Options

what I need

toolmantoolman Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited February 21, 2004 in Cameras
So after having a camera for over a week, I have realized that one thing I need is more optical zoom. I have x4 right now but would rather have x12. I learned that digital zoom doesnt mean anything.
I also learned I need a tripod, and a remote controle capabilities. With a moment delay between me pushing the button and the picture being taken there is a ton of movement. Not the best for sports...
I learned it would be nice to have a flash boot.

But here is my question. I have read about RAW files. I can not belive this, but the way I understand it is, you take a raw picture and when you get home you can adjust all the parameters? How many cameras have this option, nobady ever takes about them. I have never heard anything. This would be a perfect tool for a beginer such as myslef if I understand it corretely...

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    Well, that didn't take long! Already ready to move up the camera ladder. Bring yer wallet!

People talk about RAW files all the time with digital SLRs. A few consumer cameras have RAW capability. Canon says my G3 will shoot a RAW file, although I've never tried it. Working in RAW lets you set the correct white balance and set the exposure parameters that you want - it's like you're the chip inside the camera, making the settings you should have used. So it will fix exposure issues.

What working in RAW will not do is help with blur, depth of field, or any physical motion issues with the shots.

Quite a few consumer cameras have wireless remote controls (again, my G3 has one.) Working with a tripod is a great idea - I always have mine with me. You can get cameras with x8 or x10 (even x12 I think) optical zooms that also have image stabilization. I've seen a pic or two that back up the claim that the IS works well.

OK, that's the limit of my knowledge, and the more techincally proficient can probably find a mistake or two in my description of RAW.

Good luck!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    toolman wrote:
    So after having a camera for over a week, I have realized that one thing I need is more optical zoom. I have x4 right now but would rather have x12. I learned that digital zoom doesnt mean anything.
    I also learned I need a tripod, and a remote controle capabilities. With a moment delay between me pushing the button and the picture being taken there is a ton of movement. Not the best for sports...
    I learned it would be nice to have a flash boot.

But here is my question. I have read about RAW files. I can not belive this, but the way I understand it is, you take a raw picture and when you get home you can adjust all the parameters? How many cameras have this option, nobady ever takes about them. I have never heard anything. This would be a perfect tool for a beginer such as myslef if I understand it corretely...
    Hi Toolman,
    I'm pretty much a beginner too and I have a Rebel 300D (new) I love the RAW picture factor... being new I make exposure mistakes and with raw you can add or subtract some fstops at the computer. You can also change the lighting quite a bit.
    They take up more room in the camera but whats the point of having a lovely camera that can take the best shots you can and then degrading them before you even get to the computer? I also love the histogram part of the camera, I don't know if your's has one or not but it's a great tool to tell you if you've over or underexposed by looking at the graph. I was intimidated at first (graphs scare me) but now I love it. In fact... I'm depending on it just a little toooo much :) Just my beginner 2cents worth.
    Lynn
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Well, that didn't take long! Already ready to move up the camera ladder. Bring yer wallet!

People talk about RAW files all the time with digital SLRs. A few consumer cameras have RAW capability. Canon says my G3 will shoot a RAW file, although I've never tried it. Working in RAW lets you set the correct white balance and set the exposure parameters that you want - it's like you're the chip inside the camera, making the settings you should have used. So it will fix exposure issues.

What working in RAW will not do is help with blur, depth of field, or any physical motion issues with the shots.

Quite a few consumer cameras have wireless remote controls (again, my G3 has one.) Working with a tripod is a great idea - I always have mine with me. You can get cameras with x8 or x10 (even x12 I think) optical zooms that also have image stabilization. I've seen a pic or two that back up the claim that the IS works well.

OK, that's the limit of my knowledge, and the more techincally proficient can probably find a mistake or two in my description of RAW.

Good luck!
    Sid? why don't you like to use RAW setting??