Canon 16-35L MarkII

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Canon 16-35L MarkII
    ef16-35_28liiu_586x225.gif

Canon Specs Here

Preordered from Tallyn's today. Expected delivery, April.
    So, I didn't read the specs very carefully lol3.gif they changed the filter size umph.gif it's now 82mm. Sigh. Off to www.2filter.com soon I guess :(

Ziggy - you'll explain to me why the diameter changed? ear.gif
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    So, I didn't read the specs very carefully lol3.gif they changed the filter size umph.gif it's now 82mm. Sigh. Off to www.2filter.com soon I guess :(

Reading is hard. blbl.gif

So they could sell more filters. deal.gif
    edited April 3, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    So they could sell more filters. deal.gif

When did Canon buy B+W? lol3.gif
    edited April 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    When did Canon buy B+W? lol3.gif

umph.gif Who said B+W did not offer Canon some kickbacks on 82mm filter sales in April and May 07? :D

Shouldn't you be posting some test photos for us? deal.gif
    edited April 3, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    umph.gif Who said B+W did not offer Canon some kickbacks on 82mm filter sales in April and May 07? :D

Shouldn't you be posting some test photos for us? deal.gif
    Yeah- I have shot a few thus far. So far, so good. More later.
    edited April 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah- I have shot a few thus far. So far, so good. More later.

Your fans cannot take the suspense. Which lens will Andy keep or sell? Tune in tomorrow for the next episode of How the Shutter Clicks. rolleyes1.gif
  • herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Andy, I'm shocked, SHOCKED that you didn't get one of the Conurus-converted Zeiss N 17-35!!mwink.gif
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I thought it was because people complained about vignetting with the old lens. The way to solve that is to make the front element larger or move it further in (make the overall lens shorter).
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited April 3, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    I thought it was because people complained about vignetting with the old lens. The way to solve that is to make the front element larger or move it further in (make the overall lens shorter).
    Nah the vigging on the MkI was never a problem that I experienced. Wide open, the Mk2 vigs the same as the Mk1, AFAICT....
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Andy,

There are several differences between the two lenses, Canon EF 16-35mm, f2.8L USM and the Canon EF 16-35mm, f2.8L II USM.

The biggest difference is that the newer lens has 16 elements in 12 groups, vs 14 elements in 10 groups for the older lens. While the two lenses share the same aperture and range specifications, they are obviously two different formulations, the newer being more complicated and sophisticated. Apparently this is the price to pay for better resolution across the image field.

Enjoy!
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 4, 2007
    herion wrote:
    Andy, I'm shocked, SHOCKED that you didn't get one of the Conurus-converted Zeiss N 17-35!!mwink.gif
    Thought about it, but since I like the focal range for handheld work, too, I wanted the convenience of AF as well, so I was rather excited that Canon decided to pour some dough into improving this lens :D
    edited April 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Thought about it, but since I like the focal range for handheld work, too, I wanted the convenience of AF as well, so I was rather excited that Canon decided to pour some dough into improving this lens :D

It looks like Conurus may have achieved the unthinkable; an adaptation of the Zeiss N 17-35mm, f2.8 to Canon EF mount "with" autofocus and auto aperture.

http://en.conurus.com/faq.html

... and a review:
    http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/cz17_35/v_nikon1735/index.html

Pretty cool stuff, but the specs of the new Canon EF 16-35mm, f2.8L II USM are awfully great! Could it be that the Zeiss optics have true competition?
    ziggy53
    edited April 4, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It looks like Conurus may have achieved the unthinkable; an adaptation of the Zeiss N 17-35mm, f2.8 to Canon EF mount "with" autofocus and auto aperture.

http://en.conurus.com/faq.html

... and a review:
    http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/cz17_35/v_nikon1735/index.html

Pretty cool stuff, but the specs of the new Canon EF 16-35mm, f2.8L II USM are awfully great! Could it be that the Zeiss optics have true competition?
    Hey thanks for the links - I wasn't aware of that mod.
    edited April 4, 2007
    herion wrote:
    Also, I'm not a fan of the weight of that lens. It's almost double the weight of the Canon 16-35L II. That adds up. Not to mention the cost factory naughty.gif
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    You guys are EVIL, you know that? Those Conurus mods are seriously tempting. Hmm...a nice KEH-sourced exotic CZ mega-sharp make-your-photo-buddies-green lens that just plugs onto your EOS body. :eat
  • conurusconurus Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    You guys are EVIL, you know that? Those Conurus mods are seriously tempting. Hmm...a nice KEH-sourced exotic CZ mega-sharp make-your-photo-buddies-green lens that just plugs onto your EOS body. :eat
    Let me additionally tempt you with the CZ Makro-Sonnar 100/2.8
    chanchan_733.jpg

100% crop
    sharpening=0
    Digital Rebel XTi
    RAW converter: DPP
    ISO 400, 1/200, f/5.6
    Autofocus; ONE-SHOT mode locking on the eye
    chanchan100percent_985.jpg

You can clearly see the photographer (me), the flash, the living room, furniture in her eyes. The frame at the bottom of her eye was the keyboard of the laptop computer she was perching on.

