Talk to me about manual focusing please!

Phil_LPhil_L Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
edited April 19, 2007 in Holy Macro
My Sigma suffers from a front focus problem and is on its way for recalibration.

Even recalibrated, I realise AF is not going to cut the mustard!

How do you guys do it? My attempts have given miserable results. :scratch

Is a macro rail on tripod a good idea?

Is Velbons macro rail good? Other??

And while I am asking dumb questions, any Nikon shooters have experience with the R1 macro flash?

tia :D :bow

Phil

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Phil_L wrote:
    My Sigma suffers from a front focus problem and is on its way for recalibration.

Even recalibrated, I realise AF is not going to cut the mustard!

How do you guys do it? My attempts have given miserable results. headscratch.gif

Is a macro rail on tripod a good idea?

Is Velbons macro rail good? Other??

And while I am asking dumb questions, any Nikon shooters have experience with the R1 macro flash?

tia :Dbowdown.gif

Phil

If you can wait a week- manual focusing is going to be my next tutorial mwink.gif

Using a tripod and a rail is bound to help with focusing but is often too limiting. It is much better to practice manual focusing- just takes a while to get it right.

Not familiar with the flash unit, but provided it has separate heads which you can move and vary the power to and you can fit diffusers to the heads it should be fine. The macro flashes I don't like are the ring flashes that attach directly to the end of the lens.

Brian V.
  • Phil_LPhil_L Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    If you can wait a week- manual focusing is going to be my next tutorial mwink.gif

Using a tripod and a rail is bound to help with focusing but is often too limiting. It is much better to practice manual focusing- just takes a while to get it right.

Not familiar with the flash unit, but provided it has separate heads which you can move and vary the power to and you can fit diffusers to the heads it should be fine. The macro flashes I don't like are the ring flashes that attach directly to the end of the lens.

Brian V.

Said flash has two separate heads that can be removed and remotely triggered.

Thanks and of course I'll wait. :D