Color problem with detail

djsilver666666djsilver666666 Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited April 20, 2007 in Technique
Is their some way I can make the color smoother in this photo? It's is a really great shot (I cropped it for this forum) but the color variance detracts from the shot. Any help?
And I am in a time crunch to fix this problem if I can, soccer tournament this weekend.

145135098-O.jpg

Comments

• rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Hi DJSilver,

Others may have better suggestions, but if you have access to Photoshop, I'd try the "Reduce Noise" filter. You can play around with the settings, but the "Reduce Color Noise" slider may help.

You could also try selecting an color individual channel in the Channels tab and applying a Gausian blur.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    That is standard fare for noise removal tools like Noise Ninja (and others, everone seems to have their favorite).

One way to approach it in Photoshop is to "Convert to Profile" to LAB color and then use a gaussian filter on the a and b channels, leaving the L channel alone. However, Noise Ninja will likely do a better job.
  • slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Very easy to remove color noise in Photoshop...

1. Apply Gaussian blur to the whole image. You can find this on the command menu under "Filter / Blur / Gaussian Blur." Don't need a whole lot, 3 to 5 pixels in the Radius setting.
    2. From the command menu, select "Edit / Fade Gaussian Blur"
    3. On the pop-up Fade box, select "Color" in the Mode drop-down box. Hit OK.

Voila, color noise is gone
  • djsilver666666djsilver666666 Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    slapshot wrote:
    Very easy to remove color noise in Photoshop...

1. Apply Gaussian blur to the whole image. You can find this on the command menu under "Filter / Blur / Gaussian Blur." Don't need a whole lot, 3 to 5 pixels in the Radius setting.
    2. From the command menu, select "Edit / Fade Gaussian Blur"
    3. On the pop-up Fade box, select "Color" in the Mode drop-down box. Hit OK.

Voila, color noise is gone

Thanks for the quick replys everybody :D

I seem not to have a "Fade Gaussian Blur" option from the Edit menu after I apply the blur. (Step 2) Maybe I will use the Noise Ninja...

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    I use Neat Image at times to remove noise in my pics. I downloaded a version awhile back that was free. Not sure if you still can but you may want to check it out. Also I have used the reduce noise filter in CS2 and it seemed to do a pretty good job.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Thanks for the quick replys everybody :D

I seem not to have a "Fade Gaussian Blur" option from the Edit menu after I apply the blur. (Step 2) Maybe I will use the Noise Ninja...

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0

Sorry, I am using PS CS2...not familiar with Elements
  • djsilver666666djsilver666666 Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Well the Noise Ninja worked wonderfully! Thanks! :D

See fixed version:
    145198914-O.jpg