By the way, the bird's name was "Chan Chan". We used to call her "Chandler" until we realized she was a hen after she laid an egg. rolleyes1.gif She is a St Thomas conure.
    Bo-Ming
    conurus - world's first independent lens mount conversion with autofocus and auto aperture
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    conurus wrote:
    Let me additionally tempt you with the CZ Makro-Sonnar 100/2.8
    chanchan_733.jpg

100% crop
    sharpening=0
    Digital Rebel XTi
    RAW converter: DPP
    ISO 400, 1/200, f/5.6
    Autofocus; ONE-SHOT mode locking on the eye
    chanchan100percent_985.jpg

You can clearly see the photographer (me), the flash, the living room, furniture in her eyes. The frame at the bottom of her eye was the keyboard of the laptop computer she was perching on.

By the way, the bird's name was "Chan Chan". We used to call her "Chandler" until we realized she was a hen after she laid an egg. rolleyes1.gif She is a St Thomas conure.

Augh! Quit it! :D Seriously, this looks like the kind of conversion to get fence-sitters like me to try some exotic glass. I need to do some research to decide if it's really worth it to try some of these out. New thread on these, maybe?
  • XHawkeyeXHawkeye Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    The-Digital-Picture's 16-35 2.8 II Review
    I Shoot Canons
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    XHawkeye wrote:
    The-Digital-Picture's 16-35 2.8 II Review
    thumb.gif Improved sharpness in the corners, but not yet nirvana.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    I'm still dying to hear what Andy had to say about this lens.

Or anyone else who has one for that matter, but Andy seems to be especially fussy about corner sharpness in WA lenses.
    If not now, when?
    edited April 18, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    I'm still dying to hear what Andy had to say about this lens.

Or anyone else who has one for that matter, but Andy seems to be especially fussy about corner sharpness in WA lenses.
    Have you seen the weather in the northeast lately? lol3.gif

I haven't shot much with it yet :(

Soon, soon, soon I promise!

Early indicators:

* vigs LESS than MK1 at f/2.8 and f/4
    * SHARPER on the FF body in the corners, yes, for sure.
    * LESS CA on high contrast areas than the MKI
    edited April 18, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    thumb.gif Improved sharpness in the corners, but not yet nirvana.
    In real-life shooting, it's actually MUCH sharper in the corners. If you put an eye-chart in the corners while shooting El Cap, you might notice something, but if you take the eye charts out, you'd see sharp leaves :)
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    In real-life shooting, it's actually MUCH sharper in the corners. If you put an eye-chart in the corners while shooting El Cap, you might notice something, but if you take the eye charts out, you'd see sharp leaves :)
    That's encouraging, thanks.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    It's going to be beautiful this weekend/week thumb.gif :ivar
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    I'm really looking forward to your assesment and posts from this lens. Did it come in handy in Utah?

The only downside I see so far is that SingRay's variable netural density filter won't fit this lens larger filter size. In the scheme of things it's a small thing, really.
    edited May 28, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to your assesment and posts from this lens. Did it come in handy in Utah?

The only downside I see so far is that SingRay's variable netural density filter won't fit this lens larger filter size. In the scheme of things it's a small thing, really.
    Too funny.... I'm in Utah shooting lansdscapes for a week, and I barely used it, favoring instead my 24mm TS-E and it's super usefulness for panos :)

I did shoot this with it: http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/2907824#156745435-L-LB and this http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/2907824#156530113-L-LB

And I'm sure I have more.. I'll look again :)
    edited May 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    And I'm sure I have more.. I'll look again :)

158760439-L.jpg

I took this shot to torture this lens a bit.

Notice on this one, that the flaring is extremely well controlled. Also, look very very carefully at the high contrast edges - there is an amazingly low amount of Chromatic Abberation - in this case, just a bit of red fringing, very, very easily fixed in either ACR or Photoshop. This file is unsharpened. f/8, ISO200, 25mm.

157250738-L.jpg
    edited May 29, 2007
    Andy,

Those look great to me! thumb.gif I am tempted.
    ziggy53
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Film vs digital lens design issues?
    Jeff Hirsch who should know says the mark 1 had to be redesigned because it didn't work as well for digital as it did for film? He claims that the the mark 1 was a super sharp lens for film, but somehow didn't translate so well to digital.

Does this make sense? If so, why?
    If not now, when?
  • Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Looks great, Andy !
    Andy wrote:
    I took this shot to torture this lens a bit.

Notice on this one, that the flaring is extremely well controlled. Also, look very very carefully at the high contrast edges - there is an amazingly low amount of Chromatic Abberation - in this case, just a bit of red fringing, very, very easily fixed in either ACR or Photoshop. This file is unsharpened. f/8, ISO200, 25mm. Original here.

157250738-L.jpg

The mark II looks great here, Andy ! I have the Mark I.
    Maybe not as good, but the mark II is very very pricey here in the Netherlands.
    The mark I has become my favourite lens for streetphotography.
    I had started a thread here on DG
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=62045

Have a look.

Bye,

Peter Dumont