1st try LL Baseball, at night

j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
edited April 22, 2007 in Sports
Uggh.. My sons (thats not him, btw) games are all at night. 1st try at baseball. I have to shoot through a fence also.

I had to shoot ISO 1600 and shutter at 1/1600, f2.8. Very underexposed obviously so I bumped exposure up in pshop. I also used NN with no USM.

So.. for my next outing I need some suggestions please on settings. I only have the 70-200 f2.8. I do have flash but I dare not use it. I thought it would be lit up more, but no such luck.

Here's what I have.

144921388-L.jpg

144921435-L.jpg

144921448-L.jpg

144921422-L.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    j-bo wrote:
    Uggh.. My sons (thats not him, btw) games are all at night. 1st try at baseball. I have to shoot through a fence also.
    I had to shoot ISO 1600 and shutter at 1/1600, f2.8. Very underexposed obviously so I bumped exposure up in pshop. I also used NN with no USM.
    So.. for my next outing I need some suggestions please on settings. I only have the 70-200 f2.8. I do have flash but I dare not use it. I thought it would be lit up more, but no such luck.
    Here's what I have.

Considering you shot at ISO 1600 these turned out pretty darn good :D
    Hopefully some of the folks who are right into sport will help you out with a reply ... I like last shot of your son ..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • CalexPhotoCalexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Considering you shot at ISO 1600 these turned out pretty darn good :D

I have to agree, these are good considering you shot at ISO1600. Great shots, I'm sure one of the "Pros' here will be able to give more input on settings. It looks to me like you've done what you can in this situation, and it turned out pretty good.
    LT
    Sony A700&VG; KM 7D&VG; KM 5D; Min 28-75/2.8; 50/1.7; Tammie 17-50/2.8; Tammie 90/2.8 Macro; Min 80-200/2.8; and Min 300/2.8, two flashes, and a couple of other accessories.
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    good shots. I think you might be able to get by with 1/500 or 1/1000 & maybe 800 iso.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • aurorahubbyaurorahubby Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2007
    Try this....
    Nice shots j-bo.

You certainly have the right lens. I shoot LL Baseball too and my 70-300 VR (3.5-5.6) doesent cut it under the lights or at dusk. Been contemplating spending the $$$ for 80-200 f2.8. You pics are helping me make that decision..

Give this a shot:

Set your ISO to 1600 initially, mode to Aperture Priority, and open up the lens all the way. Take a few shots and tweak the ISO down as low as you can get it while still retaining a fast enough Shutter Speed to stop the action. "The Book" says you should be able to stop human action at 1/500 but I prefer it a little quicker for baseball, especially if you want to "freeze" the ball. The wide open aperture will have the added advantage of a short DOF which will blur the background and help emphasize your subject.

You can use the same approach during the day, but start out at 400 or 800 ISO (depending on time of day, overcast, etc.)

Hope this helps.

P.S. - Pics would also be better if you could get your kid's coach to choose a different uniform color! :D
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    j-bo wrote:

Here's what I have.

You've done fairly well here, if you can get those settings at night you're lighting is not bad. The key to good high ISO performance is not to UNDEREXPOSE. You will bring out the noise if you try and lighten them up in PP. You want to OVEREXPOSE slightly to get the cleanest results.

In these situations (night) I almost always shoot manual, you will get considerably more consistant results. Use the histogram and make sure you are shooting a bit to the right for the cleanest results.

Don't be afraid of high ISO shooting, if you remember to overexpose just a bit you will find get some great results even at ISO 3200.

A few examples to show some night high ISO shots. These have been run through NN.

#1 ISO 1600, 1/1000s, at f2.8

134308717-L.jpg

#2 Same settings.. you can see some ball movement. This is college ball and 1/1000s is about the lowest I like, but at the little league level you can get by at 1/500s but I would like a bit higher even for that.

134311750-L.jpg

#3 The last is at ISO 3200, 1/400s, and f2.8 just to give you an idea of high ISO results.

133552973-L.jpg
    Dan

Canon Gear