First wedding

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited June 30, 2007 in Technique
I've been asked to take some photos for my brother-in-laws wedding in June. They know that my only qualification is that I own a decent camera, but want me to do it anyway!

I've never done this before and am not sure where to start, or even what to ask. Tips on this kind of photography, preparation, types of shots to take, etc, would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Photo GuyPhoto Guy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    I took some photos of my sister's wedding in November of last year. Very stressful since I'd never done it before but it was a lot of fun.

What type of camera do you have? Make sure if this is an indoor wedding, that if you have to boost your ISO, your camera handles the boost well as far as grain is concerned.

Just off the top of my head this is what I did:

1) Where will the wedding be? Indoors? Outdoors? If outdoors, what time of day? If indoors is it a church? If it is a church, you'll need to talk to the person officiating the wedding to find out what is allowed as far as flashes, etc.

2) Go to the rehearsal the evening before the wedding so you can get an idea of what the ceremony will be like. You want to watch closely to see different angles you can shoot from. Take plenty of practice shots and review them on a computer so you can see how they look and if you're happy with the depth of field, framing, etc.

3) How many people in the wedding party? This is very important because sometimes the larger the wedding party, the more formals you'll need to take. Where will the formals be taken? Also find out from the B&G if there are any formal photos they'd like with people NOT in the wedding party. Make a printed list you can have with you on the day of the wedding to make sure you get all the formals you need.

4) Check your lens inventory and make sure you'll have the needed focal lengths and speeds to be able to do a good job. If you don't have them, start looking in your area to see if anyone rents lenses.

5) Go to your local library and check out some books on wedding photography.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll check back in and post more later.

Best of luck to you!

Dan
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    WOW! Lots of reading to do! Thanks for both your posts.

I'll read through all of this and probably ask some more questions later.

By the way, I think the wedding is going to be in a hall of some sort, which is where the reception will be. The wedding party is very small. I think just the b&g's kids. I'm still waiting for more info.

My equipment inventory is very small. Just a Nikon D80, 28-200 (35mm format), 18-55, and an SB600 speedlight.

Thanks again for the help.
  • Nearsighted NinjaNearsighted Ninja Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 25, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    WOW! Lots of reading to do! Thanks for both your posts.

I'll read through all of this and probably ask some more questions later.

By the way, I think the wedding is going to be in a hall of some sort, which is where the reception will be. The wedding party is very small. I think just the b&g's kids. I'm still waiting for more info.

My equipment inventory is very small. Just a Nikon D80, 28-200 (35mm format), 18-55, and an SB600 speedlight.

Thanks again for the help.

Add a diffuser to that kit and you should be good to go.

The key to photographing a wedding is preperation. Go to the wedding rehersal and also speak to the Master of Events (usually the DJ) to find out the order of events. Don't be afraid to get in close be be withing the effective range of that SB600, and let the B&G know that you'll be coming in close at times.

Fred
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    interesting because I've heard many a wedding photog say they run the show, not the DJ. Last wedding I was at, the photographer ran the show even letting the DJ know when he could play music.

100766092-L-3.jpg
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    interesting because I've heard many a wedding photog say they run the show, not the DJ. Last wedding I was at, the photographer ran the show even letting the DJ know when he could play music.
    Depends on what type of personality you have. There aren't any set rules that a photog must or must not do.

This can be a boon though, since you are only limited by your creativity in capturing the moments.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    evoryware wrote:

100766092-L-3.jpg

Wow, those people do not look happy! (with the photographer!!!) eek7.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited May 2, 2007
    evoryware wrote:

I guess it all depends on the venue. This is why preperation is so important. At my wedding the DJ was in charge but you could tell that he and the photographer had good communication going on.
    edited May 2, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    I've been asked to take some photos for my brother-in-laws wedding in June. They know that my only qualification is that I own a decent camera, but want me to do it anyway!

