Question about posing small group shots

Photo GuyPhoto Guy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited April 20, 2007 in Technique
Hi All,

I shoot photos of the Community Band/Orchestra my lovely bride is a member of.

For an upcoming concert that is part of their 25th Anniversary Celebration, the band is having five previous conductors come and conduct one piece each.

I will be shooting photos of the guest conductors and the current conductor. There will be abt least five of them, and maybe a sixth.

My question is, other than some standard half circle, straight line, two in chairs three standing photos, what else should I am for?

My brain is kind of locked at the moment. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks my friends,
Daniel

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Daniel,
    Since it's a band shindig, you can pose them as the different performers. I'm sure each one has his/her own favorite instrument, and it is also quite possible they all are different. I'd go for a quintet shot in a heartbeat.deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Someone whose brain can handle complex patterns could come up with a design that has them in the orchestra area, some sitting, some standing, amidst the stuff of an orchestra.

I don't know what pattern would work, but if not overdone, it might make a stimulating photo.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Someone whose brain can handle complex patterns could come up with a design that has them in the orchestra area, some sitting, some standing, amidst the stuff of an orchestra.

I don't know what pattern would work, but if not overdone, it might make a stimulating photo.

Good idea, Sid! thumb.gif

I was also thinking of five profiles in a tight row, shot with long tele from a distance, so they are all about the same size.
    Something like this: http://img.rosbalt.ru/pics/dec_145.GIF

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Look here for an in depth discussion of portait posing. The page I am linking you to covers small groups. However, it is worth reading all of the chapters.

http://jzportraits.home.att.net/chapter-08.html
  • Photo GuyPhoto Guy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Thank you all for the suggestions.

Nikolai, I love the idea of shooting the conductors with their main instruments. Wonderful!

Wax, love your idea, just don't think I'm going to have that kind of time. This is going to be just a quick thing I get to do with them immediately following the concert. I'll probably have about 15 minutes with them - max.

And Liquid Air - thank you for the link. I'll print it out and read it.

Again, many thanks my friends!

Dan