice in both Elements and in CS and is one of the most common frustrations and questions when people first starting using RAW or 16-bit images. You have to first convert to an 8-bit image before the 8-bit file choices will appear. In CS, that's Image/Mode/Convert - I'm not sure what the exact menu choice is in Elements. Once you've converted to an 8-bit file all the 8-bit file formats (like JPEG) will be offered as a save choice.

The product would be much easier to use and save this frequent question if it offered the 8-bit choices all the time and then prompted for confirmation that you want to convert the file to 8-bits before saving to that file type. Further, "File/Save As" should always offer the 8-bit choices since Save As is non-destructive on the current content and it soooo common to want to save a source file to JPEG. For all the kudos Adobe gets for it's functionality, it's programs are not nearly as easy to use as they could be.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited April 18, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    This is a poor usability design choice in both Elements and in CS and is one of the most common frustrations and questions when people first starting using RAW or 16-bit images. You have to first convert to an 8-bit image before the 8-bit file choices will appear. In CS, that's Image/Mode/Convert - I'm not sure what the exact menu choice is in Elements. Once you've converted to an 8-bit file all the 8-bit file formats (like JPEG) will be offered as a save choice.

The product would be much easier to use and save this frequent question if it offered the 8-bit choices all the time and then prompted for confirmation that you want to convert the file to 8-bits before saving to that file type. Further, "File/Save As" should always offer the 8-bit choices since Save As is non-destructive on the current content and it soooo common to want to save a source file to JPEG. For all the kudos Adobe gets for it's functionality, it's programs are not nearly as easy to use as they could be.

Thank you! This is what I was missing. I will work on it when I get home.
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • exSnowdropexSnowdrop Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2007
    With Elements 5, I believe you can select your photo and just click on the share icon in the toolbar and select "Send to Smugmug." This works with RAW files and .jpg's
    edited April 21, 2007
    exSnowdrop wrote:
    With Elements 5, I believe you can select your photo and just click on the share icon in the toolbar and select "Send to Smugmug." This works with RAW files and .jpg's

Wow! wings.gif

This is really cool and fairly easy. Thanks! Learned something new this morning!
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com