LPS4 Possible entry, C&C welcome

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited April 20, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi, my inspiration was man's impact on the landscape creating essentially artificial landscapes. This is my favourite so far as most of the elements in the image are artifical, even the clouds.

The lens flare could be argued as another artificial feature, or should I remove it? I attempted to get a toy camera type effect in PS by applying a guassian blur.

Please let me know what you think.

145082346-M.jpg

Charlie

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Charlie,
    thebigsky wrote:
    Hi, my inspiration was man's impact on the landscape creating essentially artificial landscapes. This is my favourite so far as most of the elements in the image are artificial, even the clouds.

The lens flare could be argued as another artificial feature, or should I remove it? I attempted to get a toy camera type effect in PS by applying a gaussian blur.

Please let me know what you think.

Charlie

While I understand what you're saying about artificial effect of the humans on the landscape (and the lens flare on the image), if I skip the talk and go to the image itself (just like the judges will) all I see is:

1) darn con trail
    2) darn flare
    3) darn poles and wires

Come think of it, all classic tell-tell signs of a rookie snapshot...rolleyes1.gif

These 3 factors immediately kill the image for me. I don't wont to think of the themes, I simply don't like it anymore. If you were one out of five, I could have been willing to spend some more time and think deeper. However, with the potential number of competitors being 100+ or even more, it would not stand a a chance...ne_nau.gif

Maybe if it was just one of them "[EMAIL="cr@p"]crap[/EMAIL] factors" I would get the message, like, looks this would be a great landscape if only X wasn't there, and this X is artificial, hence - I dig it. But all three...

Good news - looks like it's easy to reshoot, n'est pas? :-)

Good luck! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    So you didn't like it then?

Charlie
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    So you didn't like it then?
    Charlie
    rolleyes1.gif
    You've said in your original message:
    thebigsky wrote:
    Please let me know what you think

So I did deal.gif

Answering your last question: no, *I* didn't. ne_nau.gif Which is, of course, only MHO.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    I think I can see what you were after with this shot, but I do feel like this shot misses that mark. I also am not convinced that what you were shooting for would really convey the theme well enough.

That said, if you want to work this idea to improve the photo, here are my thoughts. I am not fond of having the sun in the frame because it grabs all the attention even though it is not really your subject. You might try bringing a ladder of some sort and shooting from a bit higher vantage point. I think that will let you fill more of the frame with flowers and increase the apparent size of that field. You should also have a chat with your plane pilot and get him to fly a little straighter mwink.gif
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Thanks guys for your input, I've noticed that other shots that have made the semi-final list have pretty tenuous links to the themes in question, I was also considering this 'artificial' landscape but maybe I'll change direction.

145123439-M.jpg

It'll be interesting to see how many more unrelated images make it through.

Charlie
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    While I understand your thoughts behind this image (the original one), I also do not think that it conveys a message of artificial.

The sun in the frame gets all my attention as well.