I've never done this before and am not sure where to start, or even what to ask. Tips on this kind of photography, preparation, types of shots to take, etc, would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

If this is your 1st wedding I would definitely ask them to hire a professional. I’m sure that you’re up to the task but weddings can be very stressful and if something goes wrong it could hurt your relationship with your brother-in-law. You’ll have much better time if he hires a pro for the traditional portraits and you can have fun taking the photojournalism type photos.
    edited May 2, 2007
    If this is your 1st wedding I would definitely ask them to hire a professional. I’m sure that you’re up to the task but weddings can be very stressful and if something goes wrong it could hurt your relationship with your brother-in-law. You’ll have much better time if he hires a pro for the traditional portraits and you can have fun taking the photojournalism type photos.
    Thanks for this advice Ninja. I have already done that and told them that they would not get professional results having me as their photographer. However, they still want me to do it, even with all of my discalaimers about the quality of photography I'll provide. They don't feel that they can afford to hire someone right now and do understand that they will end up with something more along the lines of a 'photojournalistic' set of prints.

So, all of the input I've received on this thread will be a great help. Thanks to all of you!
    edited May 2, 2007
    Good luck and if you have time take a look at "Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories by Glen Johnson"

Great book
    edited May 2, 2007
    Good luck and if you have time take a look at "Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories by Glen Johnson"

Great book

Thank you , I'll check it out.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Nothing sucks the joy and spontaneity out of a wedding like a photographer "running the show". I don't recommend that course of action to any photographer...ever.

A wedding is a celebration, not a movie set, or a work camp. This places more work and responsibility on the photographer to stay alert and flexible. Running the show allows the photographer to get lazy, surly, and dictatorial. And the photos usually reflect that.

If you want real expressions and interactions from the participants, the photographer should be largely unnoticed. If someone needs to keep the party going, the DJ or maître de is a far, far better choice.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Sorry, I just used that as an example of the photographer giving direction for the posing of the cake cutting. I don't think he came across as dictatorial, but he did seem to run the show. I think they were more concentrating on not accidentally cutting the cake before he finished the pose.
    Overall, I think they were happy although I haven't seen the results, other than mine. When I got married, we were set up for the cake cutting by the reception staff. Photographer was pretty stealthy except for pre-planned posed shots, and the first dance. Which I liked.

100766097-M-5.jpg

100701745-M-4.jpg

148951131-M.jpg

This wedding is why I stopped shooting Program mode and started shooting RAW.
    wanted to add regarding the lighting, The reception was candlelit. I mean they had tungsten lighting, but it was dim to match the candle lights. Be prepared for low light.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited May 3, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    wanted to add regarding the lighting, The reception was candlelit. I mean they had tungsten lighting, but it was dim to match the candle lights. Be prepared for low light.
    Thanks Evoryware. I'm still waiting for details on the location so I can be as prepared for things like the low lighting as I can be.
  • DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Thanks Evoryware. I'm still waiting for details on the location so I can be as prepared for things like the low lighting as I can be.

I'm no pro but I'll share my experience of 6 weddings .
    I think you will be able to take most of the shots with the 18-55 , remembering that you can always crop a wide shot even at a slight quality loss rather than not being able to get everything in . The lens that starts at 28 will be a bit restrictive for close work and as you get closer to 200mm , even though you can get some different shots with it , less pictures turn out ok because you are magnifying your movement and need lots of light for clear shots .
    I would say for the preparation [ getting ready ] and ceremony , concentrate on the 18-55 . When you go for formals put on the 28-200 if the need arises and you have some time to play with .
    My new Tamron 17-50 2.8 is becoming my favourite wedding lens ....
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .
    edited May 4, 2007
    Desmond wrote:
    I would say for the preparation [ getting ready ] and ceremony , concentrate on the 18-55 . When you go for formals put on the 28-200 if the need arises and you have some time to play with .
    My new Tamron 17-50 2.8 is becoming my favourite wedding lens ....
    Thanks Desmond.

I've been thinking about the Tamron 17-50 2.8 for quite a while now and posted a thread in one of the other forums. Got some good reviews and lots of good things are said about it on the internet. So I finally broke down and ordered one today. Can't wait until it comes in next week.
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:

Thanks.

One tip I have that has nothing to do with the actual photograhpy part is be present at all the events surronding the wedding with camera. I have shot quite a few of my friends weddings and its a mixed blessing. Because they usually beg me to take their photos, its cheap for them and all sorts of anxiety for me.

