what do you think

morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
edited February 19, 2005 in People
Hello I am wondering if anyone would be able to help by checking out some of my work and giving your honest opinions on them. Thank you.
www.morrisphotography2003.smugmug.com

Comments

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    Hello I am wondering if anyone would be able to help by checking out some of my work and giving your honest opinions on them. Thank you.
    www.morrisphotography2003.smugmug.com

I'm not much of a sports photographer, so I'll leave that up to the x-spurts, however I will tell you that when you're shooting a batter, you really need to have the ball in the picture, preferably right before it's hit by the bat. That makes for a far more interesting image. Try using continuous drive, shoot a bunch of images as the ball is pitched and you should get one with the ball on the bat.

batter.jpgnot my image.

Beyond that, I think you're username is too long. 1drink.gif

Welcome to da grin.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    thank you I will keep that in mindthumb.gif
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Hi Robert.Welcome.
    Is that the Ross Rams?
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    10327443-M-2.jpg
    Here is what I love about this photo. It is an intereting perspective and you caught the peak of the action. The colors seem a little dull ( I know from my own experience shooting softball if you have the clouds going in and out it can be maddening) and I wish I could see her eyes (visor doesnt help you much).
    When people look at sports photos they want to be able to see what is going on, its your job to try to capture that emotion and maybe a way that havent seen before. Be it a pass, shoot, throw catch, win loss......
    3ax-lg.jpg
    (this is not my photo, it came from AP, but you can tell he is very excited that umass had just upset uconn in hoops)

12759364-M-3.jpg
    This one is good in that you can see the intent of the player, you can see the concentration, I would crop the top part out and if adjuste the camera to get the speed up to reduce the blur of the ball and his hands ( I work with available light to so I know how hard it is in some indoor arenas).

An excellent, excellent site for sports photograhpy is http://www.sportsshooter.com check it out.
  • morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    no it is actually a small school near Defiance, Ohio
    MHJS wrote:
    Hi Robert.Welcome.
    Is that the Ross Rams?
    edited February 2, 2005
    thank you for your comments, I will keep them in mind to become a better photographer. This is why I love this web site so much. People are not affraid to tell it like it is. Keep your comments coming thumb.gif
    winger wrote:
    10327443-M-2.jpg
    Here is what I love about this photo. It is an intereting perspective and you caught the peak of the action. The colors seem a little dull ( I know from my own experience shooting softball if you have the clouds going in and out it can be maddening) and I wish I could see her eyes (visor doesnt help you much).
    When people look at sports photos they want to be able to see what is going on, its your job to try to capture that emotion and maybe a way that havent seen before. Be it a pass, shoot, throw catch, win loss......
    3ax-lg.jpg
    (this is not my photo, it came from AP, but you can tell he is very excited that umass had just upset uconn in hoops)

12759364-M-3.jpg
    This one is good in that you can see the intent of the player, you can see the concentration, I would crop the top part out and if adjuste the camera to get the speed up to reduce the blur of the ball and his hands ( I work with available light to so I know how hard it is in some indoor arenas).

An excellent, excellent site for sports photograhpy is http://www.sportsshooter.com check it out.
    edited February 4, 2005
    I just got the chance to look at that site you gave me and it has given me alot of realy good ideasthumb.gif thank you winger
    thank you for your comments, I will keep them in mind to become a better photographer. This is why I love this web site so much. People are not affraid to tell it like it is. Keep your comments coming thumb.gif
    edited February 6, 2005
    I have posted new photos and replaced the photo of the girl playing softball with the correct photo. I have no idea of why it was messed up but it is fixed and ready now.
    edited February 6, 2005
    Here are some places I was looking for ideas for myself for hoops (hoops is new for me)
    Here is Duke's page, click on all the photogalleries http://goduke.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/duke-m-baskbl-sched.html
    Tenn Women's hoops http://utladyvols.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/tennw-w-baskbl-sched.html
    And UNC: http://tarheelblue.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/unc-m-baskbl-sched.html

And of course a shameless plug for myself: http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/umas-m-baskbl-sched.html ( I think there are 2 or 3 games that are AP, but it says my name on them and if not it says the name of the AP photographer)
    I got some great shots yesterday but I am not sure why the gallery isnt up. I will have to check on that tonight.
    edited February 10, 2005
    hey Winger,

I just picked up the Street & Smith's GREATEST COLLEGE BASKETBALL PROGRAMS OF ALL TIME, it has some good ideas for basketball photos. If you can't find it and you want to see it let me know
    edited February 10, 2005
    hey Winger,

I just picked up the Street & Smith's GREATEST COLLEGE BASKETBALL PROGRAMS OF ALL TIME, it has some good ideas for basketball photos. If you can't find it and you want to see it let me know
    really, can I get that at a newstand.....

Shoot that reminds me... i needed to come up with ideas for an interesting team photos. Well I guess I have till 2pm tommorow.
    (for women's lax)
    edited February 11, 2005
    I dont know if it will be there but I found mine at Walmart. It has given me some good ideas plus it covers the top 100 colleges of all time, UMass is 78th all time, I think they got the short end of the stick considering they had Dr. J and didnt even have a photo of him in the article.
    edited February 15, 2005
    15784400-M.jpg
    I have posted new photos and replaced the photo of the girl playing softball with the correct photo. I have no idea of why it was messed up but it is fixed and ready now.
    edited February 18, 2005
    15414451-L.jpgthis is the photo that I had to re-upload because it was distorted, I dont know whyclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 18, 2005
    this is the photo that I had to re-upload because it was distorted, I dont know whyclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    This is nice. You've got the wind up, concentration and some motion blur.

My apologies but I'm viewing this on a laptop and not my regular box. However,
    the young lady's face looks OOF. If you can, adjusting the focus point to centre
    point is ideal.

You're on the right track with this one. Plus, you've got a unique angle in this
    shot.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited February 18, 2005
    15414456-L.jpgok so maybe this one is betterne_nau.gif
    ian408 wrote:
    This is nice. You've got the wind up, concentration and some motion blur.

My apologies but I'm viewing this on a laptop and not my regular box. However,
    the young lady's face looks OOF. If you can, adjusting the focus point to centre
    point is ideal.

You're on the right track with this one. Plus, you've got a unique angle in this
    shot.

Cheers,
    Ian
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 19, 2005
    Focus is better in the second shot. The release is cool too!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?