LPS4 idea

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited April 21, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
unfortunately ( or maybe fortunately ) i cant enter this image but i wanted to know if "you" thought it fits the theme "organic"...
that would be a help to me.....

Cracks and Crevices:

145168885-L.jpg

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Troy,
    windoze wrote:
    unfortunately ( or maybe fortunately ) i cant enter this image but i wanted to know if "you" thought it fits the theme "organic"...
    that would be a help to me.....

Cracks and Crevices:

I like it a lot. thumb.gif
    A little pop maybe, maybe another shot at a more dramatic lights, but it's good as it is... deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like it a lot. thumb.gif
    A little pop maybe, maybe another shot at a more dramatic lights, but it's good as it is... deal.gif

I agree... a little PP for some pop, but it's pretty cool. Where is this?
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Looks like the Big Island to me. It more says "struggling life" or "nature finds a way" to me than organic, but I do like the shot.
    Chris
  • Annie222Annie222 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    I think its cool - what is it?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Troy just been to (or maybe still is at) Hawaii. There is a lot of volcanic activities there and volcanic soil is believed to be a great place for plants...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Either a little PP for some added drama or even a crop might be all it needs. I am fascinated by the formation in the lower left quadrant and am wondering how that might look as a composition.
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    El Malpais
    Nikolai wrote:
    Troy just been to (or maybe still is at) Hawaii.
    Hey Guys,

Something similar (pahoe-hoe lava folds slightly cracked) could be found in El Malpais west of Grants New Mexico. Matter of fact, our camera club has a newbie trip out there and to the Ice Caves on Sunday.

Windoze - care to fill us in on why you could NOT enter?
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    BistiArt wrote:
    Hey Guys,

Something similar (pahoe-hoe lava folds slightly cracked) could be found in El Malpais west of Grants New Mexico. Matter of fact, our camera club has a newbie trip out there and to the Ice Caves on Sunday.

Windoze - care to fill us in on why you could NOT enter?

this particular image was taken about 48 hours before the challenge began.... ;(

it is part of a lava flow that destroyed the town of Kalapana in the early 90's.
    but i wanted to get a response as to its appropriateness to the theme, which could definetly help me with another image im going to take... ( if i can arrange it ).
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Lava Tubes?
    windoze wrote:
    this particular image was taken about 48 hours before the challenge began.... ;

In El Malpais, the cooling pahoe-hoe can be more dramatic, creating landforms not normally seen. For example, some of the lava tubes.

If memory serves, Ice Caves is just such an environment - now a typical 31F, so you take a jacket along with camera!

Not knowing where you are, it might be difficult to get real hot lava, but its an idea.
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Too busy?
    I'm not sure where your young sprouts are popping out of the old lava flow, but I'd try to isolate one single sprout, or try to get a slightly more developed and "organic" looking shape.

I think I shot mine on film, but I had a real neat plant with little branches of green coming out of the black lava.

Just my two cents, of course. It would be real cool to have an all black lava background and one little plant isolated in the foreground... but I have no idea what your lava field looks like.

Isn't lava fun? You might consider bringing some water, or water in a spray bottle and helping nature along a little to make it even more photogenic? Just an idea. Drops on the plant, or very shiny lava?
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    I like it, but it needs different light. The back is too dull.
    Robert