I mean Im a sports photograhper I dont want to mess up my friends wedding photos. So In addition to all the research, how do you combat personal fears and anxiety of dealing with people.

In some ways there is an advantage to knowning the crowd and them knowing your background, but I found the weddings I have shot for friends by just being part of all the events leading up to the main event I grew a comfort level and as I grew a comfort level I could slink back into the shadows like the true sports photograhper I am. I would imagine as you shoot more events yourself you will feel more comfortable and confident about the big day. I am shooting another friends wedding in september and I know I am going to check out the cermony site before then so I have an idea of what sort of lighting issues I may come up against.

Know going in that you will find lots of things could of done better, I look at that wedding I shot in less than a year ago, and the pictures I took at a recent wedding that I was not a photographer and they have improved greatly.

I also find its helpful ahead of time to sort of have a list of the shots you want to get.

And much like sports photograhpy. Never put your camera down, and always look for a shot. I think one of the best things about knowing the photographer is that you know the relationships that the bride and groom have with all the people in the room. And it is highly likely that you will capture a photo of aunt jude talking to the brides favorite grandmother with tears than some joe photographer off the street. It is obviously the bride and grooms day but everyone that is in that room is important to them (or tied by blood :) and sadley missed by most wedding photograhpers, but its usually the photos that evoke the most appreciation from my friends.

Sorry this post isnt more coherent.
    edited May 8, 2007
    winger wrote:
    One tip I have that has nothing to do with the actual photograhpy part is be present at all the events surronding the wedding with camera. I have shot quite a few of my friends weddings and its a mixed blessing. Because they usually beg me to take their photos, its cheap for them and all sorts of anxiety for me.

I mean Im a sports photograhper I dont want to mess up my friends wedding photos. So In addition to all the research, how do you combat personal fears and anxiety of dealing with people.

In some ways there is an advantage to knowning the crowd and them knowing your background, but I found the weddings I have shot for friends by just being part of all the events leading up to the main event I grew a comfort level and as I grew a comfort level I could slink back into the shadows like the true sports photograhper I am. I would imagine as you shoot more events yourself you will feel more comfortable and confident about the big day. I am shooting another friends wedding in september and I know I am going to check out the cermony site before then so I have an idea of what sort of lighting issues I may come up against.

Know going in that you will find lots of things could of done better, I look at that wedding I shot in less than a year ago, and the pictures I took at a recent wedding that I was not a photographer and they have improved greatly.

I also find its helpful ahead of time to sort of have a list of the shots you want to get.

And much like sports photograhpy. Never put your camera down, and always look for a shot. I think one of the best things about knowing the photographer is that you know the relationships that the bride and groom have with all the people in the room. And it is highly likely that you will capture a photo of aunt jude talking to the brides favorite grandmother with tears than some joe photographer off the street. It is obviously the bride and grooms day but everyone that is in that room is important to them (or tied by blood :) and sadley missed by most wedding photograhpers, but its usually the photos that evoke the most appreciation from my friends.

Sorry this post isnt more coherent.

Thanks for the advice Winger. I really appreciate it.
  • montlyfoolmontlyfool Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2007
    Wedding photos
    I have shot several weddings for friends and family. Like yourself, I was not sure what to shoot. I went onto the internet and printed a list of shots that are normally taken at the wedding. I also looked at several weddings shots before. I made notes and hoped for the best. I stayed out of the way, took alot of candid shots, and posed the wedding party according to my list as time permitted. There is never enough pictures taken. I used a nikon 35mm for my first and shot 4 big rolls. The next wedding was shot using a Z3 camera and over 300 shots were taken. Out of all these, I put together a great wedding album with the best shots.
    Looking to purchase a new DSLR camera in the summer.
    Good luck and have fun with it...
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    It is not much time but if you send me your personal email I will send you my shot list that has some explanations of some of the shots.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    evoryware wrote:

Depending on the wedding, it may be well planned and the photographer and DJ just follow the plan or it may be unplanned and the DJ and photographer have to help direct the action. The smaller less formal weddings tend to be the later. This is why I always attend the rehersal to get a feel for this. At the last wedding I shot they looked to me for lots of things even where to stand for the ceremony and which way to face (wedding was in a backyard by the pool).
    151184244-S.jpg

If they don't have a wedding coordinator sometimes the photographer becomes the defacto one. Now that I think about it I need to start asking about that and charging more if they don't have one, because it sure adds to the workload if they don't. Many times they haven't thought through how they will enter their reception, if they will be announced, if they are doing a receiving line, when they are going to cut their cakes, etc. They tend to forget anything after the ceremony. Well at least a good % of the weddings I have done, the smaller less formal weddings.

