DXO Pro Optics v4.0

Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited November 12, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I d/l DXO's trial verion. MSRP is $299 - more or less. However, I don't have any clue why I can't enlarge
the pictures that are transported to DXO from my picture folder. All it does is remain small, other photo-editors
can be enlarged to see them better. Also, when I edit a picture using DXO, how come I can't see any change before my eyes,
like I do in other photo-editors? Does or did anyone have/had DXO?
I like trying all photo-editiors. I don't like PS7 too much, and it cost $319. I saw PS's CS2, but they want $649.:rolleyes
The thing is, I like DXO's interface better than any of them so far, but I just dunno how to us it.:rofl
http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    I use DxO (4.2 now, I think). It is not really a substitue for Photoshop. It does some quite nice automated processing and some quite powerful enhancements but nothing that I would call real editing. Generally it works best when used as a RAW converter when you have the appropriate modules for your camera and lenses.

The processing DxO does is qutie powerful and some of the things it does are difficult to reproduce anywhere else. However, the things it does are computationally expensive and take some time. As a result, DxO is not completely WYSIWYG. Some of what it does is only visible after you have processed the images to JPEG, TIFF, or DNG.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I use DxO (4.2 now, I think). It is not really a substitue for Photoshop. It does some quite nice automated processing and some quite powerful enhancements but nothing that I would call real editing. Generally it works best when used as a RAW converter when you have the appropriate modules for your camera and lenses.

The processing DxO does is qutie powerful and some of the things it does are difficult to reproduce anywhere else. However, the things it does are computationally expensive and take some time. As a result, DxO is not completely WYSIWYG. Some of what it does is only visible after you have processed the images to JPEG, TIFF, or DNG.

Or you can preview a small 100% zoom for all of the changes. Otherwise, I agree.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    DxO looks good, but it sounds somewhat difficult to use. So I won't buy it until I learn how to use it.
    Only way I can use DxO over and over again, after it expires, so that I can learn, is to reformat the HDD;
    but don't feel like doing that every 2 weeks.eek7.gif

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    DxO Optics Pro version 4.2
    In the Enhance tab changes made are displayed immediately. Photos can be enlarged up to 200%.

Check out the Technical Support link for info on editing.

DxO OP can be a little complex at first but so can Bibble or Lightroom. All Converter software of this nature has it's own little quirks and odd way of doing things. Each one has certain things it does better than others.

I really like DxO but I find that on my PC it is somewhat slow. Bibble, Lightroom or i2e all process much faster but for some photos only DxO gives me the result I am looking for.

I still use Photoshop, just not as often.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    One thing that everyone overlooked is DXOs most powerful and original feature...lens distortion correction. The best on the planet IMO.

DXO is definitely "different" but can be very useful especially if you take a lot of wide angle shots. Also it's automated process could not be easier as long as you find the changes it makes acceptable. Very useful for when you have a bunch of shots with similar exposure and lighting.

Also, there is a zoom tool. Once selected you can enlarge by clicking on the photo or scrolling with the mouse wheel.
  • Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    I'm still trying to get to find the zoom tool so I can use to mouse's wheel to scroll to zoom - still nothing.
    I get the feeling that if I ever get it to zoom, the pictures will pixelate, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Has anyone ever used Digital Darkroom? Never buying it unless I win a sweepstakes. It costs over $1400.rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    I hate to bump an old thread, but it's on the same subject...

For those that have used this software before, how do you compare it to Bay Photo's correction that's available with SM? Has anyone used it with Lightroom and were there any advantages beyond what can be done in LR?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!