petteri's black and white methods updated

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited February 3, 2005 in Finishing School
petteri sulonen has added a nice film grain technique to his

most excellent digital b&w workflow

take a gander.

Comments

• Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    I always find Petteris essays and tutes very gooed reading material, thanks for the heads-up Andy!!! clap.gifclap.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    So do I...
    The guy really has style and class imho. Thanks for the heads up, Andy.

I think it would be a blast to have him over here.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    petteri sulonen has added a nice film grain technique to his

most excellent digital b&w workflow

take a gander.

Nice! And timely, for me. I started playing around with some kart photos. Duplicate the background twice as new layers. Convert first layer to black and white (I just took hue and saturation sliders to full-left, now I can read about better ways). The took second layer, used magic lasso to grab just the kart, and made a reveal layer. Color racing kart on a black and white background.

Since we're on Photoshop shenanigans, when I grab a selection, and then make a reveal mask layer on that selection, is there any way to make the edges of the selection a gradient? So that the layer beneath blends somewhat into the layer on top, rather than a harsh reveal edge?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Nice! And timely, for me. I started playing around with some kart photos. Duplicate the background twice as new layers. Convert first layer to black and white (I just took hue and saturation sliders to full-left, now I can read about better ways). The took second layer, used magic lasso to grab just the kart, and made a reveal layer. Color racing kart on a black and white background.

Since we're on Photoshop shenanigans, when I grab a selection, and then make a reveal mask layer on that selection, is there any way to make the edges of the selection a gradient? So that the layer beneath blends somewhat into the layer on top, rather than a harsh reveal edge?
    Yep!

Several ways actually. Select > Feather might work for you. You can also press Q to get into quick mask mode and then run the gaussian blur filter to blur the edges of your selection, then press Q again to leave quick mask mode.

You may find that you need to expand your selection before blurring the edges. You can do that with Select > Modify > Expand.