As far as directing I mean when to cut the wedding cakes, reminding them that they can/should do a first dance, etc. I try to just remind them, but let them know that it is their day and their decision when to do it or not.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
    edited May 9, 2007
    montlyfool wrote:
    The next wedding was shot using a Z3 camera and over 300 shots were taken. Out of all these, I put together a great wedding album with the best shots.
    Looking to purchase a new DSLR camera in the summer.
    Good luck and have fun with it...
    Thanks Montly, I was just reading in the book that was suggested to me earlier in this thread and one of the photographers said they would shoot something like 300 - 400 shots per photographer and would typically use two photographers! That's a lot of photos.
    edited May 9, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    It is not much time but if you send me your personal email I will send you my shot list that has some explanations of some of the shots.....
    Art, I just sent you a PM with my email. I would really appreciate the list, thanks.
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Thanks Montly, I was just reading in the book that was suggested to me earlier in this thread and one of the photographers said they would shoot something like 300 - 400 shots per photographer and would typically use two photographers! That's a lot of photos.

300- 400 is pretty low for me. 600 - 1300 with most at 800 is more inline with the number of images I end up with.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • kazuri imageskazuri images Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Yes, I suggest you take at least several hundred photos. When I shoot alone, I'll take over 700 on a 5-hr shoot. When I shoot as a 2nd photographer, we'll each do 400 or so. I don't necessarily recommend that you give them 800 to choose from, but if they are all "good" go ahead! I have found that you never can guess what photos other people will like. What is a great shot to me will be overlooked and a client will choose a photo that wasn't my favorite. I vascillate between wanting to have my "best work" floating around out there and giving it all to them, knowing that either way, they are still buying a photo. Bottom line, they get what they like and they pay for it! So shoot it up, remember to photograph the little details, and have fun!

Darci
    www.kazuriimages.com
    dlscott56 wrote:
    edited May 12, 2007
    Thanks Bham and Darci, Looks like I better get a couple more memory cards!
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:

And this should be obvious, but don't forget extra batteries as well! Taking that many photos will drain your camera... plus before it gets completely dead it will slow down response time a lot, so replacements are good to keep your camera responding promptly to you.

Not a wedding issue, but from my personal experience I remember when i was shooting pictures for the Japanese School at Middlebury College the summer of 2005 and near the end the professors were performing their "talent show" skit (after all the classes had gone). I went to take pictures of thier human pyramid, got the pyramid itself, but then TOTALLY missed when they opened up a banner because the camera refused to finish recharging the flash since the battery was so low at that point. By the time the camera was ready to take a shot again the pyramid had disassembled.

Ever since then I always carry a fully charged spare with me :)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Some thoughts:
    • Have at least 50% more memory than you think you'll need
    • Get it in small units. I shoot with 2GB cards
    • Swap cards when you have space left on the card for 10 - 25 more images. This allows you to swap when it's quiet and you won't run up against the dreaded "CF Full" (or whatever Nikon uses) in the middle of the "First Kiss".
    • Do not delete images from the card. This can be a good way to corrupt the card and loose a lot of images.
    • Download the images to a computer using a card reader, not the camera
    • Format all your cards in the camera(s) that are going to be writing to the cards. Don't format the cards using the computer
    • Lots of batteries. Charge them all the night/day before the event. For your camera - be sure to have twice the number of batteries you expect to need. My 20D/30D usually get about 500- 600 images per battery. Yesterday, my first battery in my 30D was down to less the 20% at the 300 mark. Whoops. Glad I had the extra batteries.
    • Swap out camera batteries like you do your memory cards (before you need to) and for the same reason.
    • OMG - Just have fun!
    edited May 14, 2007
    Shima and Scott, Thanks for the tips.